Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Least expensive multipiece period

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Least expensive multipiece period

I'm looking for the Least expensive multipiece period...any suggestions?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

CCW classics are $2600/set.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Race version Classics are 2300.

Buy them used for half.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ this
Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by desertLS1
Race version Classics are 2300.

Buy them used for half.
18s? know of any used 5x115/5x114.3/5x4.5 high offset, 20s work too
Old 02-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

true forged has good prices, honest your best bet is to look for a used set,forgestars are a really good price as well, not what your looking for butvery nice wheel fr the money, what car are they going on? if there for the monte i think the f05s would look great on there, look into them and then hit up nineball,im waiting on him to return my email with a price for i forged aeros , anyone know how much they run, i was thinking around 3grand?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
true forged has good prices, honest your best bet is to look for a used set,forgestars are a really good price as well, not what your looking for butvery nice wheel fr the money, what car are they going on? if there for the monte i think the f05s would look great on there, look into them and then hit up nineball,im waiting on him to return my email with a price for i forged aeros , anyone know how much they run, i was thinking around 3grand?
I looked into true forged and they were over $3000 for 18s a little rich for my blood. The most I wanna go is $2250 maybe $2500 if I'm feeling extra good that day. And I really, really want 20s. Looks like I need to go with used.

It's for an 06 Impala SS with 2010 Camaro Brembos up front, stockers don't fit, and my 20" Lexanis (pictured) don't fit either

I need an 18x8-9, or 20x8-9 with around +40 offset for the back, and around +30 for the front unless the wheels have excellent caliper clearance then I can go higher on offset up front

EDIT: CCW says that with my Brakes only the Corsair series will fit, which aren't multipiece and cost more, which im thinkin is BS considering ive seen Classics on a C6 zo6, but the guy I talked to sounded like he hates his job so I'll call again later

Last edited by V8ImpSS; 02-23-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Just so you guys realise that Forgestars, are not really forged.

It states right on their website they are cast. Awesome marketing. I do think the concept of what they call rotary forged is interesting, but it is not the same as a real forged wheel. This is why they are nearly 1/2 the price, they are not made the same way.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
Just so you guys realise that Forgestars, are not really forged.

It states right on their website they are cast. Awesome marketing. I do think the concept of what they call rotary forged is interesting, but it is not the same as a real forged wheel. This is why they are nearly 1/2 the price, they are not made the same way.
But they sure are sick.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CCW Classics will not clear those brakes.

what the guy said was correct.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgestar is rotary forged but they look good and have great prices
Old 02-24-2012, 06:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
EDIT: CCW says that with my Brakes only the Corsair series will fit, which aren't multipiece and cost more, which im thinkin is BS considering ive seen Classics on a C6 zo6, but the guy I talked to sounded like he hates his job so I'll call again later

Most people who deal with CCW are very quick to point out that their customer service is 1st rate. I think that you need to be a little more understanding of your application, in that it's pretty "unique"....a FWD car with significantly bigger than OE brakes.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Forgestar is rotary forged but they look good and have great prices
They do look very nice, but the facts are that the center section is cast, unlike real forged wheels where the center is forged.

The term Rotary Forged is one they created with the process they developed and only changes the structures of the hoop.

From the Forgestar site.

This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel. During Flow Forming, the pressure applied to the cast rim actually changes its mechanical properties, so its strength and impact values become similar to those of a forged rim. That translates to up to 15% less weight when compared to a standard cast wheel. The resulting grain structure within the alloy of the wheel is linear, flowing in a single direction.

http://www.forgestar.com/v2/technology.php

With over 30 years of combined experience in the automotive wheel industry Forgestar Performance Wheels has bridged the gap between forged wheels and cast wheels.

http://www.forgestar.com/v2/about.php

An interesting video showing of Rays Engineering wheels being made. It is a lot of work and equipment. No casting in the process, just billets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Armx02_R7Y0

That said, I do think they are likely better than standard cast rim, but doubt it has the same integrity as a true forged rim.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably not, but they are light too and look awesome. And the price is right.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Guitar
Probably not, but they are light too and look awesome. And the price is right.
I do not disagree.

The only reason I posted this is I had a buddy tell me I was nuts for buying CCWs for so much more money when I could get a real forged wheel from Forgestar for so much less. So it made me look into why they were only 60% the price of CCWs, when typically CCWs are actually quite a good deal comapred to 99% of the 3 pc forged wheel out there.

I just wanted people to be aware if you see the name Forgestar, you are not getting what other Forged wheel companies are offering.

I have 2 sets of TTMs and they are just cast and I am certain the Forgestars would be lighter and stronger than them, I just do not believe they would be stronger than the CCWs.

There is also a matter of the little machining details that cost more too.

You can see they just do a straight cut on the outer surface with out a machined chamfer. That alone is an extra hour on the CNC machine. CCW has all the pockets chamfered as well as the bolt pockets. Not to mention the time to polish the rim, vs leaving the cut surface. My Torque Thrusts were cheap. The machining on the Forgestar is on par with the machining on my Torque Thrusts.

The Forgestars seem like a very cost effective Forged wheel alternative, but they are not apples to apples. It depends what you want.

Forgestars

CCW - this is the base wheel, no options.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enkei Win would probably be the cheapest youll ever find..