Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Best Tires for Street Hook?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best Tires for Street Hook?

I'm looking for some advice and experiences on tires. It's a tricky topic because I know everyone has slightly different needs and expectations.

I'm making about 400whp and running the stock 17's with an M6 and 4.10 gears. My current tires are a decent 275/40 summer tire, but they don't hook up well at all on the street. I basically get no traction in 1st or 2nd. My idea was to replace the rear tires with some kind of DOT-approved drag radial, but after doing some reading I'm feeling a bit lost.

My main priority is a tire that will hook up better on the street, preferably without having to do some huge burn out to warm them up. It will likely see a few passes at the drag strip, but it'll mostly be street driving. Straight line grip is my main concern, but I also would like it to handle decent as well. It's only a sunny day car, so wet traction is pretty low on the list, but I also don't want to die if I get caught in the rain.

My top options so far are the Nittos, either the 555R or NT05R. Different sources have different feedback on them, but from what I gather the 555R lasts longer, but isn't quite as sticky. Has anyone on here used both to compare? Another idea was using some other type of R-comp that's more marketed for track/handling like a Toyo R888, but that I would expect to offer better straight line performance than what I have too.

Any input on what I need? I know what I want might not fully exist, but given my priorities I'm hoping to find something that works for me.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've owned both the NT05R and 555R, and what you described about both is pretty accurate. A tire that basically between these two is the Toyo Proxes TQ. Ive ran that as well
Old 01-11-2018, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I've owned both the NT05R and 555R, and what you described about both is pretty accurate. A tire that basically between these two is the Toyo Proxes TQ. Ive ran that as well
Of the 3, did you notice any of them that required less or more heat to grip? If I'm just cruising around town, I don't want to have to do a giant burnout to get them to hook.

Aside from that, any real pros or cons to any of them that stood out to you? Any major differences in tread life?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

No all 3 were similar in terms of needing heat to grip. Basically for what you're doing the 555R will probably last you around 12k or so. The Toyo TQ more like 9-10k, and the NT05R maybe 7-8k. Any drag radial will need some heat to do its magic. In cold weather they have even less grip than a street tire.The 555R will handle a tad better along with better wet traction but with less straight line grip. Then the TQ, and then the NT05R
Old 01-11-2018, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

No all 3 were similar in terms of needing heat to grip. Basically for what you're doing the 555R will probably last you around 12k or so. The Toyo TQ more like 9-10k, and the NT05R maybe 7-8k. The 555R will handle a tad better along with better wet traction but with less straight line grip. Then the TQ, and then the NT05R
Ok, thanks! What kind of whp are you putting down? The 555R seems like a good bet for me, and I've read that they grip well at around 400 whp, but I also don't want to regret not going with something grippier if they're not enough. Being M6 and 4.10 I think it likely puts down more instantaneous torque and might benefit from more grip?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im a M6 with 4.10's as well. I make around 450 rwhp n/a, and 600 rwhp on the 150 shot. To be honest I don't think you'd be very pleased with the 555R with your setup. I'd consider the other two options. I run the the NT05R now and even running n/a it's hard to get a good launch, and it will spin all of 1st gear. On the nitrous it spins all through 2nd as well lol.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

OK thanks, that's all good info - I'll likely lean NT05R then. Do the NT05R 315's run narrow like the NT555R?

Anyone else have any experiences with these tires or similar ones? I'm open to other brands / ideas, but I haven't found too many other good ones. I've seen some positive reviews on the Mickey Thompson street drag radials, but for every good one I see a relatively negative one. Most sources say they don't handle side to side as well as the Nitto's, and they don't last as long. Super Chevy (or some mag like that) also had an online article where they ran a 315 MT back to back with a 275 NT05R, and the NT05R had consistently better times (even with the smaller tire), so if the MT don't last as long and don't hook quite as well and cost more, then they don't seem like a great option.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes the 555R does run very narrow for its size, whereas the others don't. The MT drag radial is a bit more sticky than the NT05R, but will handle a little worse, and wear a little faster. I saw that magazine article that you mentioned and what they said is not really accurate IMO. You take 9 out of 10 people and they will tell you that the MT grips better...period. You also have the Hoosier which is even stickier yet, but wears very fast.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

NTO5R is not going to run nearly as small as the 555R. I have the 05R's on my factory wheels and they fit and look great. Just go with the 275's is my opinion.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Yes the 555R does run very narrow for its size, whereas the others don't. The MT drag radial is a bit more sticky than the NT05R, but will handle a little worse, and wear a little faster. I saw that magazine article that you mentioned and what they said is not really accurate IMO. You take 9 out of 10 people and they will tell you that the MT grips better...period. You also have the Hoosier which is even stickier yet, but wears very fast.
To me the test they did seemed pretty honest and accurate . . . they did multiple passes on both tires, tested different pressures in both, played around with launch, etc. And it was all on the same car and driver. And the driver used the MT's on a regular basis, so if anything it seemed stacked in the MT's favor. They even gave the MT extra runs after the NT05R to try and make up the difference, almost like they wanted the MT to win lol.

Not saying you're wrong, just my opinion that it seemed like a good clean victory for the Nitto. Also scouring message boards I've found a decent amount of people that could never get the MT's to hook properly or work the way they wanted. The NT05R on the other hand, is almost unanimously good feedback. You also have take a lot of the opinions with a grain of salt, because there aren't many people like yourself that have used multiple different tires to compare. Most people going to a stickier tire will think their tire is the "best" because it's stickier than what they've experienced before, but it doesn't mean it's the best of the best either.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
NTO5R is not going to run nearly as small as the 555R. I have the 05R's on my factory wheels and they fit and look great. Just go with the 275's is my opinion.
That's good info, thanks. If the NT05R runs truer to size then I'll stick with 275 if I go with them. I'm assuming you're pretty happy with the 05R's?
Old 01-12-2018, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by handyandy
To me the test they did seemed pretty honest and accurate . . . they did multiple passes on both tires, tested different pressures in both, played around with launch, etc. And it was all on the same car and driver. And the driver used the MT's on a regular basis, so if anything it seemed stacked in the MT's favor. They even gave the MT extra runs after the NT05R to try and make up the difference, almost like they wanted the MT to win lol.

Not saying you're wrong, just my opinion that it seemed like a good clean victory for the Nitto. Also scouring message boards I've found a decent amount of people that could never get the MT's to hook properly or work the way they wanted. The NT05R on the other hand, is almost unanimously good feedback. You also have take a lot of the opinions with a grain of salt, because there aren't many people like yourself that have used multiple different tires to compare. Most people going to a stickier tire will think their tire is the "best" because it's stickier than what they've experienced before, but it doesn't mean it's the best of the best either.
I'm not saying they were lying or anything, but I am saying that like 95% percent of the people on here and everywhere else will tell you the MT hooks better. Ive had several friends run both, and all have said the MT was definitely a bit better. Im just telling you what I've seen in the real world vs a magazine article
Old 01-12-2018, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Ok good to know! How did they find the MT for street use? Do they handle reasonably ok, or is the sidewall a little softer?
Old 01-12-2018, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok good to know! How did they find the MT for street use? Do they handle reasonably ok, or is the sidewall a little softer?
The sidewall tends to be a little softer, so it won't handle quite as well. It's not a huge difference between the two, but a difference none the less
Old 04-06-2018, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m running 295/55r15 MT et streets S/S, 430rwhp at 4500 rpms no burnout and they bog. When I flat foot shift it launches the car forward 1-2 and 2-3, I would highly recommend them
Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bjork28
I’m running 295/55r15 MT et streets S/S, 430rwhp at 4500 rpms no burnout and they bog. When I flat foot shift it launches the car forward 1-2 and 2-3, I would highly recommend them
Thanks for the info! How do you find they handle corners? Do they feel too soft? I'm talking just spirited street driving, not like track or auto-x.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Thanks for the info! How do you find they handle corners? Do they feel too soft? I'm talking just spirited street driving, not like track or auto-x.
Imo I think the Nt05R is what you're looking for. Very nice handling radial, decent mileage out of them and they should hook fine for ya.

The Mt Et ss definitely hook better than the Nt05R but do not get the mileage or handle as well as the Nt05R. The Mt Et do handle just fine, just not as good.

Skip the 555R
Old 04-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Teching In

i have tons of sidewall at 20 psi I can still take corners just as hard with the street tires I had on it, once I get m skinnies on that’ll change, just be a considerate driver and don’t get stupid in traffic.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 412 Likes on 299 Posts

I got MT S/S here and I HAVE NOT used Nt05s but I know people like them here. I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with either. I know people who ran the toyos on a stock SRT8 and they couldn't hook. The MTs hook up just fine and they killed my 10 bolt. If you need the mileage I'd probably swing for the Nto5s instead and feather it in first.

MT also had a more dedicated drag radial barely Dot legal. But if you are caught in a rainstorm you will have to drive slow. And they dont last long.

It's all a trade off. It's up to you.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Ive had friends who have had snow tires with very soft compound say they were very good for traction. They heat up real easily and can hook pretty hard if u come across the right ones. My advice is just search for used tires thatll fit your rims for cheap. snow tires go for nothing this time of year, then google the specs on that particular tire they are sellling to see what type of compound it is.

Goodluck

Quick Reply: Best Tires for Street Hook?