What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Going to buy my 1st ws6

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 05:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to buy my 1st ws6

Hey guys I'm hopefully going to buy my 1st ws6. It's a 2001 pewter 6mt ttop with just under 97k miles. Asking price was 10k si I countered with 7.5k and it caught his interest and he countered with 8.5k. He ran a carfax and it checked out but it had a total of 5 owners... should I stay away from it or should I buy it? And if i should what should I like out for like in serious mechanical issues with the car? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Please help me out since I've been trying to buy 1 of these for the last 4 years. I've been waiting to find the right 1

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/2001-pontiac-trans-am-ws6/6591147099.html

has a couple blemishes but nothing major or serious. Can provide pictures of needed

Last edited by thatguy91; 05-18-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

"Pink slip is here, one year of registration just paid" almost sounds like the seller's buying and flipping cars. maybe it's my paranoia talking though....

how does it drive? any leaks underneath? any weird sounds coming from the rearend such as any chatter when making tight left/right turns? how does it sound when started up cold? any tapping sounds coming from the engine? how's the clutch feel and clutch fluid look like?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

5 owners is a lot, and I agree with fst100.
He says its been taken care of but with 5 owners its a crap shoot.

Car looks decent though, not a desirable color inside or out, you should be able to get a deal on it.
Open the driver side door and look at the codes, make sure its a real WS6.
If you want I'll look up the VIN and make sure it is.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Always garaged? Did he verify that with all of the previous owners? lol
Old 05-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fst100
"Pink slip is here, one year of registration just paid" almost sounds like the seller's buying and flipping cars. maybe it's my paranoia talking though....

how does it drive? any leaks underneath? any weird sounds coming from the rearend such as any chatter when making tight left/right turns? how does it sound when started up cold? any tapping sounds coming from the engine? how's the clutch feel and clutch fluid look like?
I haven't checked it out yet since he lives an hour and a half away probably going to go there sometime next week
Old 05-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28tek
5 owners is a lot, and I agree with fst100.
He says its been taken care of but with 5 owners its a crap shoot.

Car looks decent though, not a desirable color inside or out, you should be able to get a deal on it.
Open the driver side door and look at the codes, make sure its a real WS6.
If you want I'll look up the VIN and make sure it is.
yea it's a ws6 but here's the vin of you want to look it up
Old 05-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Always garaged? Did he verify that with all of the previous owners? lol
haha my thoughts exactly after I received the carfax report
Old 05-18-2018, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Car looks to be a legit WS6, but its far from being worth 10K.
Sadly some younger kid lacking knowledge might throw him $8500, but I wouldn't.

7K would be decent, if its checks out, runs good, no lights and no issues.
But again, tough to tell without seeing it in person.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28tek
Car looks to be a legit WS6, but its far from being worth 10K.
Sadly some younger kid lacking knowledge might throw him $8500, but I wouldn't.

7K would be decent, if its checks out, runs good, no lights and no issues.
But again, tough to tell without seeing it in person.
yea I offered 7.5, shouldve offered 7k flat but if he doesn't budge then no worries I will just wait for the next 1 to pop up
Old 05-18-2018, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I myself wouldn't take a 90 minute drive to look at a 5 owner car unless it was a GMMG for Berger, not a plain old WS6. Odds are good it's been abused with those owners. I prefer to stick to 1-2 owner cars. Even 3 owners is pushing it since you will be the 3rd. My car for example has had 2 owners with 12 yrs on #1 and now 6 yrs with me. That's a decent spread. A 3rd owner shouldn't be too leery if none of us bailed out after only 1-2 years. 5 owners means you're #6. I'd say less than 20% of all WS6's have had that many owners. The asking price sure dropped quick from $10K to $8.5K. Not a good sign imo. What's really wrong with it? Time for a transmission or clutch? Or rear end? Catalytic converter? This is why I prefer to stick to 1-2 "loving" owners. Where's the detailed maintenance/fluid history on the car? If you don't answers...then you know what that means. If the current 5th owner hasn't had it at least 5 yrs...I'd probably pass since it's fairly far away and you really can't easily have it brought to a mechanic...though you could call ahead and work something out. Just too many loose ends here.

It's not easy to spot major mechanical issues on just a 10-20 mile test drive. It's during your first couple weeks of ownership or the first 50-100 mile drive where you will become sensitized to what's not quite right with the car's mechanicals.

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-18-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I myself wouldn't take a 90 minute drive to look at a 5 owner car unless it was a GMMG for Berger, not a plain old WS6. Odds are good it's been abused with those owners. I prefer to stick to 1-2 owner cars. Even 3 owners is pushing it since you will be the 3rd. My car for example has had 2 owners with 12 yrs on #1 and now 6 yrs with me. That's a decent spread. A 3rd owner shouldn't be too leery if none of us bailed out after only 1-2 years. 5 owners means you're #6. I'd say less than 20% of all WS6's have had that many owners. The asking price sure dropped quick from $10K to $8.5K. Not a good sign imo. What's really wrong with it? Time for a transmission or clutch? Or rear end? Catalytic converter? This is why I prefer to stick to 1-2 "loving" owners. Where's the detailed maintenance/fluid history on the car? If you don't answers...then you know what that means. If the current 5th owner hasn't had it at least 5 yrs...I'd probably pass since it's fairly far away and you really can't easily have it brought to a mechanic...though you could call ahead and work something out. Just too many loose ends here.

It's not easy to spot major mechanical issues on just a 10-20 mile test drive. It's during your first couple weeks of ownership or the first 50-100 mile drive where you will become sensitized to what's not quite right with the car's mechanicals.
you are right. I never thought of it that way. I'm going to pass on the car and try to find me a 1 or 2 owner car. They are just hard to find and I even posted an ad on here stating I'm looking for 1 but so far no replies. I've waited 4 years and nothing but I guess I will have to keep on waiting. Money isn't the issue it's just finding 1 and 1 that's close by to me