Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Nitto Tires and flat spotting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitto Tires and flat spotting?

I am committed to 275/40/17 up front and 315/35/17 rear on my Vette.
I was looking at Nitto NT05, and 555 G2. Anyone have flat spotting issues after sitting a few days.
My Vette doesnt get driven much due to travel. So, I am limited to time driving.
Advice, thoughts?
Old 10-25-2020, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

I run 275/40/17 front & 315/35/17 rear with my Nitto 555s'. Sitting a few weeks were very prone to flat spotting BUT a few miles/few minutes on the road made the flat spots go away so I never considered that aspect an annoyance.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

275/40/17 Nitto NT05 on all 4 corners here and I’ve found the same thing as the post above. Will definitely flat spot, but goes away after 5-10 miles depending on outside temp...faster in summer, not as fast in winter...
Old 10-26-2020, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Thnx everyone. That kinda sux as my Car sits allot.. Maybe if I park on thick carpet, or something to prevent as much as possible flat spots.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve40th
I am committed to 275/40/17 up front and 315/35/17 rear on my Vette.
I was looking at Nitto NT05, and 555 G2. Anyone have flat spotting issues after sitting a few days.
My Vette doesnt get driven much due to travel. So, I am limited to time driving.
Advice, thoughts?
​​​​​​
I have never seen radial tires flat spot. I have seen bias ply tires flat spot.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by t5munoz
​​​​​​
I have never seen radial tires flat spot. I have seen bias ply tires flat spot.
I have heard bad things about the 555G2s flat spotting. Are these tires not radials?
Old 10-26-2020, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Steel belted radials don't permanently flat spot during any period of normal storage (if we are talking many years/decades and under-inflation, etc., that could be a different story). But high performance tires with a soft/competition tread compound can certainly get temporary flat spotting which goes away after a short period of driving, as mentioned by several members above. This is not a big deal, but it can be mitigated by inflating the tires to max rated PSI (make sure to reset to correct pressure before driving) and parking on carpet during periods of extended storage - those two steps are my process for 4-6 month winter storage every year, and it works great.

On the other hand, flat spotting with bias ply tires is a much bigger issue (in terms of both severity and quickness of occurrence) and is what led to the old practice of putting cars on jack stands for storage (however this practice is not good for the suspension unless you properly support it). Such measures are not necessary with steel belted radials.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Steel belted radials don't permanently flat spot during any period of normal storage (if we are talking many years/decades and under-inflation, etc., that could be a different story). But high performance tires with a soft/competition tread compound can certainly get temporary flat spotting which goes away after a short period of driving, as mentioned by several members above. This is not a big deal, but it can be mitigated by inflating the tires to max rated PSI (make sure to reset to correct pressure before driving) and parking on carpet during periods of extended storage - those two steps are my process for 4-6 month winter storage every year, and it works great.

On the other hand, flat spotting with bias ply tires is a much bigger issue (in terms of both severity and quickness of occurrence) and is what led to the old practice of putting cars on jack stands for storage (however this practice is not good for the suspension unless you properly support it). Such measures are not necessary with steel belted radials.
Thanx. I used to always park on carpet, not thick carpet, just runners in your living room type carpets.
I couldn't believe I was hearing bad flat spotting from Nittos 555G, so I thought I would ask a larger crowd of people, as us Corvette guys can be a little Karenish..
I think I will go NT05s and put some thick carpet in the garage where it will sit..
Thnx again

Quick Reply: Nitto Tires and flat spotting?