Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

17" MT ET Streets - I do not recommend

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down 17" MT ET Streets - I do not recommend

Just spoke with Mike at MT regarding a tube for the 17" MT ET street and... there's no tube available that would fit this "tube-type" tire and he said the tire should not be patched . Mike told me if you get a flat on one of these tires even if it's a small hole...MT recommends you replace the tire . That really sucks considering I just bought these &(*%$^&*&

The impression I got after my conversation with Mike (330-928-9092 ext. 113) was due to the rubber composit and the fact they're non-repairable...the MT ET streets are not really a street tire at all but strickly strip...

I'm glad I did not sell my Nitto's. BTW, I have one nearly new 17" MT ET street for sale...$75.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

did you get a flat on the other one or what? How many miles on the good tire? I'd be interested in that good tire you have
Old 04-05-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
did you get a flat on the other one or what? How many miles on the good tire? I'd be interested in that good tire you have
hello 9 ball.

Sorry but the tire has already sold...on a local board. The other tire caught a small nail...now it's trash with less than 100 miles on it.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

shitty
Old 04-05-2004, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Well crap. I already have my set. But they are only for the track.

Last edited by Ed LS1 Vert; 04-05-2004 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

I also already have my set, I knew they weren't really a "daily driving" street tire. That's why I'm trying to buy another set of 17x11 Torque Thrusts to mount these on. I had a set of 28x11.50x15 ET Streets on my V8 S10 and you could tell, that they weren't really designed for much street use.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

wow sorry to hear about that. i guess their intentional use is to mount them and be able to drive to the track with them, but not really for everyday use
Old 04-06-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Yea, they have a pretty flexible sidewall in my opinion, not so much on the 26x11.50x17 but on the 15", 16" wheel sizes, they have a pretty soft sidewall...and driving for any distance is less than comfortable...they have a lot of sway and "wobble" to them. I drove mine on the highway in KC one night and it took forever cause I really didn't like driving at like 60mph steadily on them.

Probably one of the main purposes of them is that they are DOT legal, even though I've seen people in KC get tickets for them, and at a track...you wouldn't have to run long wheel studs or a driveshaft loop like you would if you had ET Drags.

I'm a big fan of ET Streets, I think they are a great tire for racing on the street...I'm anxious to see what the 26x11.50x17s will do for me.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by houseofboost
Yea, they have a pretty flexible sidewall in my opinion, not so much on the 26x11.50x17 but on the 15", 16" wheel sizes, they have a pretty soft sidewall...and driving for any distance is less than comfortable...they have a lot of sway and "wobble" to them. I drove mine on the highway in KC one night and it took forever cause I really didn't like driving at like 60mph steadily on them.

Probably one of the main purposes of them is that they are DOT legal, even though I've seen people in KC get tickets for them, and at a track...you wouldn't have to run long wheel studs or a driveshaft loop like you would if you had ET Drags.

I'm a big fan of ET Streets, I think they are a great tire for racing on the street...I'm anxious to see what the 26x11.50x17s will do for me.
they are a good strip tire. But only a great street tire if your pockets are deep. This is Hot Rod Mag's recent quote regarding the new M/T Drag Radials (which are a lot more "streetable" than the bias ply)"......we wouldn't recommend using them extensively on the street unless you're helping send your tire dealer's kids through college. ..."

Best way to go with these tires is mount on seperate rims and haul to track (IMO).
Old 04-06-2004, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

ET Streets are definitely not daily-driver tires. If you ever have been caught in the lightest of rain showers on ET Streets, you are limited to about 20 mph otherwise you will slip right off the road. They SUCK when the road is damp, I had to drive 20 mph on the shoulder of the freeway once, any faster and the car got sideways.

But, they are a good all-around raceday tire that you can drive to the track with, as long as you don't hit water or nails
Old 04-06-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hugger427
The impression I got after my conversation with Mike (330-928-9092 ext. 113) was due to the rubber composit and the fact they're non-repairable...the MT ET streets are not really a street tire at all but strickly strip...
That is correct, they are not 'street tires' for sure. They are strip tires that you can technically LEGALLY drive on the street with, that's all.

Nittos are probably the best streetable drag tires available. BFG DRs are better strip tires but worse street tires (much worse rain peformance, and higher wear rate). The new MT DRs are probably even more towards the strip extreme, but still streetable. ET Streets are just street legal drag tires, a small step down from true ET Drags (which are not street legal).

Dope
Old 04-07-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

I would not consider ET STREETS or these new MT street slicks as a daily driver tires by any means. Get some nittos as use the stickies for the track!