Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Newbie Question: Rims stuck. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question: Rims stuck. Help!

Bought some new 315's for the TA, but I worked two hours last night trying to take off the old tires and rims. The rears seem to be locked on the car. I sprayed some liquid wrench and got underneith and kicked the hell out of them. Any advice. Rim Puller? Or your own method that will scratch my rims the least. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried takin it to a tire shop? If you can't get em off say at your house or whatever i'd just try a tire shop there brother
Old 05-28-2010, 03:58 AM
TECH Junkie

They're probably stuck to the hub... I've used a rubber mallet for
problems like that, just a few taps on the tire in different areas, usually works.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

I had this prob on my Envoy with 6 lug (!) wheels. Tried the above suggestions, tried raising the rear VERY high and then "dropping" the rear down several times with no luck. I was desperate so I put on 3 of the lugs loosely and drove (!) up and down my driveway including the curbing and voila!, when I lifted the rear the troublesome rim had "broken" free! BTW, no harm to studs or to aluminum rims occurred. Hope this helps!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

the best way to remove them,,,,, jack up the car, remove lugs, now turn with your back to the wheel,, lift up one foot and very hard and firmly "back kick" the tire,,,, hitting it with the flat part of the bottom of your foot... I ALWAYS get the wheel off with this method,,, and never cause rim or stud damage.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

jack the car up.
Remove all 5lugs.
just drop the car.
as fassst as u can
pump that bitch back up

done..

lol Im jk. mallet!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can also put a very thin coating of lithium grease or anti-sieze on the face of the hub when you put the wheels back on to keep it from sticking again next time you go to take them off.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

like everyone else said... rubber mallet... it happened to me once on my old trans am... had to use a mallet to get em off!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

When doing this at work, I usually leave one lug nut on about 4-5 threads from the end. Using a 3lb deadblow hammer, I hit the inner lip of the rim. Never have damaged any wheels. Dont hit the tire, doesnt help because the sidewall will flex and absorb the blow of the hammer, plus the ol newton's law comes into affect and the hammer comes back at you just as fast if your not careful. Also, be sure to use jack stands. Dont just use the factory jack or something. Dont need it to fall on you while ur under there hammerin away. Sometimes you might have to hit it with everything you got! Ive had some pretty stuck on wheels. Always caused by corrsoion build-up between the hub and wheels. Just be sure to take a wire brush to the hub and put some chassis grease on the hub before reinstalling.

Quick Reply: Newbie Question: Rims stuck. Help!