Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Any CA surfers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Mustang Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Any CA surfers out there?

Hey guys some of us Texas boys are looking to make a trip to California to learn to surf. We'll be headed that direction at the tail end of this August.

I'm working on setting up all the details right now and would like some guidance. Basically, I'm looking to stay in a town that is close(within 20 minutes) from a few different beaches with good wave quality. Any recommendations?

We're also interested in taking a surf lesson or two on our first day so we can spend the rest of our trip doing our best surf impressions lol.

Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Arron
Old 06-23-2007, 02:52 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Used to surf all the time...its been a while now.

Anyway, San Clemente has a ton of surf spots. This is probley your best bet.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Mustang Moderator

Originally Posted by Lithium
Used to surf all the time...its been a while now.

Anyway, San Clemente has a ton of surf spots. This is probley your best bet.
Thanks for the heads-up! Can you recall the names of any of the surf spots? Thanks once again!
Old 06-23-2007, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

san clemente is good, huntington is a good place too, thats about 20 minutes from my house and all you have to do is cruise up pch and hit many many different beaches
Old 06-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

yeah..he's right huntington beach is nice. also venice beach is coo and you can go from venice to malibu straight down pch going north....venice is more close to los angeles, hollywood and all that good stuff...san clemente and huntington beach is about 45 minutes from los angeles...but anyways good luck man.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Mustang Moderator

Thanks for all of the help guys! I am thinking San Clemente will be nice to stay at. Worst case scenario we can stay there a night, move North and surf the day, and spend the second night near Huntington. Maybe head out to Hollywood at night for some good times.

Anyone know of any good surf instruction in or near San Clemente? There are a few online, but I'd prefer to go somewhere thats got some clout behind it, I trust you LS1Tech folks!

Arron
Old 06-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Huntington ???! I was there this weekend and the waves were nasty! You might wanna try Venice if your learning how to surf though, you might get hurt in san Clemente or HB, those waves can be unforgiving lol.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been surfing since i was 7yrs old... i was sponsored by Katin, Pure Juice, HIC, and lastly Hurley..

Are you guys learning? Short Board or long board?

If you like being around ********, people that hate "Barno's" out in "Their home break".. then go to Huntington beach Northside Pier.. tons of ********* there that will give you crap for being a person that "doesnt belong there"..

if you're looking for some waves, without 19-25 yr old hardasses trying to prove something.. go to north Newport beach.. like 60th street +.. very mellow, hardly anyone out there.. good place for a long board (and if you havent surfed, i would suggest a long board since its more stable and easier to get up)

if you can ride, and have "some" experience on a short board.. there are plenty of spots, 54th st newport, 36th.. Salt Creek in Dana Point, Rock Pile in Laguna, Trestles in San Clemente, San Clemente pier... T-street ect.

if you want some SLOW small rollers, and all long boards, go to Doheny (Doe He-Knee) in Dana point.. water is a little dirty but you can for sure pick up some slow rollers to learn there.. + there are a few shops there that might rent you a board.

the few shops in Newport Beach i would reccomend would be TK's Frog House in North Newport on Pacific Coast Highway, or The Green Room a few stores down from TK's.. family run, very cool people, small surf shops..

if you want to check the waves and weather.. go to www.surfline.com they have live cams there so you can check out the waves, live, before you go.. if you want the # to newport beach surf and weather observations (kind of like surfline but on a daily recording) call 949-673-3371.. updated every morning at 7am.. sometimes updated in the afternoon too.

the places i mentioned are all in Orange County.. if you wind up staying in San Diego County, i can give you info on that too.. same with LA (dont reccomend LA, OC is MUCH nicer)

hope this helps.

Last edited by GR33N GoblinM6; 06-25-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The even exchange rate is one hour of surfing lessons for one hour of bullriding lessons.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Launching!

I live in Oceanside, there are a few nice spots here too, but yea basicaly anywhere along PCH is good. Are you bringing your own board or are you going to buy when you get here? I wouldnt spend money on lessons, im sure people around here would help you out for the basics, hell if you guys come by here ill show you a thing or two.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

he will show you how to drown
Old 06-25-2007, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
he will show you how to drown
or how to escape a shark attack.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Mustang Moderator

Thanks for all of the help guys! We're going to be spending both nights in San Clemente it looks like.

We won't be bringing any boards with us, just looking to rent. Although it is a Buick Roadmaster, so they may fit on the roof
Old 06-26-2007, 02:16 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

You will love san clemente...good choice. Most surf shops around the area will rent you a board. I still have my longboard as well, I would not mind lending to you for a couple days. My brother has atleast 10 shortboards as well - Iam guessing that you are going to try to longboard though. Also be sure to walk around all those shops downtown and around the pier. The harbour next to doheny beach is my favorite place to go (they have the Pilgram ship their as well) also a lot of good bars in the area - Hennessys is probley the best and thats in Dana Point.

As far as a good spot, go to doheny state beach. I surfed that place for a few years and it was pretty much perfect for longboarding. Pretty long waves and never anything big. It will probley be crowded and all that so morning or later in the afternoon is probley best. If you want to go anywhere else there are probley 15 other spots.

Quick Reply: Any CA surfers out there?