What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 WS6 Formula with 1LE option - 1 of 15 made

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1998 WS6 Formula with 1LE option - 1 of 15 made

super rare factory autocross delete package. 1 of 15 made in 98 and 1 of 2 silver cars.

105k miles.

hardtop (mandatory with 1LE), roll up windows, manual mirrors, Koni double adjustable shocks
sebring silver metallic

fast 92mm intake and NW throttle body, 241 heads, headers, off road exhaust, mild cam, tuned, 407 hp. c6z06 clutch and aluminum flywheel, tick master, OEM hurst shifter

interior excellent.
exterior very good - some small paint imperfections but hard to see.

pics and more info in my sig.

Last edited by 2MCHPWR; 04-19-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The miles and mods cool the collector point of it. It's up north so any rust?
Old 04-19-2016, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

all mods can be put back to stock
miles though can't
no rust - only been up north for 2 years, and always in my garage, not daily driven, no snow. Car from CA and texas (I had it shipped to me).
Old 04-19-2016, 03:27 PM
Teching In

The miles negate any rarity value it may have had. It is worth no more than any other similar mileage/shape F-body.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Cool car! What really hurts it is the motor isn't original, A/C doesn't work, and the mileage.

I may be interested but it's hard to throw out a price because of these issues. A/C is a must where I am and I have no idea how much it might cost to fix. I really like the small mods though including the T/A hatch, exhaust, shifter, clutch, etc. Do the 18" wheels come with the car as well?
Old 04-19-2016, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 74camaroc2
Cool car! What really hurts it is the motor isn't original, A/C doesn't work, and the mileage.

I may be interested but it's hard to throw out a price because of these issues. A/C is a must where I am and I have no idea how much it might cost to fix. I really like the small mods though including the T/A hatch, exhaust, shifter, clutch, etc. Do the 18" wheels come with the car as well?
thanks dude. the AC is completely fixed. i drove car to work yesterday and today, 150 miles round trip each way

whether or not the 18's come with the car depends on the deal. But no ones thrown out a price yet. for now, i'm just curious what people think its worth but i would entertain offers. no rush or need to sell. i love it.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
thanks dude. the AC is completely fixed. i drove car to work yesterday and today, 150 miles round trip each way

whether or not the 18's come with the car depends on the deal. But no ones thrown out a price yet. for now, i'm just curious what people think its worth but i would entertain offers. no rush or need to sell. i love it.
Ok awesome, well that's good to hear.

I'll do some research and see if I can't come up with an offer, but I'm curious as to what others say as well. I've mainly been looking at T/A's but this car has peaked my interest! I like the uniqueness.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

http://www.ponycars.net/images/ws6/window_sticker.jpg

https://www.ignorancedenied.com/thre...-the-1le.8983/

The 1LE option was discontinued in 1999. GM's reason was the cost of keeping an inventory of parts for such a low production vehicle was not profitable. SLP brought back the 1LE option in 2001 on Camaro SS and Firebird Firehawks ordered with RPO Y2Y options. There are also no longer restrictions on comfort options and the SLP 1LEs are available with what serious performance enthusiasts may call sissy-ish things like air-conditioning, power leather seats, power windows, power locks, cruise control, T-tops, etc. Since T-tops are standard on the Trans Am and Formula for 2002, all Firehawks will have T-tops, too.
http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/1leown...tion/1les.html

The reason 1LE cars exist is because of SCCA showroom stock racing. As the name implies, Showrrom Stock racing requires that all competing entries be absolute production cars. ...It wasn't until 1990 that automotive magazines, dealerships and the general public really started to catch on to these cars. They started popping up in everything from Car and Driver to Popular Mechanics. The word had leaked out about these killer factory race cars and, suddenly, everybody wanted one.
http://www.ponycars.net/images/ws6/1...kdowns-new.pdf
Old 04-21-2016, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98ws6firebirdformula
just brought home this beauty 1 owner 98 formula ws6. 120k miles on it. was it worth 7500 not a blemish on it anywhere

Found above in the ws6 formula owners thread. Obviously it’s not gonna be a scientific comparison, but based on his purchase price of $7500 (above) versus my car:
1. 15k less miles - $500
2. New engine replaced under warranty by dealer $500 (engines don’t have VINs so if you are a collector, ain’t no one gonna know it ain’t stock block; this has newer 241 heads that make more power than the stock 98 heads)
3. Headers, texas speed off road Y pipe, cartek cam, double valve springs, titanium retainers, tuning, 92mm intake, 92mm NW t-body, catch can, alum flywheel, c6z06 clutch, hurst shifter, 92mm airbox, fast toys ram air $2000 (that’s over $5000 in parts and labor and make 407 hp)
4. His has T tops, mine is solid roof, rare and desirable to the right person (who values chassis rigidity) $500
5. 1LE option, roll up windows, manual windows, stiffer bushings in suspension, KONI double adjustable shocks, all suspension recently overhauled (not 120k worn out crap like the link above), super rarity option / racing heritage of the 1LE nameplate. Won’t mean a lot to most people, but is desirable to a few of us die hards $2000

Not adding up the new aftermarket radio w/ blu tooth, 10” JL subwoofer neatly in corner cubby of trunk, hidden amplifier, fixed AC, wide band a/f gauge neatly in center AC gauge, good tires all around, new front brakes with C5 corvette conversion with 13 inch rotors and hawk HP plus pads, Strano springs (with koni shocks handles incredibly). Those are all freebies in my un-scientific calculation 

So $7500 + $5500 in above stuff (value is extremely subjective but did my best to lay it out, and not valued at new prices either) = $13,000

So that sounds like a good asking price $13,000  I paid about $12000 with the shipping from texas and put in like $7000, so $13000 sounds reasonable. Not including those 18’s either  or some 17x11 custom WS6 wheels that I have with nitto DR’s  but who knows what deal can be worked out 
Old 04-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Pretty good evaluation on the pricing for a clean car, but personally I think it's a bit high. Maybe you'll find someone who will pay that for such a specific car though, it's very unique . I think the biggest thing is the add-ons which you say add $2k, because while they are nice modifications it's hard to actually incorporate those into additional value for the car. Same goes for the motor swap. While it's not technically identifiable by VIN, to be clear to any new owners I'd want to disclose the fact it had been replaced under warranty. While you're coming out with a fresher motor this way, to some die-hard collectors having the born with engine is a big deal so I think that deal would break even.

Take this car for example. One of the other '98 1LE's that has about $10k in add-ons to make a very solid motor, but granted this car does have a few other issues to fix out. He started out very close to your asking price and dropped to $9k OBO. This was also a number of years ago when prices were slightly higher.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...ade-fs-ft.html

Now don't get me wrong, I love your car and respect your opinion. I'm just throwing my 2 cents out there. I don't think you're too far off the mark either. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this car and see if I can't save up some cash. Might shoot you a PM but I'm worried about buying a car sight-unseen or spending a good chunk of change on plane tickets out to NY. Wish you were closer!
Old 04-21-2016, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Youll never get out of a car what you put into it. Something like this is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 74camaroc2
Might shoot you a PM but I'm worried about buying a car sight-unseen or spending a good chunk of change on plane tickets out to NY. Wish you were closer!
no worries dude.
I did buy this car sight unseen! from Texas! but I paid for a pre-purchase inspection at the sellers local GM dealer. They took pics of the car on the lift, drove it around, etc. Definitely not an area to pinch pennies when spending that much on a car. Cheap insurance. But good luck and feel free to hit me up with any questions
Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

For the record the block does have a code on if that matches the factory vin... Plus someone would know the heads are wrong anyway and start digging
Old 04-26-2016, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

not apples to apples but thought this was semi close comparison that I saw on craigslist:

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5498496558.html

Firehawk is rare but more common than a 1LE so I still think 1LE is worth a little more than a firebawk.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Could that be the same 2000 FH formula hardtop M6 I saw back in 2011/2012? It's only 50 miles away from the Infiniti dealer that last owned it in East Hartford, CT at an asking price around $12K-$12.5K. And there's only a couple cars built in pewter so what are the odds of an indentical car being found so close by? Thing is, it had 28K miles back then. Is it possible the current owner drove that daily the past 5 years putting 16K miles per year on it? If so, it was fairly "cheap" transportation if they paid around $12K. It would be interesting to see if it's the same car.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

oh i have no idea about that firehawk. i just found it on craigslist and that it was cool

Quick Reply: 1998 WS6 Formula with 1LE option - 1 of 15 made