Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Cheap Drag wheel/tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cheap Drag wheel/tire suggestions

Hi guys. I'm basically a noob when it comes to all the drag tire/wheel combinations 15x8 , 15x10 , backspacing required, etc.

I just want a cheap setup for a little extra bite for a occasional trip to the track. Nothing serious at all.

I've read up some on summit and jeg wheels but I'd like a set that bolts right up with no grinding or spacers; does such a thing exist or is that why these wheels run so cheap?

Any suggestions at all would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

My car is a cammed 98 trans am A4 3600 stall
Old 02-03-2012, 04:43 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jegs and summit wheels are heavy and china made,real drag wheels that are light, fit with no issues are going to cost alot more, most drag wheels you have to grind etc, its not a big deal to grind ,run spacers etc, if you search you will find tons of info on this topic, but yes with summit wheels,jegs,pro stars , draglites and other will need to grind for extra clearance
Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
jegs and summit wheels are heavy and china made,real drag wheels that are light, fit with no issues are going to cost alot more, most drag wheels you have to grind etc, its not a big deal to grind ,run spacers etc, if you search you will find tons of info on this topic, but yes with summit wheels,jegs,pro stars , draglites and other will need to grind for extra clearance
I went and looked at some wheels last night that had some tires mounted and they looked like Weld Prostars (I know Jegs and Summit knocked them off) but my question has to do with telling the difference between the knockoffs and the real Weld Racing Prostars.

I believe that all of the Weld Racing Wheels have Weld Racing stamped into the face of the wheel near the center cap. Is this true? The guy had receipts from Summit showing they were Weld Wheels but I honestly cant recall ever seeing Weld Racing Prostars without the stamping.

Joe
Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Captain Double Post

on the back of the rim it will say pro star on them, alot of people get the summit knock offs and just put a weld center cap in them ,i know my fronts are very old and have pro star on the back of them
Old 02-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Teching In

How about the Weld drag wheels; are they a direct fit?

Would these work?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLD-96-510284/

How about a set of direct fit front runners; any suggestions?

Thanks again
Old 02-03-2012, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deathcharge
How about the Weld drag wheels; are they a direct fit?

Would these work?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLD-96-510284/

How about a set of direct fit front runners; any suggestions?

Thanks again
Unfortunately, no. The only Weld Wheels that clear OEM brakes are a newer design out that were built specifically in mind for cars with newer big brakes. These are the complete line of the Weld Racing RT line, and the RTS S71 line. If you have any questions on these wheels, PM me again and I'd be happy to help.

on the back of the rim it will say pro star on them, alot of people get the summit knock offs and just put a weld center cap in them ,i know my fronts are very old and have pro star on the back of them
A dead giveaway is the lug nut area. The real Welds have a 5/8 hole without any recess, for a shank style lug nut. The knock offs have a bigger bore for a 60 degree conical seat (acorn style) lug nut. Plus if you can't lift them up with one finger, they're not real Welds.

Real Weld lug nut area:

Summit/Jegs knock off lug nut area:

Old 02-03-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

That is what I thought too! Here is an update from Weld Racing when I called them today:

"Weld used to put Weld Racing on the rims Prior to the Bankruptcy! When American Racing bought us, they had us remove the stamped words for whatever reason back in Late 2007/Early 2008. We are hoping that the stamping will comeback sometime this year. The other giveaway, is that the Summit and Jegs wheels are Cast and ours are not!"

I didnt know that about the Summit and Jegs wheels as I had never seen them in person.

Joe
Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Have you looked into the Race Stars
?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Sorry to dredge up an old thread BUT I found this while searching and must answer..

Weld prostar wheels are not cast as stated but are stamped from sheet aluminium. They have a steel cage in the center which the lug nuts clamp onto.

The difference between genuine welds and the cheap copys is very obvious when you look at them in person!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:31 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

And for anybody searching for some affordable wheels, Billet Specialty Street Lites are like $1200 for a set and are very light and strong...
Old 07-29-2014, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

I am running a pair of 16" snowflake stockers with toyo tq drag radials. Bought them from someone here on ls1tech with the tires practicaly new for under 200 bucks. The tires are amazing both on the street and track. Would recommend them again and again. Not using skinnies up front at this time but if I was I'd probably get a pair of 17" GTO spares. Can't get any more cheap and affordable than that.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

16" v6 wheels or an old set of s10 wheels are gonna be your cheapest swap around for some sticky tires. If you want something you can run all the time, street lites and Racestar are nice budget wheels. I have $1500 in my full 17" Racestar setup with mickey DRs and Hoosier fronts.

Quick Reply: Cheap Drag wheel/tire suggestions