What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 SOM WS6 T/A convertible 6-spd

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 SOM WS6 T/A convertible 6-spd

I am the second owner of a Sunset Orange Metallic WS6 6-spd convertible with roughly 24K miles. I bought it in 2006 with around 20K miles, and have only driven it about 4K miles in the last ten years. It is currently stored inside a 26 ft TPD enclosed trailer and is started roughly once a month. Prior to my purchase, it was garage kept by a previous owner who bordered on fanatical. There is no accident damage and paint is in excellent condition.

I'll be 59 yrs old this summer, and the car is very uncomfortable for me to drive. I have a bad hip, and side pressure the deep seats put on my hip make it uncomfortable to drive for anything over thirty minutes. I'm thinking about selling this and buying a first generation CTS-V.

The car is bone stock, and comes with an extra set of 02 WS6 wheels. I still have the original tires the car was built with.

These photos are older photos. The car was a little dirty from driving it on a 5 hr road trip the day I brought it home, and they were shot in low light. I can get more recent photos if interested.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Should be an easy car to sell for top dollar once the summer season is in full swing. As I recall a 20K mile 2002 SOM coupe fetched $20K on Ebay last year. Can't recall if it was an A4 or M6. This is worth 10% more than a coupe imo and probably in the $20K-$25K range. Very few SOM M6 verts come up for sale. They only built 14 M6's in 2001 and 19 in 2002. Toss in another 8 total for the Firehawk M6's. They are FAR harder to come by than the 1999 and 2002 WS6 anniv cars. If your car is the only one for sale this summer that puts you in the driver's seat. When this car was stored for the past 4K miles I hope those monthly starts included at least an 8-10 mile drive rather than just idling it.

While not a perfect comparison, I saw a 2001 NBM Firehawk A4 vert with 12K miles sell for around $20,000 last year (1 of two built in that color in 2001). I'd have to think the SOM is far more popular and the M6 adds another 10%. Potentially 15-25% for SOM.

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-21-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the thoughts.

It was started up at least once a month, sometimes more. I live in a dead end subdivision that has multi-acre lots, so it made an occasional lap around the subdivision. I also let a dealer evaluate it last year, and he brought his dealer tag and drove it about 10 - 15 miles. The brakes still work well and the a/c works. It has a new Optima battery.

I'm probably putting insuranc on it soon. The local Cadillac dealer has a couple of used CTS-Vs on his lot that are interesting. I love the car, but I need something I can drive for several hours without my hip killing me.

I know the SOM WS6 cars are rare. One of the guys in the local Pontiac club has a M6 Firehawk coupe in SOM. I saw it around 2004 and fell in love with it. It took me about 3 - 4 years to find a convertible in that color combination.

Mike
Old 04-21-2016, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice car Op, Id start at 22-23k if I were you. Don't for a second even think about trading it in. They wont give you anything for it lol
Old 04-28-2016, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish this was ttop. I'd be all over it
Old 04-28-2016, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

Somehow I missed this post and it's a shame. I was just in Apex visiting family (niece attending NC State) and would have liked to see it as my neighbor is looking for a clean low mileage example. He has the $$ (cash) for a nice one. I personally believe $20k is about right for this car with those 24k miles. Anything but SOM would be considerably less.
I also agree about NOT trading it in. They will rip you off big time. This car will sell if you make the effort in Hemmings or Autotrader.
Feel free to PM me if you feel that $20k price is fair and I'll get with my neighbor (he is a collector with about 12 cars right now). I would not advise him to pay more. We are here in Franklin, NC on the other side of Asheville.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:39 AM
Launching!

They had one listed on CL here in Houston. It was a t-top A4 SOM but it had more miles (55k I think). It was only up for about a week at $17500. I went to grab a link to show you for comparison but it already gone. Lol. I would think $20-23K would be fair for yours.

Edit: Found it & its an M6: https://collegestation.craigslist.or...544025691.html

Anyway, just an idea of what else is out there price wise. I know this one is not a vert. and has higher mileage but I think it illustrates that something in the low-mid 20's is a fair asking price for yours. Yours looks like a beautiful car. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of change to throw around or I would be all over it as SOM is my favorite color on these. Good luck with selling it.

Last edited by Mike TA; 04-28-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For those desiring a top level M6 vert, this one is hard to beat. If for sale by one of the on-line dealer/flippers I think it would have an asking price of $25K or higher. While most are looking for coupes, there's enough of us that would prefer the much rarer M6 convertible and pay a sizable premium to do so. The adult that has the cash to buy one of these isn't going to worry about whether it's $22K or $25K. As I said earlier, you may have the only low mileage SOM M6 vert for sale this summer. If a 55K mile M6 coupe with "flaws" can fetch around $17.5K, no reason why a 24K mile vert can't bring $5K more.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Default 2002 SOM WS6 T/A convertible 6-spd

Agreed. Online/ flipper would probably be $29-$32K asking price. I see standard color WS6 TAs with low mileage at asking prices like that all the time. I don't study the production numbers but I have to imagine that a SOM vert. M6 is pretty rare. Then you factor in attrition rates over the last 13-14 years and this one has to be one of the few left. With such low mileage and so well taken care of whoever buys will have a pretty rare bird. I think the OP has the right idea on the price range and whoever has the privilege of owning it next is a lucky SOB.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poncho-mike
..... I saw it around 2004 and fell in love with it. It took me about 3 - 4 years to find a convertible in that color combination. Mike
3-4 years!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

I certainly agree that mid 20's would be a fair asking price. A one owner car with under 10,000 miles would sell quickly at $25k IMO but a 2 owner with 24k miles might be pushing it, and it might take awhile to sell as a private party sale. Maybe. It could sell in one day! Who knows who's looking and has the cash in pocket. Decent convertibles with manual trannys are getting more rare every year across the board. They account for less than 1% of all new car sales. I've even seen that with popular Mustangs (my 5 speed GT/CS 'vert is not something you see listed every day). For quick cash though and not bothering with listings and tire kickers, and especially dealers who will offer $15k trade-in prices, $20k cash is fair. The seller gets his premium for the color, and the buyer isn't overpaying. That's my .02 cents anyway. The OP hasn't contacted me anyway so I'm wrong in this instance.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the comments.

I have been in the Pontiac hobby for 35 years, more if you count the years in high school and college when I used a GTO and a 67 400 Bird as daily drivers. I mostly own early T/A round port cars (SDs & 455HOs).

When GM announced they were killing Pontiac, I decided I wanted a 2002 T/A. Unfortunately, a job layoff around that time killed those plans. I tossed around buying a used car, and after seeing the SOM Firehawk, I decided it had to be a WS6 convertible with a 6-spd. Trans Am World documents that only 30 in that configuration were produced, so I knew it was going to be a tough Bird to find. I bought the first one that came up for sale.

I have no plans of trading with a dealer unless they give me a really good deal. I find I get better treatment from the dealers when I drive up in a very nice car, as opposed to my worn out Saturn Vue daily driver with 240K miles.

Unless something changes, I'm planning to put it up for sale around $23K in a few weeks. Life has been pretty busy and I haven't had time to give it a good detailing.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-29-2016, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

First som vert w/ a gray not tan gut I have ever seen, that's aside from being a manual. Outstanding car & good luck.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 2002 M6 WS6 verts in white and silver are nearly as rare as the SOM. But....they don't command the "wow" factor that SOM provides. And those other colors were available in all 5 years, not just the last 2 years.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Default 02 Trans am

Hi Mike,

I sent you a private message. Steve

Quick Reply: 2002 SOM WS6 T/A convertible 6-spd