Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

315's rubbing on bumpstop help???????

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 01:54 AM
RTD
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 315's rubbing on bumpstop help???????

Hi I have a 98, Camaro SS I bought these wheels everybody said would fit.
They are 17/10.5's 44mm offset with Goodyear 315-35-17 F1 GS D3's on the rear.
Both tires are rubbing on the rear end bump stop. Can anybody let me know how to make these fit. l love the wheels and want to make them fit and want to do it right with out the BFH! Thanx
Old 11-15-2003, 02:17 AM
12 Second Club

I have 17/11s with 315s on my car and all I did when I put them on was buy jounce spacers so the tires would not rub on the outer fender and bottom out. The BFH mod works really well to. All most all people have to message the fender well with a hammer. It is not as bad as people think.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:37 AM
RTD
Teching In

[QUOTE=2000WhiteTA]I have 17/11s with 315s on my car and all I did when I put them on was buy jounce spacers so the tires would not rub on the outer fender and bottom out. The BFH mod works really well to. All most all people have to message the fender well with a hammer. It is not as bad as people think.[/QUOT ls there a spacer that keeps it away from the bumpstop? and then would l have problems with the lip? or should l hire a bfh guy?
Old 11-23-2003, 01:29 PM
RTD
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000WhiteTA
I have 17/11s with 315s on my car and all I did when I put them on was buy jounce spacers so the tires would not rub on the outer fender and bottom out. The BFH mod works really well to. All most all people have to message the fender well with a hammer. It is not as bad as people think.
Can you tell more about the "jounce spacer" Where to get them?
How they work ect..... Thanx RTD
Old 11-23-2003, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running TTII's, 17x11, with 315/35 gForce KDs and I just ground some material off the corners of the bumpstop mount, and used an adjustable PHB to center the rearend. My passenger side wheel is fine, the driver's side wheel weight hits the bumpstop when the axle is completely unloaded (free hanging)...It would be extemely freakish for the axle to ever be in that position (would require the car airborne), so I'm not too worried about it. Another alternative, given to me by trackbird is to get bumpstops from Koni that mount to the shock absorber and cut the factory bumpstops out of the wheel well completely...I also noticed some slight fenderwell rubbing on tight corners, so I'm going to do the BFH mod this winter to fix that.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all you have to do to keep them from hitting the bumpstops when you put them on is jack it up by the center of the axle
Old 11-23-2003, 09:05 PM
RTD
Teching In

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
I'm running TTII's, 17x11, with 315/35 gForce KDs and I just ground some material off the corners of the bumpstop mount, and used an adjustable PHB to center the rearend. My passenger side wheel is fine, the driver's side wheel weight hits the bumpstop when the axle is completely unloaded (free hanging)...It would be extemely freakish for the axle to ever be in that position (would require the car airborne), so I'm not too worried about it. Another alternative, given to me by trackbird is to get bumpstops from Koni that mount to the shock absorber and cut the factory bumpstops out of the wheel well completely...I also noticed some slight fenderwell rubbing on tight corners, so I'm going to do the BFH mod this winter to fix that.
Did exactly what you did but l had to roll the lip a little. Hated to do it on a SS car but they can allways be d-rolled. You can use a{wooden} baseball bat and the tire for leverage to roll the lip this will eliminate or minimize paint chipping on the lip, depending how carefull you are.
Guess you could call this the BFBBB mod!
Old 11-23-2003, 09:10 PM
RTD
Teching In

Originally Posted by NiceTry
all you have to do to keep them from hitting the bumpstops when you put them on is jack it up by the center of the axle
Thanx found that out the hard way! Live and learn.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RTD
I have a 98, Camaro SS I bought these wheels everybody said would fit.
They are 17/10.5's 44mm offset.
I believe your problem can be found in your second sentence.

My AFS wheel is a bit wider than what U run, but the offset spec is a bit different too! 17"x11" (+50mm, 7.93" backspace)

I run the AFS http://www.afswheels.com/v2/ecommerce/shopexd.asp?id=22 17x11 wheel outback with 335/35/17's and the bumpstop has never been an issue in my car, but (isn't there always a but? )I did have issues with the front of my inner wheel well upon hard cornering, and that was fixed with a body mans dolly and an air hammer!

Also my car is not lowered!
Old 11-23-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
My passenger side wheel is fine, the driver's side wheel weight hits the bumpstop when the axle is completely unloaded (free hanging).
Lawman U should ask your tire guy next time U are in for a balance or new rubber to use the stick on weights on the backside of your wheels to get rid of the hit, instead of those rim bead weights!
Old 11-23-2003, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orange Krush
Lawman U should ask your tire guy next time U are in for a balance or new rubber to use the stick on weights on the backside of your wheels to get rid of the hit, instead of those rim bead weights!
lol or you could just not get airborn on big bumps lol
Old 11-23-2003, 11:28 PM
RTD
Teching In

I believe your problem can be found in your second sentence.

My AFS wheel is a bit wider than what U run, but the offset spec is a bit different too! 17"x11" (+50mm, 7.93" backspace)

I run the AFS http://www.afswheels.com/v2/ecommerce/shopexd.asp?id=22 17x11 wheel outback with 335/35/17's and the bumpstop has never been an issue in my car, but (isn't there always a but? )I did have issues with the front of my inner wheel well upon hard cornering, and that was fixed with a body mans dolly and an air hammer!

Also my car is not lowered!
Orange Krush: The + 50mm, 7.93" backspace is ideal for our cars, "but" the wheels are awsome on this car and they did fit, with minimal fabrication, that can all be reversed. Will post a photo as soon as it stops FN raining here in Orygun!
Old 11-24-2003, 11:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Idea!...never thought of that...then I can get some air without worry!
Old 11-20-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to bring this one back but I have a question. Today I was painting my rear calipers and I noticed that my drivers side bumpstop is almost completely gone, and the coating just above the mount is gone showing the paint. My passenger side is ok, why would this be? I still have my stock rims (16x8).

Quick Reply: 315's rubbing on bumpstop help???????