Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Registering 2002 SS M6 in CA from Iowa epa smog emission

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Registering 2002 SS M6 in CA from Iowa epa smog emission

Posted this in another section….I’ve been messaging a member on here back and fourth and I hate having to keep bothering him, even though he’s been a huge help thus far. Shout out RPM WS6

the vehicle I’m looking at (2002 SS M6 Vert) has this labeled under the hood indicating it meets california epa regulations, photo below.

but I’m looking at the pro codes and the YF5 RPO code isn’t present. I’m confused. It does have the FE9 RPO code for Federal Emmisins certification. For anyone that has registered a car in ca from another state, what do I have to look forward to. Can someone drop some knowledge on me regarding this? Thanks in advance
Old 12-31-2023, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,358 Posts

RPM WS6 is a stand up guy!

First off the car was emissions compliant when it left the factory and as long as it is still the same as when it left the factory and can pass the state's inspection and emiissions then you're good to go. Post some pictures of the engine and exhaust if you don't mind. Any check engine lights? Has it been modded and tuned by chance?
The following users liked this post:
FASTZ281997 (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Thi

This is what I have as far as photos go from what’s underneath the hood. No check engine light and owner states they haven’t done any mods to the car the time they’ve owned the car (past few years) and that it appears to be completely stock aside from the SLP lid and aftermarket chrome tailpipes. I know that I may have to purchase the stock intake lid when I take it to get smogged.

I am going to have a mechanic look at the car to make sure there’s nothing wrong with the car. Especially since I will be driving the car back home some 1700 miles back.

I know even if I get a smog check out there in Iowa, I’d still have to do another smog here in CA in order to register it here. But my question is, would a smog check in Iowa be able to let me know that the car WILL pass the smog here in Ca ?
Old 01-01-2024, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Clean looking under there and everything looks to be entact. Do you have an OBDII code reader you can connect to the car to check for any incompletes? If the battery gets disconnected the car will have to go through a system of emissions checks and you will have incompletes on the EVAP, O2'S and catalysts. If the seller disconnected the battery or cleared the codes prior to selling the car the SES light will not be on and the incompletes will be present until the car has been through a drive cycle usually about 75-100 miles. If all systems are ok and no incompletes then the car should pass inspection and emissions.
FASTZ281997 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

FYI the vehicle will not pass the visual with the SLP lid. I had the same issue years ago when I had the SLP lid and installed the factory one back in.
FASTZ281997 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Guz
FYI the vehicle will not pass the visual with the SLP lid. I had the same issue years ago when I had the SLP lid and installed the factory one back in.
That's a bunch of Ca B.S. right there. It's a lid for crying out loud! What could it possibly do to cause a failed emissions test?
The following 2 users liked this post by 01CamaroSSTx:
FASTZ281997 (01-05-2024), wannafbody (01-07-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Guz
I showed my smog guy a photo of the engine and all he mentioned to me as long as there no check engine light and no incompletes show up, car will pass.

but I am purchasing an oem lid just in case
Old 01-05-2024, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
That's a bunch of Ca B.S. right there. It's a lid for crying out loud! What could it possibly do to cause a failed emissions test?

California can definitely be a petty state
Old 01-05-2024, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Clean looking under there and everything looks to be entact. Do you have an OBDII code reader you can connect to the car to check for any incompletes? If the battery gets disconnected the car will have to go through a system of emissions checks and you will have incompletes on the EVAP, O2'S and catalysts. If the seller disconnected the battery or cleared the codes prior to selling the car the SES light will not be on and the incompletes will be present until the car has been through a drive cycle usually about 75-100 miles. If all systems are ok and no incompletes then the car should pass inspection and emissions.

car inspection is set for Wednesday @ 11 am. If all goes well, which I’m hopeful it will, I’ll be driving the car back home soon. I appreciate all the assists fellas
Old 01-06-2024, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

years back I did an emissions legal LS1 swap into my '84 T/A and had the state approve it. It failed my first attempt and part of that was because of the aftermarket cold air intake I had on it. they told me that any part(s) on the engine that have an emissions component on it must be the correct OEM or CARB approved part. in this case cold air intake it has the IAT sensor on it and attaches to the MAF, which was why it was required to be an OEM part (ended up using a 2004 GTO air filter to pass as nothing else would fit) so unless that SLP part has a CARB # for your car, it would fail the emissions inspection. hope this helps explain more as to why they would fail it here. and no, it didn't make the car run any worse. the car ran clean. it was merely a visual fail.

Old 01-07-2024, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tuske427
years back I did an emissions legal LS1 swap into my '84 T/A and had the state approve it. It failed my first attempt and part of that was because of the aftermarket cold air intake I had on it. they told me that any part(s) on the engine that have an emissions component on it must be the correct OEM or CARB approved part. in this case cold air intake it has the IAT sensor on it and attaches to the MAF, which was why it was required to be an OEM part (ended up using a 2004 GTO air filter to pass as nothing else would fit) so unless that SLP part has a CARB # for your car, it would fail the emissions inspection. hope this helps explain more as to why they would fail it here. and no, it didn't make the car run any worse. the car ran clean. it was merely a visual fail.
Exactly this. SLP stated their CAI or lid are not 50 state emission legal along with no CARB #. That is the reason for the non-pass.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

The SLP lid WILL pass emissions as long as it has the IAT sensor installed (if year requires it). the only thing I see is that there are no MAF ends holding the MAF, however, I do not think the smog people are that smart when it come to the smaller things.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Did it pass smog?

Quick Reply: Registering 2002 SS M6 in CA from Iowa epa smog emission