Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

315s rubbing, BFH? Cut Bumpstops? Roll fender?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 315s rubbing, BFH? Cut Bumpstops? Roll fender?

Hey guys,

So I had my MT ET Street IIs mounted on Sat onto rear 17inch, 11inch wide ZR1 rims with a 50 mm offset.

At first, we had to put my old rear rims/tires on at Discount Tires because they couldn't even mount the new rear rims with the 315s on them to the car, wouldn't fit. He suggested that I cut the bumpstops but I'm not sure if this was the real issue since what happened next.

So I went home, I jacked up the rear. While I was waiting for my friend to return my grinder to cut the bumpstops I figured I would bang the inner fender some. Since after researching here people with the same setup, this was the main issue.

Although, I didn't really know where/what to bang in. So I just covered decent amount of area but didn't really go at it for longer than 10 minutes, I know more beating has to be done.

However, I was in fact able to mount the rear rims after this minor beating. Took the car around the block. There is no rubbing going straight, but if you turn at a 45 degree angle there is some rubbing.

My questions are:

1. When people say BFH, What is the main area that needs to be beat in around that inner fender? I want to make sure I am getting the area that is causing the rubbing and not just wasting time/bashing my car.

2. My car is lowered on BMR springs and the rear isolaters are out, Will I have to roll the fender to stop it from cutting my tires at WOT?

3. Typically with this setup, Do I need to cut my bumpstops out?

Thanks guys, I hope I can get these to fit/work right because these tires were expensive.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think every car is different, mine I had to BFH the bottom of the inner fender a tad bit.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Name:  20130105_193258_zps66913540.jpeg
Views: 3005
Size:  83.3 KB

Here's a good picture of where you need to do the BFH.

And I am on BMR springs as well with 315s in the rear. My bumpstops are fine where they are. You just may need to grind down the outer face of them so they are flush with the inner wheel well. I have not rolled my fenders yet and they seem to be good but I will be rolling them just as a precaution when spring comes around.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never understand how you guys with 315s have trouble when I have 325s with hardly any work to fit. The tire shop wouldn't mount them on your new wheels probably because they had the car on a lift and saw that when putting the wheel on it was rubbing the bumpstop, yet when the suspension is loaded with the car on the ground it should clear it just fine. If it were me, I'd just cut all of that **** out and beat the lower inner wheel wells and call it a day.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
I think every car is different, mine I had to BFH the bottom of the inner fender a tad bit.
Originally Posted by Streetlegal?

Here's a good picture of where you need to do the BFH.

And I am on BMR springs as well with 315s in the rear. My bumpstops are fine where they are. You just may need to grind down the outer face of them so they are flush with the inner wheel well. I have not rolled my fenders yet and they seem to be good but I will be rolling them just as a precaution when spring comes around.
In regards to the bumpstops, it does look like in your pic you did cut out where the stock bump stop mounts would be.

And as far as the BFH, It seems that the front on the inner fender is the main/only area that needs to be bashed in some?

Also, so you have gone WOT wo any cutting of the tires?

I believe I am going to cut the bumpstops and bfh this Sat. If the weather isn't *** freezing cold for the dr's I'm going to take it for a cruise and go WOT a few times to see about my fenders being rolled.

Thanks for the pic man!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro396
I'd just cut all of that **** out and beat the lower inner wheel wells and call it a day.
X2.

That's what I did. I have 325/50 Mickeys on my car and I just cut the bump stops out (I didnt cut as much as pictured above), beat the area shown with a mini sledge and rolled the quarter panel and havent ever ran into an issue and I dont have a front sway bar.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Launching!

all the above works out i hammered a lil higher thatn in the picture but really just to even things out a bit looks wise. also, any parts store i.e autozone,advanced auto sell rubberized undercoating in a spray can so yiou can redo the wheel wells if desired
Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro396
I never understand how you guys with 315s have trouble when I have 325s with hardly any work to fit. The tire shop wouldn't mount them on your new wheels probably because they had the car on a lift and saw that when putting the wheel on it was rubbing the bumpstop, yet when the suspension is loaded with the car on the ground it should clear it just fine. If it were me, I'd just cut all of that **** out and beat the lower inner wheel wells and call it a day.
Yep, that makes perofect sense on why it wouldn't/now would fit. I'll be doing this Saturday.

Originally Posted by SMOKNSS
X2.

That's what I did. I have 325/50 Mickeys on my car and I just cut the bump stops out (I didnt cut as much as pictured above), beat the area shown with a mini sledge and rolled the quarter panel and havent ever ran into an issue and I dont have a front sway bar.
Originally Posted by dc4bill
all the above works out i hammered a lil higher thatn in the picture but really just to even things out a bit looks wise. also, any parts store i.e autozone,advanced auto sell rubberized undercoating in a spray can so yiou can redo the wheel wells if desired
Thanks guys.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Bfh here
Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Bfh here
Thats all you did? No cutting the bump stops or fender rolling?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The offset on your wheels and if you have an adjustable panhard bar
will determine if you need to roll the fenders or bfh the inners.

I noticed on lowered cars both is usually required.

Also don't drive in the winter with DR's,
because of the summer type rubber compound they don't have
any traction when it's freezing cold out.

It is also better to roll your fenders then to take a chance on slicing up the side walls on a new pair of tires. It only takes one nice launch to ruin a tire.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69TA
The offset on your wheels and if you have an adjustable panhard bar
will determine if you need to roll the fenders or bfh the inners.

I noticed on lowered cars both is usually required.

Also don't drive in the winter with DR's,
because of the summer type rubber compound they don't have
any traction when it's freezing cold out.

It is also better to roll your fenders then to take a chance on slicing up the side walls on a new pair of tires. It only takes one nice launch to ruin a tire.
The rear rims offset are 50mm. I don't have an adjustable PHB yet but I will within a month. Yeah, I believe once its warmer out I am going to def roll my fenders.

The car is garaged during the winter. The garage is insulated but not heated. I did however put the rear on jackstands last night and dropped the pressure to 10psi. The car sits on a tarp and covered by car cover. Do you think this is good enough for the life of my MT's? Thanks!

I really dont have any room in the house for the rims/tires.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I think the tires will be fine just don't let them sit too Long
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Well I can say one thing about bump stops. I was convinced by a friend when I bought my first 4th generation camaro to grind off the bump stops to make my wheels fit. I thought it was crazy but after rolling the fender lip and doing other things, I decided he knew better than me (was his 3rd or 4th fourth gen).

I took out the grinder and went to work. Grinded the little bastards off and waaallaaa. It worked.

Now driving around town when I hit a bump it feels like the world is coming to an end. It got SO BAD and so bad for my tires that I had to have a custom fab bump stop put on to stop the madness.

All in all, I would never EVER grind off a bump stop again. Dont know if this helps you or not, but friendly advice from a guy who has owned 6 different camaro's including 3 4th generation ones.. DONT REMOVE THE BUMP STOPS.!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackmaverick
Well I can say one thing about bump stops. I was convinced by a friend when I bought my first 4th generation camaro to grind off the bump stops to make my wheels fit. I thought it was crazy but after rolling the fender lip and doing other things, I decided he knew better than me (was his 3rd or 4th fourth gen).

I took out the grinder and went to work. Grinded the little bastards off and waaallaaa. It worked.

Now driving around town when I hit a bump it feels like the world is coming to an end. It got SO BAD and so bad for my tires that I had to have a custom fab bump stop put on to stop the madness.

All in all, I would never EVER grind off a bump stop again. Dont know if this helps you or not, but friendly advice from a guy who has owned 6 different camaro's including 3 4th generation ones.. DONT REMOVE THE BUMP STOPS.!
Really? Damn what kind of bumps are you hitting? lol

I don't even have the stops anymore just the mounts left in the sheet metal. The car has been this way since I bought it in 08 and I haven't had any problems.

To add, even though the backseats in our cars do not weigh much. I believe I will be still taking it out so no one can sit back there just so I dont risk this problem or bottoming out my true duals, in " extreme conditions / serious bumps " lol
Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Its been a while but I also have the AFS 17x11 ZR1 wheel with 315 35 17s, unsure on the backspace (had them 5+ years). The only issue I have is when the car car is put on a lift and the rim extends past the bump stop. The key is when you raise the car raise it from the suspension not the body.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Really? Damn what kind of bumps are you hitting? lol

I don't even have the stops anymore just the mounts left in the sheet metal. The car has been this way since I bought it in 08 and I haven't had any problems.

To add, even though the backseats in our cars do not weigh much. I believe I will be still taking it out so no one can sit back there just so I dont risk this problem or bottoming out my true duals, in " extreme conditions / serious bumps " lol
I have mine the same way. I cut off the acutal stop itself and left the sheet metal and I have never had an issue and the 15x10s with 325 mickeys never come off my car.

I did the same thing. I just removed the back seats. It makes it a little easier for me to store stuff now that the seats aren't there, and I think it looks better.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlrz28
Its been a while but I also have the AFS 17x11 ZR1 wheel with 315 35 17s, unsure on the backspace (had them 5+ years). The only issue I have is when the car car is put on a lift and the rim extends past the bump stop. The key is when you raise the car raise it from the suspension not the body.
I'd like to think the car won't ever be on a lift where the suspension is un-loaded, but I know it will be. I actually have a rear end going in the end of Feb so some customization of these stops must be done for that. Other than that I prob would have just left it lol

Originally Posted by SMOKNSS
I have mine the same way. I cut off the acutal stop itself and left the sheet metal and I have never had an issue and the 15x10s with 325 mickeys never come off my car.

I did the same thing. I just removed the back seats. It makes it a little easier for me to store stuff now that the seats aren't there, and I think it looks better.
I'm just hoping that after I cut these suckers out this Sat, along with beating my inner fender I won't be hearing any damn rubbing. Yeah people in the back seat are no fun anyways!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

The picture above is my car. i havent had a problem with not having the bumpstops...needed them gone to make the 19x12s and 345s fit
Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT
The picture above is my car. i havent had a problem with not having the bumpstops...needed them gone to make the 19x12s and 345s fit
That is some serious meat!

Quick Reply: 315s rubbing, BFH? Cut Bumpstops? Roll fender?