Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Forgestar F14 Color for a SOM Z28

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Forgestar F14 Color for a SOM Z28

I plan on joining the F14 wheel club here soon.

I'm having trouble picking the color. I thought about just going Piano black but I doubt it will pop on the SOM color as much.

The safe pick would be to just go Brilliant Silver.

Other considerations:
Bronze Burst (Really wish I could see this)
Frost White
Gunmetal

Opinions?
Old 12-20-2017, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Piano black with a SOM pinstripe? Personally I like black on SOM, or some nice polished wheels..

Heres polished F14s
Old 12-20-2017, 09:40 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wish Forgestar still offered polished wheels directly. I believe you have to polish them yourself, get them polished, or buy from a vendor that offers polishing. The latter option can be pretty expensive based upon what I’ve seen.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Exactly BTC, if I could just get Polished for around the same price I would do that in a heartbeat but working with one of the vendors they can make it happen but it's a big price hike for that service. I still need to buy Koni's and sway for auto-x next season lol.

Wish I could see the Bronze Burst on SOM, it looks really good on some pics I've seen on other cars. It would give a unique look I'm sure.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:55 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I’m also looking at wheels and considered Forgestar during their recent sale. My car is Quasar Blue with a black hardtop, mirrors and limo tint. Piano black might look good, but polished would probably be a much safer choice. I’ve never had black wheels on a car.

I think you can buy blanks and finish/polish them yourself, but I’ve never done it and have no idea how involved or difficult it might be.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with gloss black or gloss gunmetal, either will look sharp on SOM
Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
Piano black with a SOM pinstripe? Personally I like black on SOM, or some nice polished wheels..

Heres polished F14s
dang those look nice...i really wish they offered polished or at least the brushed finish they used to offer
Old 12-23-2017, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't go with black please. Black looks like **** on a som car. Google "som camaro wheels" and go through a bunch of pics and you will see that all the cars with light colored wheels (chrome, polished, silver, light grey) all look much better than any with black wheels.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Bronze has my vote. I plan on powder coating my fm5's in a matte bronze for my hoss
Old 12-25-2017, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Several local guys have had lots of issues with Forgestar powdercoating quality so if you decide to go on a powdercoated color I would have them redone by someone local to you so that you can ensure the finish quality is good.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Several local guys have had lots of issues with Forgestar powdercoating quality so if you decide to go on a powdercoated color I would have them redone by someone local to you so that you can ensure the finish quality is good.
Really? That's a bit disappointing. I assume it just starts flaking?
Old 12-26-2017, 07:53 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Is it a finish quality issue, or a durability issue? I have a set of F14s on my Viper for drag racing duty, and noted no issues with the quality of the powder on the set I received.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Im considering the color black graphite for my SOM SS. I dont want full on black, and their gunmetal offering isnt a great shade of gunmetal imo. Black graphite splits the difference perfectly to me and would look great with SOM.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Necron
Really? That's a bit disappointing. I assume it just starts flaking?
Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Is it a finish quality issue, or a durability issue? I have a set of F14s on my Viper for drag racing duty, and noted no issues with the quality of the powder on the set I received.
I think there were issues with flaking and the wheels were sent back to be refinished. The biggest problems were with the finish not matching their other wheels when refinished. Or they paid for the standard Forgestar color option and they looked nothing like promised or advertised.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Im considering the color black graphite for my SOM SS. I dont want full on black, and their gunmetal offering isnt a great shade of gunmetal imo. Black graphite splits the difference perfectly to me and would look great with SOM.
Do some research. I was thinking the same thing, but found out they changed the color slightly and its more of a metallic black now and less graphite/gunmetal. I was finding a lot of older pics, and they were perfect, meaning they were slightly darker than the current gunmetal. I also spoke with Tony (Nineball), he said the same thing.

I ended up going with the gunmetal

Quick Reply: Forgestar F14 Color for a SOM Z28