Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

My wear results with MT ET Radials.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My wear results with MT ET Radials.

Well, my first set of MT ET street radials are done. So, i thougt id share how much use i got out of them, for those that always ask. First off, my car is my daily driver, no 2nd car to drive at all. I use these tires daily also. I bought them im March, and managed to put 7000 miles on them, and since the end of April, i was too lazy to air them back up, so they have been at 19psi, for about 2000 miles. Ive been to the track, and have done roughly 30 passes, all with a good amount of smoke before each run. Also, I would guess roughly 50 street races from a dig, also. My car runs mid 12's all motor, and 11.1 on the bottle. I treated these tires like **** for the most part. As of now, the tread is barley showing. And my 60foots have slowly gotten a little worse my last 2 times at the track. I usually do LOW 1.60 60foots, but the last couple times have been 1.7s. Just until the last couple weeks, the rain has shown no problems to the tires. Overall, I love them, my new set will be here Monday, this time, unless im racing, im keeping the tire pressure up, and going to see if i can get any more miles out of them. BTW, these are on my stock 16inch rims, 255/50/16. For how small they are, they hook unbelievable. I cant wait to get some 315s on some 15inch rims. Oh well, if anybody cares, thats my results.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Nice write up. Sounds like you really beat on the tires. Your driving style sound similar to mine.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:24 AM
TECH Regular

Default What kind and size 15 in rims?

Originally Posted by Kolk1
Well, my first set of MT ET street radials are done. So, i thougt id share how much use i got out of them, for those that always ask. First off, my car is my daily driver, no 2nd car to drive at all. I use these tires daily also. I bought them im March, and managed to put 7000 miles on them, and since the end of April, i was too lazy to air them back up, so they have been at 19psi, for about 2000 miles. Ive been to the track, and have done roughly 30 passes, all with a good amount of smoke before each run. Also, I would guess roughly 50 street races from a dig, also. My car runs mid 12's all motor, and 11.1 on the bottle. I treated these tires like **** for the most part. As of now, the tread is barley showing. And my 60foots have slowly gotten a little worse my last 2 times at the track. I usually do LOW 1.60 60foots, but the last couple times have been 1.7s. Just until the last couple weeks, the rain has shown no problems to the tires. Overall, I love them, my new set will be here Monday, this time, unless im racing, im keeping the tire pressure up, and going to see if i can get any more miles out of them. BTW, these are on my stock 16inch rims, 255/50/16. For how small they are, they hook unbelievable. I cant wait to get some 315s on some 15inch rims. Oh well, if anybody cares, thats my results.
What kink of rims are you going to buy. I want to get something 15 or 16 inch for drag radials also but i am not sure what to buy? Will 15 inch fit over our rear disk brake setup? I was thinking of some Centerline Convo Pro's they seem lighter than the Welds to me. What size should i get? I ran at the track with my street tires and could not get any traction with the T/C off. Ran a 8.8 with it on in the 1/8th with very sad 60ft times.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:59 AM
11 Second Club

I havent really been looking into what drag rims I want yet. I know im going with Black ZO6 rims, with MT street radials as my daily tires, and have some 15inch rims with drag lights on the front for the track.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

What pressure are you getting 1.6's?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Banned

15 inch CONVO's or BOGARTS will fit over an ls1 stock brake in the rear.

Other rims you have to put alittle work in.. grind the calipers, run spacer, longer stud bolt

I have 2 15x8.5 inch weld pro stars basically NEW with 10 runs on them and no street time. ET Streets 26x10.5x15 same amount of runs on it.

500 for the set
Old 06-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Banned

Wow.. I just realized I hijacked your thread. i am sorry bro, and if a mod' wants to move it.. I would understand.

Sorry bro.

Anyways.. GREAT WRITEUP!
Old 06-20-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

How would these tires last on a car with just headers etc., and not "beating" them at the track with all those passes and the street racing? I want to get black ZR1's and put the tires on those as my daily driver.

Should I stick with the 315 Nittos? Or get the 275 M/T?

Kolk, you wouldn't happen to have been at Byron Raceway on May 22nd would you?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

I bet with normall use, and keeping them mostly on normal tire pressure 30ish, they would last a good 10k miles. I have also done a couple of long smoke shows for no reason with them, and still got 7k. If i wanted to run them even more to being actually bald, i bet i could make it over 8k. I still have a little tread, but rain is really starting to suck. With tread, i could still accelerate at the pace, and faster than normal moving traffic. They hook better than my Eagle GSC did in the rain lol, but I would be more concerned about high speed rain use. I did do some 65mph highway cruises in the rain with no problems.

My track runs are normally at 19psi. Hints why they have been at 19psi for about 2 months lol.

Personally, guess what, i would go with the M/Ts. I have heard some people complain about having to be at just the right temp, and warming them up properly and having some consistancy problems with hooking. Then i heard that with the MTs, there pretty much always ready to go and very consistant. I personally have never used the Nittos, so i cant give my own opinion. The MTs also have soft side walls, so you can feel the rearend swaying a little more than usuall, but i also have no sway bars on the car, so it may be more obvious to me. My car handles like a 80s cadillac. Buy has great weight transfer lol

Edit: That wasnt me, I run at Gateway Raceway Near StLouis, but in IL.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I called MT and talked in depth with a tech by the name of Todd. I was telling Todd that after I ran my car 12 times the tires were balling up and looking pretty bad. I was told that a 5 to 8 second burnout is plenty good for these tires MT 255 50 16" DRs. I was doing 15 second burnouts and not always hooking, that's why I called them. I was told these tires like it @ 170 degrees. While I was watching the video tape I noticed during a 15 second burnout that the rubber was actually igniting as it was coming off the tire. I think I got them to hot and they won't hook as good. Next time out I'm doing 8 second burnouts.

Sometimes I would totally hook and other times I would spin and lose 2 tenths.

Quick Reply: My wear results with MT ET Radials.