Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Irwindale Speedway/Drag Strip... Sold. :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Irwindale Speedway/Drag Strip... Sold. :(

Looks like we're only guaranteed racing there until the end of 2014.

Sad face.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/article/20...roperty-s-sale

http://www.hotvws.com/news2.php?contentID=96
Old 10-04-2013, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I hope they stay open, but honestly if I had to choose between the 1/8th at Irwindale and 1/4 at fontana Im choosing fontana every day of the week. 1/8th mile really isn't popular and didn't become this popular until the 1/4 mile track closed. 1/4 mile has been a bench mark for racing for years not many talk about 1/8th mile times. 1/8th mile has always been about the launch rather than true power of the 1/4. I feel like by the time Irwindale shuts down Fontana should be back up

On a second note I'd like to welcome all of the people who are trying to get rid of our drag tracks and all I have to say to them is I guess I'll see you in the streets. Dont bitch and not give another option leave our tracks and build a walmart anywhere else out there its practically a ******* wasteland.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah but Fontana sucks. And is even farther for us SFV guys.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by silvea
1/8th mile really isn't popular and didn't become this popular until the 1/4 mile track closed. 1/4 mile has been a bench mark for racing for years not many talk about 1/8th mile times. 1/8th mile has always been about the launch rather than true power of the 1/4.
I felt the same way until I started racing there. Yes, you don't get the full "fun" of the 1/4 mile track, but if you look at your 1/4 mile timeslips, you can generate a conversion factor by dividing your 1/4 mile ET by your 1/8 mile ET - usually in the range of 1.53-1.56. The conversion is spot on, as long as you don't miss your 3-4 shift. Once you have the conversion factor of your car, you can predict the 1/4 mile ET very closely, within 1-2 tenths at least.

You can do the same with mph... just subtract your 1/8 mile trap speed from your 1/4 mile trap speed... usually 22-26 mph gains in the back half.

Fontana is good because it is a 1/4 mile in SoCal... the downsides... always crowded, only one race every 6 weeks, and always during the day... HOT. Plus they limit it to 10.0 and slower cars on the street legal days.

Irwindale runs EVERY Thursday night. I wish they would run on weekend nights, but other than that, it's a great track. It has the feel of a true drag strip... lots of FAST race cars, fast street cars, and only a few "newbies" that don't know how to stage, stage with their back tires, etc. It can get crowded, but I've been there many times where you can get 5-6 runs between 5 and 10 pm.

Having said all that, I still want Fontana to open back up ASAP!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the above post. Irwindale is prepped better and yeah I know you don't get the top speed of the 1/4, but at least it's there every Thursday. If the dale shuts down and Fontana only does their usual once a month or once every two month Saturday, imagine how crowded its going to be.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And yet they complain about street racing, actually the real street racing the general public never even knows about....

At any rate, I hope it stays open and they are able to extend like they had planned to.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

I have heard that part of the negotiations were to keep the drag strip open til 2020. This was part of a conversation I overheard between my boss and the former owner of the property. It hasn't been confirmed though. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

House of Hook is always open
Old 10-17-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IT_SS
House of Hook is always open
I thought it was funny when they were cleaning the prep up... Next night people were back out laying down rubber lol....
Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
I thought it was funny when they were cleaning the prep up... Next night people were back out laying down rubber lol....
And its better than ever haha. I know that there's some sort of petition to try and get T.I. back open but I'm not holding my breathe. So Cal/LA County has not been kind to its car enthusiast residents at all. I also hear that the folks who purchased House of Drift plan to build a Wal-Mart.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Never been to house of drift...

Yeah they shut down tracks then when we take it to the street they get all butt hurt. The deaths from street racing were not even street racing they were just idiots.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Never been to house of drift...

Yeah they shut down tracks then when we take it to the street they get all butt hurt. The deaths from street racing were not even street racing they were just idiots.
House of Drift was a nick name given to Iwrindale. It cracks me up when I read about a "street racing death". Its always a honda.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IT_SS
House of Drift was a nick name given to Iwrindale. It cracks me up when I read about a "street racing death". Its always a honda.
Oh no way I never heard of Irwindale being called that lol over 160 passes at that place and never heard a thing lmao.

Yeah and it is a stock Honda with maybe intake and exhaust.... Not even a real car.... Even the Honda guys laugh at those kids...

It was bummer when they put speed bumps on mansville...

Quick Reply: Irwindale Speedway/Drag Strip... Sold. :(