Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What to do for the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do for the winter?

Well, I bought my 2002 Camaro in May, and I had the nitto DR's from my first car (RIP). I have 16 inch stock chrome rims with the nittos and some off brand fronts. My car currently has no ASR and I live in NJ where the weather is unpredictable and keep in mind im only 17 years old. My nittos have plenty of life left in them and will be good easily for the next year. Should i just buy 2 stock rims (possibly chrome to match the rest) and put winter tires on(if so which ones), should i take a chance with the DR's in the snow or should i just take the tires off the rim and pay to get them re put on next spring
Old 07-15-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a little early for snow, I hope, but it's good that you're planning early.....

I live in the snow belt, and have plenty of winter driving experience, if different types of vehicles. My advice is this, wait a couple of months, until Tire rack, Discount Tire, etc, gettheir shipment of snow tires in for the season. They have inexpensive, steel, "winter wheels". Get 4 of these, and 4 Firestone Winterforce tires. They're a good, budget friendly snow tire. You'll thank me next spring.......
Old 07-15-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^That's good advice, definitely get winter tires. Or at the very least a good all-season tire that gets good reviews for snow, although actual winter tires are better.
Driving through the snow on ANY drag radial will cause you to either A. not move at all, or B. if you do get down the street you will then immediately plow into someone's lawn, tree or mailbox. It just won't work. At all.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly what the others said, get winter tires for sure and if you can manage some other rims other than your nice chrome ones that would definitely be a plus cause the weather and salts will eat them FAST. Ask your parents for a loan from them if that's possible

Just be real careful when winter comes around....ask me how I know
Old 07-16-2011, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

honestly, save up 1-2 grand and buy a beater for winter.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black96z28
this^ or move to a warm climate.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

I've recommended that before, but then gotten arguments that $1500 cars aren't reliable, "we don"t get that much snow here", then you have to store another car, etc, etc, etc, so I've given up on that recommendation.

BUT, just for the record, I drive a GMC Canyon 4x4 with Blizzaks, in the winter....
Old 07-17-2011, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

I think i will go with buying the rims and snow tires. However, will I need to buy 4 tires/rims or can I get away with keeping the not so good fronts I have on now and just have mismatching rims for a bit. Will probally just end up buying 4 rims tho.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Camarosteve44
I think i will go with buying the rims and snow tires. However, will I need to buy 4 tires/rims or can I get away with keeping the not so good fronts I have on now and just have mismatching rims for a bit. Will probally just end up buying 4 rims tho.
A couple of steel rims arent' going to add that much to the bill. Secondly, if you order 4 wheels and 4 tires from the big retailers, they'll arrive mounted and balanced, and less hassle for you...
Old 07-17-2011, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Bingo. I'd never drive mine in the winter. Thats why I made sure I had a daily/beater before getting my z28.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

drive on the nittos. winter tires arent going to help. they are either gonna go or sit if there is snow. putting a winter tire wont be affective imo.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSmoken
drive on the nittos. winter tires arent going to help. they are either gonna go or sit if there is snow. putting a winter tire wont be affective imo.
Says the guy who lives in the south.

Yeah, there's no diff in the snow between a winter tire and a Nitto DR.

Winter tires DEFINITLY help. There are plenty of documented tests where they beat all season or summer tires in every winter tire category. Just the narrower tread alone will help in the snow and slush.

Besides the winter tires, throw a couple of bags of sand or rock salt in the hatch storage well. The weight will help you with traction, and if you do get stuck, you can spread out some sand or salt to help you get going again.

Oh, and don't worry about the lack of ASR, mine has it and it's basically useless in the snow. I had to shut mine off to get anywhere the few times I got stuck driving it in the snow.

Just go real light on the throttle, and plan your steering and braking moves far in advance (when possible). And remember, even when you have traction, you generally only haveenough to steer, or brake. Rarely can you do both effectively in the snow.

It might help you to wait till the first snowfall, and head out to an empty parking lot (watch for police!!!) and intentionally do a few slides to get some practice on car control. Chance are at some point the rear end WILL kick out when you don't want it to, and being able to control a sliding car is a big advantage in the snow.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSmoken
That statement is SO wrong on several levels.....