Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Help, wheel issue on rear driver side!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Help, wheel issue on rear driver side!

I don't know if this thread goes here or in the suspension/brake section but here is the deal, I installed new set of wheels and tires (Michelin PSS's 18/35/275 all around) and Strano/Koni springs in the last month. Car drives great and I feel no vibrations or anything.

The other day a friend of mine told me he noticed a slight wobble on the rear driver side wheel. I have noticed a sort of squeaking noise from that side of the car when I start moving and a weird break noise when I apply the brakes at really slow speeds (kinda like how a semi sounds). The brake noise has been very intermittent while the squeaking I hear it all the time.

I work for a Toyota dealership and I had one of the mechanics take a quick look at it yesterday and while it was sitting there he noticed that that specific wheel is pointing inward a bit. Like if it has Toe-in sort of, is this normal? Im assuming it isn't since the other rear wheel looks straight. Could that be causing the slight wobble my friend saw?

The wheels and tires have been on for about a month (balanced and aligned) and the Koni/Stranos for a week but I haven't had it aligned after the suspension upgrade since I want to figure this out first. The car is a 2002 Z28 6Spd with 61K miles. Any help is greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post!
Old 09-14-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nobody has any suggestions and or input???
Old 09-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably an axle bearing.
jack that corner up and rock the wheel to see if there is noticeable play.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll do that as soon as I get some time here at work. Thanks for the suggestion bro.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE: I replaced the entire rear end with one with 4.10 gears, new bearings, axles and seals. The only reused part were my backing plates, calipers and rotors. Wheel still wobbles. If it wasn't a bent axle or bad bearing what could it be? Can't figure it out, only thing left to change would be either the caliper or the rotors. But could that cause the wheel wobble?
Old 09-16-2015, 03:27 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs down

Man.....im going through the same thing...first thet said wheel bearings, then the axles were bad, then it was rear end.....all that has been changed and I still get wobble...not as bad but noticeable, i have rims that are 5x120 and never had this issue before...I changed rear ends from a z28 on my ss same stock 3.42 but I still get wobble too...Im thinking rotors myself
Old 09-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Have you eliminated the Wheel itself? If not swap the front and back. See if the wobble follows the wheel
Old 09-16-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would check the rotor for flatness and the rims..

You have eliminated most everything else, not much else it can be..
Old 09-18-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

The wheel was the first thing that I eliminated from the equation. Swapped the rear wheels side to side and the one that didn't wobble started wobbling on the rear passenger side and the wheel that "had" the wobble spun perfectly on the rear driver side.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

ANOTHER UPDATE: Swapped in new rotors and pads, re-greased all pins and contact points while I was in there. Passenger side wheel is fine now according to a buddy of mine who was looking at it while I was driving. He said the Driver side wheel has a small wobble however. So now I'm thinking it's one of two things, either the caliper might be going out and maybe not retracting fully (old brake pads were wearing unevenly on driver side) or maybe it is a bent wheel afterall. I'm gonna swap that wheel to the front and see if the problem persists with front wheel now in the back.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE: Rotated and torqued down all the wheels. Moved Front wheels to the back and backs to front. Slight wobble persists on drive side. I'm running out of ideas, anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 02-19-2016, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
UPDATE: Rotated and torqued down all the wheels. Moved Front wheels to the back and backs to front. Slight wobble persists on drive side. I'm running out of ideas, anyone have any other suggestions?
Did you put the rear end in the air on jack stands and have someone put it into drive so you can watch first hand the wobble?
Old 02-19-2016, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Burken01
Did you put the rear end in the air on jack stands and have someone put it into drive so you can watch first hand the wobble?
Yeah, I put it on a lift at work and had one of the mechanics look at it a while back. Didn't do it this time around, just rotated them to see if the wobble followed the wheel but it didn't. So it's not a bent wheel. I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Describe the rear suspension and any aftermarket components that you have? What's stock and what's not?
Old 02-19-2016, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Burken01
Describe the rear suspension and any aftermarket components that you have? What's stock and what's not?
Only aftermarket parts on it are Koni shocks and Strano springs, aside from the 18 in wheels and Michelin PSS tires. All the bushings, swaybars, rearend..all stock.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you taken the caliper and rotor off that side and put the wheel back on and spun it? Measured the runout of the axle flange? Runout of the wheel? runout of the brake rotor?
Old 03-01-2016, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
Have you taken the caliper and rotor off that side and put the wheel back on and spun it? Measured the runout of the axle flange? Runout of the wheel? runout of the brake rotor?
I have taken the caliper off a couple of months ago when I put new pads and rotors on but I did not mount the wheel without the caliper and spun it to check. I do remember the pads showing uneven wear on the driver side when I replaced them. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "runout." Would you care to explain what you mean? Thanks
Old 03-02-2016, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

You use a dial indicator mounted to a fixed surface (differential housing) and put the needle on flat face of the rotating component (rotor, axle flange where wheel bolts to); rotate until you find the lowest point and zero the gauge. Record the highest reading and that is your runout. You can use this procedure for any rotating component. Specs can usually be found by google. I can also get them if you can't find them.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the explanation nomoneyz

Quick Reply: Help, wheel issue on rear driver side!