Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

I think I ruined my caliper by grinding it to fit Prostars

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think I ruined my caliper by grinding it to fit Prostars

I followed the instuctions laid out in the "Grinding calipers 101" thread, checked for clearance with masking tape and ground only where it rubbed. Repeated this until I noticed two little depressed cracks in the caliper surface.

It's ruined, isn't it? How did this happen to me when so many other Fbody guys have managed to fit Weld Prostars and Draglites with no issues?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not seeing any cracks but maybe I'm blind.

EDIT: Just noticed you are doing the rear calipers, I didn't have to grind mine but my pads needed replaced and it gave me a little more clearance

Here are what mine looked like

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 6545
Size:  57.7 KB
Old 07-05-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea ur deff blind
Old 07-05-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely did not grind mine down as much as you did, but I also ran spacers...
Old 07-05-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can see two dots of daylight on either side of the big notch in the middle, not good. I'm not using spacers and my pads are pretty much new. I thought about sanding the pads down but I figured that if it's that close then I shouldn't even bother with trying to make them fit.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Correct me if I'm wrong but if no brake fluid is coming out of the two little holes I think they're still fine. Try pressing the brakes see if fluid comes out! Unless those little holes act as a air leak of some sort which I don't see why! Anyone else on this? I grinded the sh*t out of mine but didn't reach them little holes on them. Seems like you only focused on grinding in that one spot alot! I grinded the ribs in the back and that area on your pic evenly. Front calipers didn't require as much grinding as the rears.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm afraid that the structural integrity has been compromised; these things undergo a lot of heat cycling and it's my daily driver. I ground a little, tested for fitment, ground a little more only where there was rubbing, and then I saw the holes.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm pretty sure that's how mine looked before they fit. I never had any problems.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:55 AM
11 Second Club

I checked mine out and I can slightly see those two dimples on mine but not as much as on yours.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

They look like casting marks, if they bother you fill with JB Weld sand, and paint. Keep for drags, and get a second set to use as daily. You do know they make wheels that you no longer have to do this with, they have the lip area enlarged to prevent this contact.

[QUOTE]dlove
YOUMAD
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 23
Race Star Industries (Greg Weld Wheels) http://www.racestarindustries.com/

Greg Weld wheels is no more. So you won't ever get a "Greg Weld" wheel again. Well if you happen to be after one, you are in luck. RSI has bought the design and molds for the Greg Weld wheels. They have redesigned the front of the wheel slightly, most wont even notice the changes. But more importantly, the rear of the wheel has been reshaped to FIT over stock LS1 brakes. I have personally had these wheels installed on stock brakes. Look for them to come out in the next couple months. They will not be sold at summit/jegs. Instead check with ls1tech sponsors first. If not, your local mom/pa wheel store will be your choice. I'm sure you will have questions, so ask away! Please refer to the wheels as Race Star's and not Greg Welds. [QUOTE]

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without

Last edited by 1993 z28 f1; 07-08-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tommyv8
I'm afraid that the structural integrity has been compromised; these things undergo a lot of heat cycling and it's my daily driver. I ground a little, tested for fitment, ground a little more only where there was rubbing, and then I saw the holes.
They will still work, but as you said, this is a concern of mine as well. You can still use them, but don't be stoping hard a lot, or else you are very liekly to spread the caliper.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I've been told that I can JB weld them but the caliper is only $39.99 so I just replaced it for peace of mind. I will consider the Racestar wheels, unless I can't sell or trade my Welds in which case my friend with an LT1 car will swap brakes with me. I think that LT1 brakes with half-worn pads (mine were new) should be a lot easier to deal with.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are referring to the round dimple, then that is where the caliper is drilled for the pin to pass through from the other side. I ground mine down to this point also and didn't have any problems with them. I did use a 5/16" spacer too.

For the record there is no fluid that passes through this area in the caliper.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know it wouldn't leak, I'm just afraid of it cracking where those two holes now are where no holes should be.
I tested fitment with a 5/16" spacer just to see if I was getting close; if I used a spacer than a lot less grinding would have been necessary.

Quick Reply: I think I ruined my caliper by grinding it to fit Prostars