Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

$5,000+ Wheels? Help me understand.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $5,000+ Wheels? Help me understand.

I truly mean no disrespect to any companies selling these types of wheels, but I'm trying to understand how one set of wheels from OEWheels for example can be nicely done, and only cost 500$, and another set can cost 5000+. I've seen some wheels on exotics, and even corvettes that were very intricate, and I could understand a much higher price, but 5k+ I just can't.

The wheels don't really even seem to be that much lighter, which is what I originally thought was the idea.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I've owned a set of fikses... They were lighter and stronger. 3 piece wheels, so if you bent a lip, you could just buy a new lip. Yes the lips were expensive still but I more or less just bought them because I think fikse fm5s are the best looking wheel for an fbody.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:58 AM
TECH Junkie

By the way, I'm typing this on my iPhone so I don't feel like explaining a whole lot right not but I'm a marketing major and have done alot of my presentations on Fikse. There definately are alot of positives.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:59 AM
TECH Regular

Cool man, would love to hear some details when you get to your computer.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:52 AM
Teching In

I used to work for a very high end forged wheel company that did a lot of Vette's and exotics, and typically retail in the $5k/set range. I assume you're talking about forged multipiece wheels in that price range, although HRE and a few select forged wheel companies make forged monoblocks that are in that price range as well.

The biggest difference in price is cast wheels vs. forged (aka billet) wheels ~ when you make a ton of wheels in one style for one fitment, it's very cost effective to make a mold and create a low pressure casting. It's cheap, brittle, and heavy. They're generally painted in a single color, or sometimes offered with a painted center and a stainless steel lip inserted onto it.

Forged wheels (in the true sense of the word, also called billet) are cut from a solid block of forged aluminum (stronger, less brittle) to whatever style you want, CAD-designed specifically for your brake package/car for the absolute best fitment, and finished to your exact specification (any paint/chrome/etc finish you want, on whatever part of the wheel you want)... finally, they tend to offer great warranties on the finish which you won't find with cast wheels.

They fit perfectly, are almost always lighter/stronger, and most importantly ~ they look awesome. A great set of wheels can really set off a car that otherwise looks stock, and that's worth a ton of $$$ to a ton of people.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06dude
I used to work for a very high end forged wheel company that did a lot of Vette's and exotics, and typically retail in the $5k/set range. I assume you're talking about forged multipiece wheels in that price range, although HRE and a few select forged wheel companies make forged monoblocks that are in that price range as well.

The biggest difference in price is cast wheels vs. forged (aka billet) wheels ~ when you make a ton of wheels in one style for one fitment, it's very cost effective to make a mold and create a low pressure casting. It's cheap, brittle, and heavy. They're generally painted in a single color, or sometimes offered with a painted center and a stainless steel lip inserted onto it.

Forged wheels (in the true sense of the word, also called billet) are cut from a solid block of forged aluminum (stronger, less brittle) to whatever style you want, CAD-designed specifically for your brake package/car for the absolute best fitment, and finished to your exact specification (any paint/chrome/etc finish you want, on whatever part of the wheel you want)... finally, they tend to offer great warranties on the finish which you won't find with cast wheels.

They fit perfectly, are almost always lighter/stronger, and most importantly ~ they look awesome. A great set of wheels can really set off a car that otherwise looks stock, and that's worth a ton of $$$ to a ton of people.
WOW good answer
Old 05-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Teching In

X2 on the good answer couldnt have put it better myself
Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by 06dude

Well said. It's just a much more expensive way to make a wheel than the low pressure casting. Materials cost is more, labor cost is more.

Are the benefits worth the extra cost? That's up to the individual. Is a Ferrari worth it's price premium over the price of a Corvette? That would depend greatly on whether you're talking to a Vette or Ferrari owner.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Lighter/Stronger is the other part I have a problem with. Strength in a wheel has never been much of an issue from what I've seen. I don't think I've ever heard of a normal wheel just breaking, under any circumstances short of hitting a curb at 30+ mph.

How much lighter are fikse compared to a similar sized OEwheel? I thought I saw it as like 2lbs or something negligable.

I guess an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, but 5k just seems absurd.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Generally ppl dropping 5k are putting them on exotics or other high end cars. So 5k on a 100-500k car...its a drop in the bucket for them.
Sure you can get cheaper 1 piece designs, but like already said...alot more time and energy goes into making the high-end wheels, hence the price difference.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

I have seen the front wheel on two FWD cars break the center out while making a right turn. These were aftermarket wheels. Only reason I saw them was it was the same turn on my way to work...one civic and one neon. It was pretty obvious when the drivers side front wheel just snaps the center out it was not from hitting a curb while curve making a right turn. Before these two incidents I had never seen it happen either.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ExceSSive
I have seen the front wheel on two FWD cars break the center out while making a right turn. These were aftermarket wheels. Only reason I saw them was it was the same turn on my way to work...one civic and one neon. It was pretty obvious when the drivers side front wheel just snaps the center out it was not from hitting a curb while curve making a right turn. Before these two incidents I had never seen it happen either.
rotos prolly

and the 2lbs is ALOT when speaking rotating mass. if I remember right its 1lb unsprung weight is equal to 15 chassis lbs
Old 05-15-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hell, you get what you pay for.
As long as you don't expect a top notch finish, perfect fitment, and light weight from a $125 wheels you'll be happy

I'm a BIG fan of high dollar wheel, but not of the cost! So I'm willing to compromise,but not completely. That's why I spent $1500 on wheels I bought 10 years ago so they would last; and they have.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Another factor to consider is the balance of the wheel. When a wheel is cast the density of metal will be stronger/heavier in certain sections and weaker/lighter in other parts of the wheel. This will require you to use weights on the wheels to offset this. A forged/billet wheel will have an even amount of strength and weight throughout the center. The weights needed to balance one of these wheels should be none... however tires, valve stems, and improper installation of a tire on the rim could cause a forged wheel to still need minimal weights.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Daez
I truly mean no disrespect to any companies selling these types of wheels, but I'm trying to understand how one set of wheels from OEWheels for example can be nicely done, and only cost 500$, and another set can cost 5000+. I've seen some wheels on exotics, and even corvettes that were very intricate, and I could understand a much higher price, but 5k+ I just can't.

The wheels don't really even seem to be that much lighter, which is what I originally thought was the idea.
alot of the wheel materials come from china,especialy multipiece wheels some time price depends on brand,just like cars and so forth. 5k for a set of wheels would have to be a multipiece 24" or a 26" to 30" 1 piece wheel.....
Old 05-15-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will never understand this myself; the explanations given here just do not make me believe that wheels costing several thousands of dollars have any kind of effect on a car that makes them so valuable. Maybe the "high end" wheels should cost a bit more because of the manufacturing process, but 8-10X more? The $500-$700 sets of OE Wheels look great IMO and I'm sure they're not going to suddenly disintegrate while being driven on. FWIW I have a set of forged Weld Prostars and although they are a budget drag wheel I think they fit the bill quite nicely and only cost $700 a set. And FWIW I know that Fiske is a sponsor so maybe I shouldn't say this but appearance-wise the FM5 is IMO the most overrated wheel ever. They just look like a very generic 5-star. I guess I just don't get it, but I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this.
On the other hand if I could have any set of wheels I wanted I would take a set of Bogart D10s.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's economies of scale.
If you make 10,000 cast wheels, your per wheel cost is pretty low.
If each wheels you make is hand made or labor intensive, it's going to cost a lot more, regardless of what it does for the performance of the car.

Ferrari interiors are sewn by hand from carefully selected whole sides of leather. That might cost a bit more than the cheap leather or vinyl seats in a Chevy, even though they both just keep your butt off the carpet.

Some people will pay extra to have something unique. How often have you heard on this board people say they would like TTII wheels "except everyone has them?"
Old 05-15-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's my problem. I want something more unique than what everyone else has, but it seems every time I find a wheel I like, a set costs more than I paid for the car to begin with
Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Just like the production cost is higher for billet wheels, so is the profit margin. Put that in your economics pipe and smoke it.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well to me as soon as I get the $$$ you best believe I be getting some CCW SP500's!!!! If you dont like it then dont buy it but you cant deny they dont look sexy! Its like anything else out there, there is always a top of the line, and bottom of the line.