Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

please help, street lite/LT1 fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default please help, street lite/LT1 fitment issues

ok from what i have read that LT1 stuff was supposed to be easy and the LS1 stuff was more of a pain due to the brakes being bigger.... the rear wheels have worse fitment issues than the front, the fronts fit with just a tiny wheels spacer to that means just a little grinding..... but the rears had so much stuff wanting to touch that we had to take the rear brakes off all together just to get it to bolt up.... it seems like there is gonna be MAJOR grinding on the rear to even try to work.... all i have is stock 1994 LT1 brakes i dont see why there is anything else to do to these over say weld drag lites.... can anyone help me or give me pics on how much needs to be grinded to make these rear wheels work.... BTW these are 15x10 7.5 BS in the rear.... jake
Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get out the grinder
Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Where did you get them? You may have gotten the regular Street Lites and not the F Body specific ones.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i ordered from summit and stated i had a 1994 LT1 camaro.... if that wasnt enough then i dont know what i should have done.... we will have to see what i have to do, i will call
Old 01-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

if they require grinding they sold you the regular Street Lite

I have the non F-body specific on my car, but the previous owner did grind the rear calipers for the previous wheels. I will say they do not appear to have major grinding done to them. I did a little clean up on them to smooth things out prior to painting.

I bet you could have them fit in 20-30 minutes with taking you time with a grinder.

see pic for an idea

Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you very much!!!! so they will work, i knew there was gonna be a little grinding i was just getting scared if grinding wasnt gonna work and i needed to spend $1,000 for new brakes.... i just didnt want to spend $730+ on 2 rears just for them to fit right.... the regular price wheels should fit every different car without charging extra....
Old 01-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned

no problem

grab your grinder and eye protection and take your time

you will be all good within a couple hrs after painting
Old 01-18-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok but is there a better diagram that we could use to know how much to grind???? that black makes it really hard to see where and how much needs to be off....
Old 01-18-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also my freind helping me is worried it might be unsafe on this car.... car could possibly be trapping 120+ mph in the 8th mile drag strip.... honestly i should get a set of aftermarket brakes but im already way over budget so i cant afford $2,000 for brakes.... possibly i could maybe get just the rears for now...

can anyone give me a for sure aftermarket brake that will clear these regular street lite wheels without doing anything other than bolting them on???? jake
Old 01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Banned

if you look the fins are mainly gone from the center of the caliper outwards

+ I had to grind the pad locator tabs as well

I did my other Z/28 back 7 or so years ago and recently did my dad's ls1 car. I just took my time and kept test fitting the wheel.

-just grind and test fit, so you take off the min.

-tape the inside of the rim to prevent scratching

or you could complain they sold you the wrong wheel and demand the correct rims at their cost

I know first hand the Strange brakes fit. I know a pic was posted earlier with Aerospace brakes as well.

120+ 1/8 trap speeds ! get some good brakes on that car
Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

If the wheels haven't had tires mounted on them yet Summit will take them back. I would send them back and tell them to send you the right ones at no extra cost since it was their fault.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
If the wheels haven't had tires mounted on them yet Summit will take them back. I would send them back and tell them to send you the right ones at no extra cost since it was their fault.
Without Knowing BOTH sides of the story it is hard to say what the deal is.

They will work with grinding, If you want a direct Bolt on wheel It requires the F Body Specific. What fronts did you also order? As you will probably have to grind with those.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

fronts are minimum grinding and not a big deal but rears are gonna be 4 times as long.... i have been drag racing for 12 years with newer EFI cars so im used to a lil grinding with drag lites and ect but i wwould like to just throw them on as well... honestly i thought i bought the right wheels cause i was speaking to whom i thought was a decent sales person in the car area plus i explained what year, make, model, and LT1 engine.... is it possible summit doesnt even know about these "fbody" wheels???

and yes i have mounted them so i wont be able to return but i am gonna ask if they can sell me a set of brakes ar cost atleast so they can fit correctly
Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Banned

there is an Fbody wheel, It has been on there site since they came out.

The rears on a Lt1 will fit without alot of grinding, I know that for a fact.

What fronts do you have??
Old 01-19-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it a huge hastle to sell the ones you have and buy the correct ones from Dragwheelz.com? I imagine you probably won't sell them for what you bought them for, but let's say you lose out on $90-100 bucks... I'm guessing you spent $245/wheel... so $490 for both. So you sell them both for $400... the f-body specific ones are $360 a pop (check with Dragwheelz.com for a price shipped to your door). There's $720.. so a total loss of about $400.00. Still has to be a cheaper route than the brakes, no? Figured it might be an option to throw out there. Good luck whatever route you take... hope you get it figured out.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah but if im gonna loose $400 i would rather just spend a little more and get the better brakes..... im not sending these wheels back and i really hated the idea that you have to pay more for wheels to fit.... it should be one price for all 15x10 wheels....

BTW whats the going price for a good set of LT1 brakes all around???? or atleast the rears???? i can atleast sell them to some LS1 guy wanting to get smaller brakes for 15 inch wheels.... jake
Old 01-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Banned

The F-body Specific wheel is a Wheel that was Created Just for them. They Cost involved in producing the F-body wheel Costs More then a conventional hoop wheel that you have.

The F-body wheel is a Custom made/Fit wheel.

I dont think you would lose 400.00. I think if you grind the rear brakes like larry from speed inc has stated you will be fine.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah thats what im gonnna do i just hope they dont have to be grinded much more than for a regular weld drag lite cause i know that there is enough material when done for those wheels and still be safe for fast drag cars which has been done many times.... like i say i just hope that thet BS street lite doesnt require a that much more material to be removed... i mean its there for a reason right???? lol
Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Banned

When i test fitted a wheel awhile ago, It was basically just the fins on a lt1 caliper. and larry just showed the same.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well its not just the fins bud, its also the piston or bolt of some sort that runs parrallel with the axle.... it hits hard and aint anywhere close to wanting to mount up right so it also and even more needs to be grinded.... but thanks as well for the info, jake