Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

what are the odds?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the odds?

Yesterday i was on my way to get my car tuned, so after i get there it goes right up on the dyno and everything seems to be going good after the first tweak with the fuel trim it was already sounding better at start up, the guy tuning it had it down to half a percent accurate on the air fuel trim. so it was within an hour of being done, it was ready to start getting some dyno pulls. he started checking the throttle ranges and when he revd it up to half throttle when it came back down to idle it died, out of nowhere he pressed the release valve on the fuel rails and he said like two or three drops came out he tried jumping the relay off another one to make sure it wasn't the fuse... now i'm stuck in between it being the fuel pump or the fuel filter being clogged, good news is i have a walbro pump already to replace it but if it's the filter i'm not gonna change the pump unless there's no other reason why it won't start. anybody have any suggestions what else it could be? i'm stranded up in north cali till i get it fixed... seems every time i try upgrading her she wants to struggle and have a fit... seriously any suggestions would be appreciated also if you need more info let me know
Old 08-15-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by beezer1519
Yesterday i was on my way to get my car tuned, so after i get there it goes right up on the dyno and everything seems to be going good after the first tweak with the fuel trim it was already sounding better at start up, the guy tuning it had it down to half a percent accurate on the air fuel trim. so it was within an hour of being done, it was ready to start getting some dyno pulls. he started checking the throttle ranges and when he revd it up to half throttle when it came back down to idle it died, out of nowhere he pressed the release valve on the fuel rails and he said like two or three drops came out he tried jumping the relay off another one to make sure it wasn't the fuse... now i'm stuck in between it being the fuel pump or the fuel filter being clogged, good news is i have a walbro pump already to replace it but if it's the filter i'm not gonna change the pump unless there's no other reason why it won't start. anybody have any suggestions what else it could be? i'm stranded up in north cali till i get it fixed... seems every time i try upgrading her she wants to struggle and have a fit... seriously any suggestions would be appreciated also if you need more info let me know
Have you hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to it yet? So there's gas in it, the relay is good and you are getting zero pressure to the rails? Then the only thing I can think of would be the pump. A clogged fuel filter would likely cause low pressure, not zero pressure.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Launching!

ima go take a look at it today with my cousin and all his cool tools lol... thanks i wouldn't think a clogged filter would just plug all the way up but we'll see. i hear the pump start up but not pressure... maybe it's just going through the motions and not pumping? is that possible
Old 08-15-2008, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

the plugged filter may be the cause for the pump dying early, replace the filter and check for pressure, if no presssure check for power, if power is good then replace the pump.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
the plugged filter may be the cause for the pump dying early, replace the filter and check for pressure, if no presssure check for power, if power is good then replace the pump.
Well put.

ima go take a look at it today with my cousin and all his cool tools lol... thanks i wouldn't think a clogged filter would just plug all the way up but we'll see. i hear the pump start up but not pressure... maybe it's just going through the motions and not pumping? is that possible
Only if its broken. If you hear it priming, its getting power.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Launching!

the car's got 92,000 miles on it and i'm pretty sure it's the pump that came with it if that helps any
Old 08-15-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

the car's got 92,000 miles on it and i'm pretty sure it's the pump that came with it if that helps any
It's not unheard of for a pump to go out with that mileage.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
It's not unheard of for a pump to go out with that mileage.
not at all i was just trying to see if any of you knew of anything else it could be?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Launching!

One possibility is the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel-rail. If it got stuck open, you'd have pretty much no pressure, as the pumped fuel would just circle through the fuel-rail and return back to the tank.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TA-Swede
One possibility is the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel-rail. If it got stuck open, you'd have pretty much no pressure, as the pumped fuel would just circle through the fuel-rail and return back to the tank.
LS1's don't have a return line.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Launching!

damn...i got almost the same deal going on....but in my infinate wisdom i ran outta gaas and burned my pump....
Old 08-15-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01black
damn...i got almost the same deal going on....but in my infinate wisdom i ran outta gaas and burned my pump....
That's usually the truth behind "my fuel pump bit the dust".
Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
That's usually the truth behind "my fuel pump bit the dust".

the cold harsh truth.....
Old 08-15-2008, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

did youre car ever do this before? have you noticed anything weird about its driving habits lately? what about the tuner, im not here to bash on no one but, did he double check to make sure nothing happened tuning wise?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Launching!

yeah after it didn't want to start he flashed tuned the stock tune back in to make sure... i got my cousin to look at it today he went out there with a fuel pressure tester and it had operating pressure... checked the fuel injectors they were working properly... checked the spark plug wires eureka we got it no spark... called the tuner guy up and he said that bad crankshaft sensor would equal no spark... well checked the ground on the back of the driver head i know it was screwed in tight because i went to tighten it and my buddy already had done it... so i bought a new crankshaft sensor today and will go try that tomorrow keep your fingers crossed... any other suggestions or does that sound about right? the tuner guy told me ls1's are notorious for f'n up crank sensors... i don't know but hey it makes sense my cousin said no crank sensor no spark... so i guess we'll see tomorrow i'll keep you guys updated just in case any of you ever run into this problem "cranks but won't start." oh yeah changed the fuel filter just because... if anybody else has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it as i don't want to be stranded here when my classes start on monday. could get a bus ticket but it's not a camaro lol
Old 08-16-2008, 01:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98trans-am
did youre car ever do this before? have you noticed anything weird about its driving habits lately? what about the tuner, im not here to bash on no one but, did he double check to make sure nothing happened tuning wise?
Tuner is a great guy i don't know him personally but i've met him a couple times and he seems like a cool dude... I DON'T WANT ANY MISUNDERSTANDINGS I'M NOT HERE TO BASH ON HIM OR HIS WORK HELL I'M TAKING THE CAR BACK TO HIM WHEN I GET IT RUNNING i'm here to try to find out what's wrong with my car. he flashed the stock tune back in before he said it wouldn't start... SERIOUSLY CAN'T STRESS IT ENOUGH DIDN'T EVER QUESTION HIM OR HIS WORK... JUST TRYING TO ANALYZE lol the only thing i'm mad about is i haven't got to beat on my car since the mods i just want to drive is all lol
Old 08-16-2008, 04:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely the pump man, when a pump goes out its most likely the fin that pushes the fuel through the electric motor, so u may hear the pump spinning but its not pressurizing any fuel
Old 08-16-2008, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Had a somewhat similar prob on my bro's lt1, ended up being the coil.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Launching!

well i'll find out today if it's the crankshaft sensor which isn't letting me get spark... and ae it's not the pump it had operating pressure and was working just fine... i'll know by later today if it was the sensor that was screwing **** up or not we'll see and Formula i thought it might be the coil packs too but what are the odds they all go bad on one shot i don't even know if that's possible but thank you everyone i appreciate your advice and past run ins with these sort of things keep it coming because if i can't get it to run today it's going to have to be towed... and it doesn't look as good in the back of a flat bed as it does on the street.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

i didnt read through the whole thread, but if your fuel pump took a dump, you need to change the filter as well...

Quick Reply: what are the odds?