What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Mind checking another one for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mind checking another one for me?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...cs-inside.html

Looking at this one but I feel like the price is a little up there. I think it's a 10k car after reading the "seller" sticky seeing as it's modded and such. What do you guys think am I in the wrong?
Old 01-03-2016, 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Please keep pricing debates in this section only, not in the seller's ad. For this reason, I deleted the post you made there. If you wish to make a legitimate offer that's fine, but any debate/discussion about price should remain here and out of the actual ad.

Not sure if this was the original price from when the car was first listed several months ago, but if so then that would be indication that the price is too high (as it hasn't sold in all this time.) Having said that, it appears to be an original 345hp package SS so that will increase value for some buyers (though the premium for this is less due to the mileage and the fact the car isn't totally stock.) Ultimately, it's just an asking price and it doesn't mean that the seller is firm and unwilling to entertain offers.

The seller states, "I assure you that you will not find a cleaner unmolested SS car. I say that with confidence, not cockiness." This isn't true, as the car is in fact modified (therefore it's not "unmolested") and, at 50k miles, I'm sure there are even cleaner cars with less mileage. That doesn't mean it's not an extremely nice car, it may be exceptional in person, but just as there is always someone with a faster car, there is also always a car in better shape (unless you have an '02 SS with 3-digit mileage or less, you can rest assured that you don't have the cleanest one in the country.)
Old 01-03-2016, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

12k imo
Old 01-03-2016, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

I would say it's a 13k car in that condition, low miles, mods, and full service records/reciepts as he has. However, both kbb and nada put it much lower than that, but they always do for older camaros. They also say my 94's are only worth like 3 grand or less, which is bullshit. Pretty much everyone here knows a good clean example lt1 will run 4-6 grand, depending on mileage. So, here in Ohio at least, this would be a 12-13k car.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Please keep pricing debates in this section only, not in the seller's ad. For this reason, I deleted the post you made there. If you wish to make a legitimate offer that's fine, but any debate/discussion about price should remain here and out of the actual ad.

Not sure if this was the original price from when the car was first listed several months ago, but if so then that would be indication that the price is too high (as it hasn't sold in all this time.) Having said that, it appears to be an original 345hp package SS so that will increase value for some buyers (though the premium for this is less due to the mileage and the fact the car isn't totally stock.) Ultimately, it's just an asking price and it doesn't mean that the seller is firm and unwilling to entertain offers.

The seller states, "I assure you that you will not find a cleaner unmolested SS car. I say that with confidence, not cockiness." This isn't true, as the car is in fact modified (therefore it's not "unmolested") and, at 50k miles, I'm sure there are even cleaner cars with less mileage. That doesn't mean it's not an extremely nice car, it may be exceptional in person, but just as there is always someone with a faster car, there is also always a car in better shape (unless you have an '02 SS with 3-digit mileage or less, you can rest assured that you don't have the cleanest one in the country.)
Oh, gotcha good looking out
Old 01-04-2016, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

It does look like a sweet car and probably worth that money, but yes, priced too high for an actual sale. Worth does not = a sales price in most instances. My car is worth $15k to me too, but selling it means thousands less. I don't kid myself. Due to the mods, that Camaro appeals to mostly the young male demographic which has little money to spend. The seller would be doing well to get $11k - $12k this time of year if he can find someone with the $$$. Again, cash is tough to find around young men and loans just as difficult for a now 14 year old used car. If you are truly interested just offer whatever you feel comfortable with. All he can say is 'no'. Then move on. Cash is king this time of year. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2016, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
It does look like a sweet car and probably worth that money, but yes, priced too high for an actual sale. Worth does not = a sales price in most instances. My car is worth $15k to me too, but selling it means thousands less. I don't kid myself. Due to the mods, that Camaro appeals to mostly the young male demographic which has little money to spend. The seller would be doing well to get $11k - $12k this time of year if he can find someone with the $$$. Again, cash is tough to find around young men and loans just as difficult for a now 14 year old used car. If you are truly interested just offer whatever you feel comfortable with. All he can say is 'no'. Then move on. Cash is king this time of year. Good luck!
Very good points, I agree.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In peak summer months I'd expect to get a fully stock 20K-25K mile 2002 SS M6 CME car for around $14.5K-$15.5K. Probably $2K-$3K difference for those extra 20K-25K miles. Another deduction for the additional exterior black out areas assuming they are painted and not decals. The performance changes could be a + or - depending on who you are and what you desire. I'd consider them a moderate plus since the car should handle better. How long has the monster level 3 clutch been in the car? Preferably long enough to flag any potential issues.

I have a 17K mile SS M6 and I can assure you there are dozens of flaws in the exterior that I could point out to anyone (paint, glass, undercarriage, weatherstrip, mirrors, wheels, exhaust, wheel wells, rockers, frame, etc.). All if you have to do is look and be critical. If a 49K mile SS is without flaws, it must have accumulated those miles while on a lift, not on the road. I'd rather have an owner save me the time of finding them all and just point them all.

Last edited by Firebrian; 01-04-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I have a 17K mile SS M6 and I can assure you there are dozens of flaws in the exterior that I could point out to anyone (paint, glass, undercarriage, weatherstrip, mirrors, wheels, exhaust, wheel wells, rockers, frame, etc.). All if you have to do is look and be critical. If a 49K mile SS is without flaws, it must have accumulated those miles while on a lift, not on the road. I'd rather have an owner save me the time of finding them all and just point them all.
As always, Firebrian and I are on the same page in this regard. I think a lot of youthful and/or non-critical people tend to write these ads about having "perfect/flawless/mint" cars with 50-80k miles, or statements like "cleanest one you will find" when there are examples for sale all over the country with well less than half the mileage that are likely just as nice or nicer. Statements such as those are very presumptuous and suggest inexperience, poor observation ability, or the assertion that you can fool potential buyers; I think all three reasons are equally prevalent based on my own interactions with such sellers.

In many cases, I think what a seller really is trying to state is that their car is nicer than the average example with comparable mileage, or so it seems to them based on their experience. This may be true, but such bold statements are a turn-off to those of us who know better regarding the nature of truly flawless/perfect/mint vehicles. Many times, people who are not realistic about their pricing are also not realistic about the true condition of the car.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Very well put, I agree completely.

Quick Reply: Mind checking another one for me?