What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1997 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Camaro SS

Hello, new to this forum. Looking at 1997 30 anniversary Lt4 package SLP
See that only 6 were made in Canada. How rare would would this be and value?
Old 10-12-2016, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

Just like any other car it depends on condition, mileage, owner history, etc... It's all in the details. If a one owner garage kept example with under 20,000 miles, then top $$$ value. If 5 owners 100k miles and in only fair condition, not worth anything special even if rare.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:08 AM

Since these cars are 20 years old, the info and opinions very greatly. I see now that they were all made in Canada. Research shows that 108 were sent to SLP for a LS4 upgrade. Since this car has the SLP tags on it, i assumed it was one of these. Now im not so sure and SLP doesnt exist anymore. But it is extremely fast and fun to drive and I paid well below book price. Only time and more research will tell. Thanks for any comments !
Old 10-12-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bobstoy1997
Hello, new to this forum. Looking at 1997 30 anniversary Lt4 package SLP
See that only 6 were made in Canada. How rare would would this be and value?
Based on the first post wouldn't have thought you already owned it.

You can find people to answer your questions about special production cars on the "special vehicles" forum....or just searching this forum. Chances odds these cars have been discussed in detail in the past.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Just like any other car it depends on condition, mileage, owner history, etc... It's all in the details. If a one owner garage kept example with under 20,000 miles, then top $$$ value. If 5 owners 100k miles and in only fair condition, not worth anything special even if rare.

These LT4 conversion SSs are in fact extremely rare (~100 built), but the value is totally dependent on condition. I know a local one that is also a Hendrick Motorsport Edition (1 of 9, I believe?) and still on an MSO. Mileage is 3-digit and condition is #1. That's a valuable car. The same car with 100k miles and #3 condition wouldn't likely be worth half as much.

The value in these is the originality, so a modified or even "restored" example is likely not going to be a big dollar car as most 4th gen shoppers would still rather have an LS1 variant.

FYI to the OP. SLP is still in business, they just operate under a different name now...Specialty Vehicle Engineering: http://specialtyvehicleengineering.com/about-sve/
Old 10-12-2016, 06:54 PM

Over the weekend i saw a Camaro for sale online. Seller stated it had tags with SLP upgrades. So i started to research it and learned that 108 of these cars were sent to SLP to have 330 HP LS4 Corvette engines installed. Of these 6 were Canadian. So i asked the seller were it was built, and he said Canada. So i assumed it was one of these and bought it. Now i find they were all built in Canada. Since SLP is no longer in business, i am having a hard time finding if my car has this option. Still a nice car, but would be much more value if it has this engine.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Again, SLP is still in business, they just operate under a different name now...Specialty Vehicle Engineering: http://specialtyvehicleengineering.com/about-sve/

Have you tried contacting them with the VIN?

If you paid the premium for an LT4 car then you should have received the supplemental SLP docs that came with the car, and/or the supplemental SLP door sticker should include this upgrade information.

LT4 engines had a red painted intake manifold, which is not to say that someone couldn't easily paint an LT1 intake red, but if the manifold is not red then that would certainly be a worrisome indication.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:33 AM

I have emailed Roush and SVE and waiting on reply.
Maybe someone can explain why Chevy would build a Camaro and then send it to another company to install an exhaust system, differential, and oil cooler? That is what my SLP tag suggests
Old 10-13-2016, 09:41 AM

Was able to contact SVE and found i do NOT have a LT4. I do have a very nice LT1 with optional 315 HP SLP options. Thanks for your help
Old 10-13-2016, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bobstoy1997
I have emailed Roush and SVE and waiting on reply.
Maybe someone can explain why Chevy would build a Camaro and then send it to another company to install an exhaust system, differential, and oil cooler? That is what my SLP tag suggests
Same thing was done on thousands of LS1 SS's from 1998-2002 of which a sizable percentage went back to SLP for additional options (ie performance exhaust, Auburns, chrome wheels, SS grille, Bilstein suspension, floor mats, car covers, key fobs, etc.). SLP also installed all the SS hoods and rear spoiler as well. I can only assume Chevy saved money and headaches by doing this...as well as allowing SLP to have a niche with them on the performance side of their Camaro's. The early SS years were built in St Therese, Canada with SLP only a short distance away in LaSalle. Not sure about 2001-2002.

https://history.gmheritagecenter.com...Camaro_History
Old 10-13-2016, 03:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Same thing was done on thousands of LS1 SS's from 1998-2002 of which a sizable percentage went back to SLP for additional options (ie performance exhaust, Auburns, chrome wheels, SS grille, Bilstein suspension, floor mats, car covers, key fobs, etc.). SLP also installed all the SS hoods and rear spoiler as well. I can only assume Chevy saved money and headaches by doing this...as well as allowing SLP to have a niche with them on the performance side of their Camaro's. The early SS years were built in St Therese, Canada with SLP only a short distance away in LaSalle. Not sure about 2001-2002.

https://history.gmheritagecenter.com...Camaro_History

Outsourced contract work. I'm sure the reasons have to do with cost vs. benefit of tooling for special production work in-house vs. outsourcing to a contractor. GM has used other contractors as well, namely ASC (American Sunroof Company) to do the WS6 conversion during the LS1 years. I seem to recall ASC also doing the 547 GNX conversions on Turbo Buicks in 1987.

Quick Reply: 1997 Camaro SS