Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

street racing a felony ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isn't it true that most deaths classified as street racing....are not real street racing related....
Just cause some dumb *** under the age of 25 in a Camaro is doing 120+ and loses control....kills himself as well as the passengers......considered STREET RACING DEATHS......
Same situation a 40yr. old travelling thru a freeway at night in a Toyota Camry doing 120+, loses control kills himself....etc..... Reckless driver... doesn't make the morning news.....
Compare true street racing deaths....against true DUI related deaths.....
and I ask myself WTF.........
very good point
Old 09-24-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can kill someone by running over them, but as long as you weren't speeding, are sober and stayed there, you'll get 1 pt on your record. Peel out at a red light, and get caught, 2 pts on your record.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Here is the link to the channel 2 news brief.
It is not a felony, he did however increase the fines to $500 and jail time to 3-6mos. (for theose of you who didn't know, a felony is 1+yrs in PRISON, and a fine of more than $1K), and of course the ususal confiscation of your vehicle stay the same.

http://cbs2.com/localbriefs#story11
Old 09-24-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see whats not understood is that regardless of if you race at 4am in the middle of nowhere....or noon in the middle of traffic....someone can die...if you die out by urself someones going to get on the news and bitch about how the cops should have done something blah blah blah.....just like someone said earlier, you gotta pay to play....so just deal with getting pulled over if you do
Old 09-24-2006, 07:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Here is the link to the channel 2 news brief.
It is not a felony, he did however increase the fines to $500 and jail time to 3-6mos. (for theose of you who didn't know, a felony is 1+yrs in PRISON, and a fine of more than $1K), and of course the ususal confiscation of your vehicle stay the same.

http://cbs2.com/localbriefs#story11
felony is not mandatory 1+ years in prison, i have a friend that got a felony and got 180 days house arrest, and 3 years formal probation.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Racing is racing... You run the same risk to yourself and the other party involved if you are @ the track, or on a closed street in the middle of no where... Racing in the city and in traffic is dumb, and i agree that inocent people can get hurt...
Old 09-24-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Juiced
it's simple don't street race and you won't have to worry about becoming a felon or lossing your car/license/freedom.
Hehe...Thats like saying "It's simple. You can work on your RC race boat all you want, but dont race it in the lake or else you get arrested. Oh, and you'll also get the one thing in your life you enjoy taken away from you."
Old 09-25-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ that makes no sense....why do we have race tracks then?.....and before i got into law enforcement, i used to work on RC cars and LS1's...weird...but when people would race the rc cars in the parking lot id warn them....its a damn parking lot, it might get ran over....and sometimes there 400$ HPI car would meet up with a full sized chevy...AND I WOULD LAUGH AT THEM FOR BEING DUMBASSES...instead of just racing it on the track we had in the back, they wanted to show boat in the parking lot and wreck there ****.....
Old 09-25-2006, 03:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by staringback05
we have speed limits for reasons....all these laws and rules have been passed by represintives that YOU all elected....my job is to enforce it no matter what it is
Speed limits are also designed to gernerate revenue. They are notoriously set below efficient standard models for flowing traffic. It's not a coincidence that the heaviest traffic enforcement is during "ideal" weather conditions.

And you enforce no matter what it is? What Police Academy taught you that? Ever heard of "spirit of the law?" Subjectivity? Discretion? Commonsense decision making?. That is a clear example of black and white "non- critical" thinking on your part. Although I admit, being a cop doesn't require a who lot of thinking to begin with; "If this happens do this, if that happens do that." Do you not see the many variations of a speed contest? Having your sig read free flat screen for writing 1500 tickets a week is tooting your own horn. I am sure your I.A. division would love that comment. It's probably best to not mention what department you work for and save them the indignation.

You dimiss everyone's gripes here by saying "you elected them and I just enforce it." Do you really think just because a law is on the book it is right? Slavery of Blacks used to be a law; in our short California history, years ago you would receive money from the State of Califonia by killing Native Americans. Ever heard the term "rule of thumb" it came from a law that said a man can not hit his wife with a stick larger than his thumb. Lastly, lets not forget the Jim Crow laws. If the above examples were laws today would you enforce them like you stated you would? Years ago before I decided to go into law, I worked as a cop. As an FTO, I was assigned a guy who thought like you did. I am not exaggerating when I tell you he unreasonably postured himself against a citizen (who was merely suspected of commiting an infraction by the way) and said "I don't make the laws I only enforce them." I told him AND the administration he needed to lighten up before the end of his training. When he was off on his own he screwed himself with his black and white abrasive personality and got himself fired before his probation was over.

You infer that you would never engage in any sprited driving next to someone even in safe conditions and having been trained in high performance driving?...I think you do. And your hypocrisy stands out especially with the attitude of " I enforce the laws no matter what and is in my signature. Contrary to popular belief, a badge is not a symbol of power, it is a symbol of trust. For police to build trust and earn respect with the public they must be fair and reasonble, not rightious and oppressive.

Last edited by Built LT1; 09-25-2006 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^ something youve failed to put in your statement is ethics....i swore to uphold the laws of this country, of my state, and the policies of my department....as for the policy of giving tickets during ideal conditions....that might be true, but we also have a policy of giving stiffer fines and punishment for violations during less then ideal conditions, we enforce those whenever possible.....as for being a FTO, why are you letting a officer on probation stop someone on MERE SUSPICION?, i would have been form foured and green sheeted for that...IF i only stopped them because of that and proceded to hassle the person.

i wont go into california politics either about the states laws you have there and policies of your departments....i work in north east florida and our speed limits are set very generously actually, using common sense and problem solving is a every day thing, its when it all boils down....THAT IT BECOMES BLACK AND WHITE....when im done with a shift, my job doesnt come home....and my home life doesnt get involved in my job....but i live a fun life, i go surfing, i work on my car, and hangout with friends...alot of officers cant do that

as for me racing someone on the road?...no...i dont, becuase i work the DOA car scenes....i know what can happen, besides what do i have to prove to anyone when im out driving my car...there are rarely in my area any cars that can run under a 13 sec. 1/4 mile....i know what MY car can do...thats all that matters

and finally about my sig.....being someone who is talking about being outside the black and white....you being someone who used to be a police officer should see the sarcasm involved with such a statement, because writing tickets is a point that police officers are usually and only judged on

people race, people speed, people drive drunk.....they get tickets...bottom line
Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Built LT1
Speed limits are also designed to gernerate revenue. They are notoriously set below efficient standard models for flowing traffic. It's not a coincidence that the heaviest traffic enforcement is during "ideal" weather conditions.

And you enforce no matter what it is? What Police Academy taught you that? Ever heard of "spirit of the law?" Subjectivity? Discretion? Commonsense decision making?. That is a clear example of black and white "non- critical" thinking on your part. Although I admit, being a cop doesn't require a who lot of thinking to begin with; "If this happens do this, if that happens do that." Do you not see the many variations of a speed contest? Having your sig read free flat screen for writing 1500 tickets a week is tooting your own horn. I am sure your I.A. division would love that comment. It's probably best to not mention what department you work for and save them the indignation.

You dimiss everyone's gripes here by saying "you elected them and I just enforce it." Do you really think just because a law is on the book it is right? Slavery of Blacks used to be a law; in our short California history, years ago you would receive money from the State of Califonia by killing Native Americans. Ever heard the term "rule of thumb" it came from a law that said a man can not hit his wife with a stick larger than his thumb. Lastly, lets not forget the Jim Crow laws. If the above examples were laws today would you enforce them like you stated you would? Years ago before I decided to go into law, I worked as a cop. As an FTO, I was assigned a guy who thought like you did. I am not exaggerating when I tell you he unreasonably postured himself against a citizen (who was merely suspected of commiting an infraction by the way) and said "I don't make the laws I only enforce them." I told him AND the administration he needed to lighten up before the end of his training. When he was off on his own he screwed himself with his black and white abrasive personality and got himself fired before his probation was over.

You infer that you would never engage in any sprited driving next to someone even in safe conditions and having been trained in high performance driving?...I think you do. And your hypocrisy stands out especially with the attitude of " I enforce the laws no matter what and is in my signature. Contrary to popular belief, a badge is not a symbol of power, it is a symbol of trust. For police to build trust and earn respect with the public they must be fair and reasonble, not rightious and oppressive.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by THE LAST Z
Hehe...Thats like saying "It's simple. You can work on your RC race boat all you want, but dont race it in the lake or else you get arrested. Oh, and you'll also get the one thing in your life you enjoy taken away from you."

hey i used to race rc cars too and once a buggy flew off the track and injured my ankle. that bastard should have been arrested and his rc car impounded!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Built LT1
Actually speedlimits are set by traffic studies, the city/county/state is required to perform a traffic study every 5 years (by a private consultant) to evaluate the speeds an all public right-of-ways. The speed limit is set at the 85 percentile for traffic flow.

You can actually fight most speeding tickets being that municipalities tend to forget to renew their traffic studies, if the study is expired then the speedlimit id deemed illegal and the ticket gets dismissed.

I really suggest you take the time to do some research before you run your mouth.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Street racing is bad mmmmkay.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Launching!

^^^ that makes no sense....why do we have race tracks then?.....and before i got into law enforcement, i used to work on RC cars and LS1's...weird...but when people would race the rc cars in the parking lot id warn them....its a damn parking lot, it might get ran over....and sometimes there 400$ HPI car would meet up with a full sized chevy...AND I WOULD LAUGH AT THEM FOR BEING DUMBASSES...instead of just racing it on the track we had in the back, they wanted to show boat in the parking lot and wreck there ****.....
You wonder why people hate cops! its cuz racist douches like you that get badges and try and play god! i should have known you were a cop! with comments like "the damn cubans are taken over my state and need to go back from where they came" its no wonder why ur saying you will ticket guys for racing there rc cars in a parking lot! Dont go saying im a cop hater either. i just hate guys like you that become cops and become power hungry! just an fyi my dads CHP, uncles a sheriff and my other uncle is PD!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

^^ something youve failed to put in your statement is ethics....i swore to uphold the laws of this country, of my state, and the policies of my department....as for the policy of giving tickets during ideal conditions....that might be true, but we also have a policy of giving stiffer fines and punishment for violations during less then ideal conditions, we enforce those whenever possible.....as for being a FTO, why are you letting a officer on probation stop someone on MERE SUSPICION?, i would have been form foured and green sheeted for that...IF i only stopped them because of that and proceded to hassle the person.

i wont go into california politics either about the states laws you have there and policies of your departments....i work in north east florida and our speed limits are set very generously actually, using common sense and problem solving is a every day thing, its when it all boils down....THAT IT BECOMES BLACK AND WHITE....when im done with a shift, my job doesnt come home....and my home life doesnt get involved in my job....but i live a fun life, i go surfing, i work on my car, and hangout with friends...alot of officers cant do that

as for me racing someone on the road?...no...i dont, becuase i work the DOA car scenes....i know what can happen, besides what do i have to prove to anyone when im out driving my car...there are rarely in my area any cars that can run under a 13 sec. 1/4 mile....i know what MY car can do...thats all that matters

and finally about my sig.....being someone who is talking about being outside the black and white....you being someone who used to be a police officer should see the sarcasm involved with such a statement, because writing tickets is a point that police officers are usually and only judged on

people race, people speed, people drive drunk.....they get tickets...bottom line
heres the bottom line, your a pig, ****** rank smelling pig, one to inforce laws to protect people, its another to enforce them to make yourself feel more powerful, and you go home to your wife and say "honey i wrote up this kid today in a camaro for exhibition of speed, he chirped his tire from an intersection, so i impounded his car and then booked him, arent i badass honey". I guess this ego trip of yours is making up for other inadequate little things in your life that just quite cant get the job done and your wife knows it.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

^^^^ dayyuuuum. you can't all call us punk *** kids and ****, seeing as I too serve the county/government -- it is just obvious most of us have had a run in on more than one occasion with an ******* cop, definitely on the power trip because nothing can touch them.

I am going to ask you, if you can honestly tell me you have never done anything illegal while driving your car on a public roadway, never put new exhaust on it and were so excited that you went 15, 20mph above posted limit on a deserted road? Say you busted a good buddy, also a cop that worked with you, for "exhibition of speed/power" would you still ticket him? I'm sure you will claim to say yes, but I don't really see that happening. Most cops think they are better than everyone else (civilians) which is the problem I see a lot.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Juiced
Actually speedlimits are set by traffic studies, the city/county/state is required to perform a traffic study every 5 years (by a private consultant) to evaluate the speeds an all public right-of-ways. The speed limit is set at the 85 percentile for traffic flow.

You can actually fight most speeding tickets being that municipalities tend to forget to renew their traffic studies, if the study is expired then the speedlimit id deemed illegal and the ticket gets dismissed.

I really suggest you take the time to do some research before you run your mouth.
Relax, it was more of a hyperbole to illustrate my point.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Relax, it was more of a hyperbole to illustrate my point.
I find metaphors work better with less intelligent crowds than exaggeration (Not towards anyone here). People tend to get more pissed off when you go over the top with details.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
well i admit i streetrace from time to time, but i do not race in traffic, when innocent people could get killed, i will go out in the middle of nowhere, and race and the only people that will get hurt is the guy i am racing against, and myself. i do think people that race in high traffic areas, should lose their license, but i also think racing in the middle of nowhere and a sheriff just happens to troll on by, that shouldnt be considered a felony, or be able to lose your license and car for. but thats just my opinion.
I second this. The main point being 2 people in the middle of nowhere both know the inherent risks in their actions, versus the innocent bystander who gets victimized.

People can't compare this situation with street racing that could harm an innocent person (busy street, weaving in/out of traffic, etc). If you do, its like saying taking someone's life is always against the law (it's not).

It's not the action but the circumstances that accompany the action that dictates if it's illegal or not.

Quick Reply: street racing a felony ?