Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Switching back to 275's... need tire guidance

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching back to 275's... need tire guidance

I'm getting rid of the 335's out back and replacing with 275's all around. I need a more user friendly car since I'm out the military and going to school full time. Sticking with the same rims chrome ZR1 17x9.5.

I need a good daily driver tire that WILL NOT spin through 1st gear. I also want to be able to rotate the tires.

Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals (new design)
BFG KDW TA
BFG KDW2 (new weird design... may be too loud)
Birdgestone Potenza's
Nitto NT 555 (street version)
Nitto NT 555r DR

I had the Nitto DR's once before in a 275/315 rear and they hooked great but didn't last long. If any of the above will not hold 1st gear traction at WOT then they are out the question. My current Kumho XS 275/335 holds well but I don't know about dropping down to the same size all around.

I'm making 322hp and 365tq with true duals and a Monster LVL 3 with 18lb flywheel and I will be doing minor bolt ons to be around the same power level. I have weld in sfc, strano springs, koni sa's, adj spohn lca's, relo brackets, and adj sphon phb (all heim? rod ended). I will be upgraded the tranny, torque arm, and rear end if that matters.

I heard mixed reviews on all the tires except the Nitto DR which I know they will hold and are my noise tolerance level.

Any other experiences besides the Nitto DR's?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

If you want to rotate tires, you will need to go with a none directional if you want the ability to mount on any corner. The DRs are out...can't mount on front.

I really liked my old KDWs, but I can't remember if they were directional or not. I got 275/315 directionals, so no swapping for me. Also, I only ran them in the front, so I can't say how they would perform in the rear with 365 RWTQ.

I'm running the 555 now, but only in the front. nice tire for the price.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry man but you know this.... you are going to spin through first if the Nitto reag radial couldent hook and now you want a street tire that lasts a long time, and hooks better than a drag radial...its not going to happen
Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
I'm getting rid of the 335's out back and replacing with 275's all around. I need a more user friendly car since I'm out the military and going to school full time. Sticking with the same rims chrome ZR1 17x9.5.

I need a good daily driver tire that WILL NOT spin through 1st gear. I also want to be able to rotate the tires.

Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals (new design)
BFG KDW TA
BFG KDW2 (new weird design... may be too loud)
Birdgestone Potenza's
Nitto NT 555 (street version)
Nitto NT 555r DR

I had the Nitto DR's once before in a 275/315 rear and they hooked great but didn't last long. If any of the above will not hold 1st gear traction at WOT then they are out the question. My current Kumho XS 275/335 holds well but I don't know about dropping down to the same size all around.

I'm making 322hp and 365tq with true duals and a Monster LVL 3 with 18lb flywheel and I will be doing minor bolt ons to be around the same power level. I have weld in sfc, strano springs, koni sa's, adj spohn lca's, relo brackets, and adj sphon phb (all heim? rod ended). I will be upgraded the tranny, torque arm, and rear end if that matters.

I heard mixed reviews on all the tires except the Nitto DR which I know they will hold and are my noise tolerance level.

Any other experiences besides the Nitto DR's?

well i hate firestone so iunno, doubt you will like it...

i thought they only made the kdw in a 275 but i just looked on there site and it looks like they make the new tread in that size now (kdw2), and that in my opinion is going to be an all around tire, do i think it will completely stick in 1st, no but will it be the best sticky street tire that last a while??? YES!

EDIT: bridgestone potenza's are the worlds hardest tire, lol they wont stick for sure...

the nittos are going to stick the best, out of your selection, hands down... you cant get longevity and stickiness, you have to pick and choose which one you want...
Old 02-23-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had Nitto DR's 275 on front before with 315 in rear. They had really stiff sidewalls and it didn't seem to dart everywhere. Correct me if I'm wrong?

If I can rotate front to rear on same side, that would work too.

Out of those street tires, which ones hook best? The street Nitto's?

GSD3's?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

You gave us limited choices but out of them I have experience with the kdw2's
Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't forget that a 285/40/17 is also an option.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What other tire brands would be considered? Azenis?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there even any tire short of a drag radial that will stick at WOT in an M6 car? I've gone through Bridgestone Potenza, Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar, Pirelli P-zero, some Dunlop runflat junk, and my latest Michelin Pilot Sports. The Potenzas would hook up occassionally and the Pilots are about the same, but all the rest were completely useless... this too with a lowly stock LT1.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the best option that will atleast match is nitto 555 front and 555r for the rear on the same rims I have now. I would be pissed if I got smaller rims in the back and still not hook up.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
I think the best option that will atleast match is nitto 555 front and 555r for the rear on the same rims I have now. I would be pissed if I got smaller rims in the back and still not hook up.
If you're doing a DR in the back, what's the point of a skinnier tire? You don't expect to put the DR's up front and street tires on the back when you rotate the tires do you?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they just started offering the Continental ExtremeContact DW tire in 265/40r17, 275/40r17, and 285/40r17. Those are a max performance tire and light weight as well. Might want to look into them. Great reviews on tire rack. In the same league of tire as Michelin Pilot Ps2's , Pirelli Pzeros, and Goodyear F1 asymetrics but not too expensive and very quiet.

For the winter months I have there 275/40 ExtremeContact DWS tires which are similar but for all seasons and they are awesome. In late march I will be picking up a set of the DW tires for summer months in 265/40 front and 285/40 rear on stock ws6 rims.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to keep the 315 in the back and a 285 up front. I wanted to rotate them but if I will lose serious traction then it's out the question.