Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Possibly moving to Barstow, CA...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly moving to Barstow, CA...

Well...I found out yesterday from my bosses there is a 95% chance that after 5 and a half years in Abilene. It is kind of a choice for me to be in Barstow, but I do know that there is not much to the city. I have driven through there twice on road trips from Abilene to Tracy, CA to visit family. I have chosen this because it will allow me to advance my career. I am active duty Air Force, and will be assigned to Fort Irwin. This will count as a Special Duty assignment and Army support, which will look good when I go up for E8 and E9 later on in my career. Also, this is classified as a 3 year controlled tour. That means I will not deploy from there, and after 3 years I will have to move again.

I am looking for information about living there. I am trying to decided if I should rent or buy in the area. I do want a garage where ever I live, and will likely be getting a second "beater" car. I have a feeling I will not like driving the V every day to and from work, since it is about 75 miles road trip.

If there is any advice or information you can pass along, I would really appreciate it.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
Well...I found out yesterday from my bosses there is a 95% chance that after 5 and a half years in Abilene. It is kind of a choice for me to be in Barstow, but I do know that there is not much to the city. I have driven through there twice on road trips from Abilene to Tracy, CA to visit family. I have chosen this because it will allow me to advance my career. I am active duty Air Force, and will be assigned to Fort Irwin. This will count as a Special Duty assignment and Army support, which will look good when I go up for E8 and E9 later on in my career. Also, this is classified as a 3 year controlled tour. That means I will not deploy from there, and after 3 years I will have to move again.

I am looking for information about living there. I am trying to decided if I should rent or buy in the area. I do want a garage where ever I live, and will likely be getting a second "beater" car. I have a feeling I will not like driving the V every day to and from work, since it is about 75 miles road trip.

If there is any advice or information you can pass along, I would really appreciate it.
OMG, Barstow and Abilene! I have been to both of them. I feel for ya bro! I myself would just rent. Good luck with your career.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't plan on staying in Barstow then I would rent, right now house prices are still relatively low and there has been an upswing in housing prices but unless you want to buy property just to have and keep as investment property you can do that.

Maybe some of the high desert guys should chime in.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Fort irwin is in the middle of nowhere. There is like a 30 mile highway from the freeway that takes you there. Its not in barstow its in the middle of the desert
Old 03-26-2013, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

The best del taco in the whole world
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevyrunner
Fort irwin is in the middle of nowhere. There is like a 30 mile highway from the freeway that takes you there. Its not in barstow its in the middle of the desert
This I know...I will be living in Barstow and commuting to FT Irwin.

I am also thinking about living in Victorvile, since it appears a **** load nicer the Barstow. But then I will be dealing with about a 125 mile commute round trip.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
The best del taco in the whole world
haha that's funny, agreed!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I live in Victorville and yes it is much nicer than living in Barstow IMHO. If I were in your situation I would just rent ! I have no plans on staying in the desert. On the bright side, Vegas is only 2 hours away.

Quick Reply: Possibly moving to Barstow, CA...