What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 Convertible

I'm considering selling my '02 Trans Am M6 'vert that just turned over 15,000 miles. I've owned the car since new, it was bought as a '02 model-year leftover in February 2003. It's been in a climate controlled garage since I've owned it and has only been on wet roads maybe 2 or 3 times. The undercarriage is as clean as the upper body and interior. It's still riding on the factory Goodyears that have approximately 1/2 of the original tread left on them. Car has not been abused in any way, as I had a dedicated drag car for racing.

It does have the typical bolt-ons - SLP lid, belllows, STB, subframe connectors and a Loud Mouth exhaust & y-pipe. It also has UMI LCA and PHB, a LPW rear girdle, and a Pro 5.0 shifter with Lou's Short Stick. I kept all the stock parts and have them boxed. I even had the factory exhaust removed in one piece so it could be re-installed at a later date without having to patch it together.

I sold my race-only '83 Camaro last year, and find myself missing going to the track. I picked up a '02 Z28 with low miles (44,000) that I daily drive, and I am toying with the idea of building that into a street / strip car. I figure I could finance building the Z28 with what I could get for the 'vert.

What do you think would be a fair number to ask for the TA?
Attached Thumbnails 2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 Convertible-33555145-792.jpg  
Old 06-25-2014, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

$19K to $20K is what I'd be looking at for a clean, unmodified car with 15K miles. These are typically priced at $19K to $23K with under 20K miles. But, I doubt many are selling at higher than $21K privately unless they are exceptional originals with under 10K miles. Your pool of buyers is probably reduced somewhat due the modifications....though somewhat negated by the 1 owner status. Finding a cash buyer is the hard part. I figure these verts bring about $2K more than a similar mileage coupe. You can find the pricing on the coupes much easier. The orig equipment tires are probably a $500 deduction.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Why Deduct for Original Tires? I know plenty of Collectors that Still want original Tires.. Even if they have Flat Spots on them... On the Turbo TA I have I know I have been asked by Every Serious buyer if I have the Original Gatorbacks. So yes If you want to drive it For sure put new tires on but KEEP the originals, if it planned on staying a low mile car.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I agree with Firebrian, perhaps $1,000 - $1,500 less after all is said and done after negotiations. The mods are indeed a distraction to some potential buyers, reducing the already thin market even less.
dwhess504 has a good point about saving the original tires for the next owner. If the next owner is a 'collector' it would be just as much appreciated as you keeping all the original 'stock' parts.
If the car is going to be driven though by the new owner, yes, those tires are a certainly a deduction when the new buyer has to consider an additional $800+ for a quality set of tires. No one should be driving interstate speeds on 12 year old rubber. The date code on the tires is probably even older. DON"T buy new tires for the car though. It is better to allow for price negotiating than to do that. Some people (myself included) are very particular what tire/brand you put on the car. If they hate your choice (made in China, mongrel brand, etc..) there is absolutely no advantage to having them on the car.
GLWS!!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dwhess504
Why Deduct for Original Tires? I know plenty of Collectors that Still want original Tires.. Even if they have Flat Spots on them... On the Turbo TA I have I know I have been asked by Every Serious buyer if I have the Original Gatorbacks. So yes If you want to drive it For sure put new tires on but KEEP the originals, if it planned on staying a low mile car.
I'd want the original tires too. But, I probably wouldn't want to pay hundreds of dollars for them. I kept the original 15K mile tires off my '99 SS. This way I can show the next owner of the car an idea of how the car was driven in its first 13 years. Having the original tires would be way down my check list of things I'd want in a top quality car. If they come with a car great. If not, I can think of a dozen things I'd prefer about a car than the original tires.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$20K I believe even with the mods since you have all the original parts
Just find the right buyer
Old 06-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks to all of you for your responses. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but at least now I have a good idea for a starting point on pricing it.
I definitely would put all the stock parts back on before I would attempt to sell it, and either sell the aftermarket stuff on here, or transfer them to my
Z28.

A valid point is made on the 12-year old tires. This has crossed my mind as I'm driving down the interstate at 70-75 mph. If I decide to keep it,
a set of OE Wheels (I've always liked the black Z06 wheels)and decent quality tires are on the agenda, and then put the stock wheels / tires into storage.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck02WS6
Thanks to all of you for your responses. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but at least now I have a good idea for a starting point on pricing it.
I definitely would put all the stock parts back on before I would attempt to sell it, and either sell the aftermarket stuff on here, or transfer them to my
Z28.

A valid point is made on the 12-year old tires. This has crossed my mind as I'm driving down the interstate at 70-75 mph. If I decide to keep it,
a set of OE Wheels (I've always liked the black Z06 wheels)and decent quality tires are on the agenda, and then put the stock wheels / tires into storage.
There ya go! Nice to have options. Best of luck!
Old 07-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Teching In

My dad just bought this one for $20,500. Bone stock A4
https://ls1tech.com/forums/what-wort...000-miles.html

Like him I was a little hesitate on him buying a 12 year old car for 20K but he said it was perfect.

Quick Reply: 2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 Convertible