What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

is this guy asking to much???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this guy asking to much???

https://jonesboro.craigslist.org/cto/5476762181.html

this is a bare bones z28, cloth interior, manual windows, etc. seems a little on the high side.
what do you guys think?
Old 03-04-2016, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

it looks clean. of course youd try to talk the seller down but if everything on it works that asking price imo isnt out of line.

it looks to be a non Ttop car and thats a killer for me.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:01 PM
Teching In

its a ttop. really?? i would think like 5k tops for it. idk...
Old 03-04-2016, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
it looks clean. of course youd try to talk the seller down but if everything on it works that asking price imo isnt out of line.

I agree. Looks like a solid original car, assuming no rust or accidents. Actually a 6 speed no options car is pretty desirable to a lot of us.

I think it does have t tops. You can just make out the center strip in the front pic.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a Ttop to me. I would offer $5k as a starting point.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Teching In

start at 5k and work up to? what 6 to 6500? and that would be a good price? assuming it has the usual scratches and wear thats associated with these cars? what should be checked?
the guy said the ac compressor makes a weird noise when turned all the way up to max. sound like a hard fix? he said the ac blows cold. and doesnt make a sound if its not on
Old 03-04-2016, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes i just noticed it does have Ttops.

id pay mid to high 5s if it needs only minor or no repairs which i doubt.

anything major id just start deducting the sellers asking price from there.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:05 PM
Teching In

hmmm minor repairs would have to be expected, even though he said the ac noise was the only issue. i doubt he comes to mid fives. he was pretty firm on 6500 bones when i was talking to him earlier. we shall see...hopefully the ac noise issue is small.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

6500$ not bad. 115k is about maintenance time though
Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

I'd say anything under $6k, but it all depends on condition. Wave $5800 cash in his face and see if he wants you to walk away over $700.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by justin455
I'd say anything under $6k, but it all depends on condition. Wave $5800 cash in his face and see if he wants you to walk away over $700.
i think thats a fair offer if it needs no major repairs.

AC is a must for me and can be expensive to repair so id look closely to see exactly whats wrong.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Teching In

the ac works acording to him, just makes a weird noise when its on full blast, ill look at it.
ill wave 5800 bucks to see what happens. i can do all the repairs myself so that shouldnt be to bad.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Less things to break with no options. You don't have to worry about window motors failing and paying hundreds of dollars to fix them. That's a plus to me. Car is lighter with less options, hence lighter = faster. At this price range and mileage I wouldn't worry 1 bit about options. The value of the car is paint, interior, and drive train/mechanicals. If it runs nicely all around, that's all you need. A picture of the engine bay was not included. That's as important as any of them.

If the AC system is making noise and it's still on the original compressor, figure on a new one of those, maybe a pulley as well. A quality OEM compressor + drier/receiver/exp valve costs around $350-$375. If you buy a cheaper knockoff you can get out for $200-$250. The original compressors were ACDelco/Delphi. I usually figure if there's still an ink stamping on top of the receiver/drier, it's original. But, it's possible a fussy owner could have insisted on an OEM replacement that is also stamped.

Figure no matter what, you'll miss some items upon inspection and those will run you $500-$1,000 (fluids, filters, lights, tires(?), brakes(?), clutch(?), seals, shocks, pumps, bushings, speakers, exhaust/cats, etc.). There's a lot of potential items. It comes down to how well it was cared for and what items are coming up for replacement in the future). It's a big plus you can do all the work so your downside is only limited to buying parts. The instrument panel shows the car at idle (normal 50 psi oil pressure, normal voltage, temp gauge looks to be off the low peg, normal idle rpm, and showing 1/4 tank of gas). At least this is not the type of owner who keeps the gas on "E" to save $3 before selling it.

I would think a nicely running M6 with 115K miles would be worth in the $5,000-$6,000 range. It's a wide range where a lousy car for $5K is not worth the trouble. While an identical mileage car that is sweet, could be a bargain at $6K. Neither is usually the case though, but something in between. There are numerous current threads on what to check for on these cars. A recent one linked below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...need-know.html

Don't forget to check all the key fluids (7), including clutch fluid. Ideally, they will be at normal levels and clean. Before you check, ask the owner when each was last changed.

Last edited by Firebrian; 03-04-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Teching In

he sent me some pics, the engine bay is very dirty, the sail panel has the bubbling clear coat, and the front bumper has some serious scuffs that look like it wont be able to be buffed out, are these deal breakers??
Old 03-06-2016, 07:44 AM
Teching In

thoughts??
Old 03-06-2016, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
He likes to take the t-tops out and let his mullet flow
Old 03-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Teching In

went to look at it today, ended up not getting it. the bumper and fender were damaged as if someone hit it with something, the entire sail panel looked awful. would have to replace it, the entire had rips, and places that had shitty sew up jobs, the interior was missing some pieces, as well as cracked panels, and buttons missing, as well as severely stained carpet. it was going to need engine mounts soon, the engine was all over the place at idle. ac compressor did make a godawful noise. transmission was making a weird whining vibration. other small mechanical and cosmetic things. he wouldnt go lowe than 5800, an i couldnt see myself paying any more than 5k
Old 03-06-2016, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChazWhiteZ28-
went to look at it today, ended up not getting it. the bumper and fender were damaged as if someone hit it with something, the entire sail panel looked awful. would have to replace it, the entire had rips, and places that had shitty sew up jobs, the interior was missing some pieces, as well as cracked panels, and buttons missing, as well as severely stained carpet. it was going to need engine mounts soon, the engine was all over the place at idle. ac compressor did make a godawful noise. transmission was making a weird whining vibration. other small mechanical and cosmetic things. he wouldnt go lowe than 5800, an i couldnt see myself paying any more than 5k
Wow what a **** stain car.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
Wow what a **** stain car.

is that sarcasm? lol. idk the guy didnt really seem to be very upfront from the start. he was really trying to sell the "ls1" aspect of it i think. he kept saying "oh, ive had this car and this car, but this camaro is so much faster". im sittin there think alright man, whatever you say.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChazWhiteZ28-
is that sarcasm? lol. idk the guy didnt really seem to be very upfront from the start. he was really trying to sell the "ls1" aspect of it i think. he kept saying "oh, ive had this car and this car, but this camaro is so much faster". im sittin there think alright man, whatever you say.
No that really is a **** stain

Quick Reply: is this guy asking to much???