Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Boyd Coddington's... worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boyd Coddington's... worth it?

Ya so i was just wondering if anyone has smoothie II's on their ws6, and if so are they worth it? because i really like how they look, but their like 350 a piece or something. and thats just seems like a lot, maybe im just being prude.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have them, pic in sig. I really love the way the wheels look, but to be honest I'm thinking of getting rid of them because they're so hard to keep clean. Don't buy them unless you're ready to devote some serious time to polishing them. And I found mine on here for like 1200 bucks rims/tires, so you can get them much cheaper if you just look around. Check ebay.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

ou should try zoop seal
Old 10-02-2005, 12:36 PM
VSJ
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Boyd Coddington Tuned wheels should be in next week and theyre fully polished too. How hard would it be to keep them clean if you only drive once a week on a sunny day?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

don't waste your time with zoop seal.........that **** only worked for a few months

I am thinking of getting rid of my Boyds for something easier to maintain
Old 10-02-2005, 01:04 PM

They look just like the TT2's.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:05 PM

And you can get them for <$250 ea.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for the input
ive still got a little while before i get some new wheels, but ive got more to think about now
Old 10-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Default wheels

When I bought my TA, it had Timeless 2's on it. They are nice wheels, but polished aluminum is hard to maintain. I use metal gloss and it helps prevent oxidizing so you may want to look into that.

Old 10-02-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tranzam01
don't waste your time with zoop seal.........that **** only worked for a few months

I am thinking of getting rid of my Boyds for something easier to maintain
Only 2 months, I am thinking of getting a kit for some other Alum parts. What problems did you have with the stuff? Would it just not hold up, peel, flake off ect. shed some light. Have a set of alum wheels just polished was going to use zoop, wonder if it might be just as good to apply a high quality clear coat, vs zoop. Just with the clear you loose a bit of the polished luster, cant say much for zoop have not used it.?????????
Old 10-02-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Ive heard the same thing about Boyds, they look good but are a PITA to maintain. Ive been contemplating pickin up a set of forged F22s in black, being they're clean lookin and about 1/2 the price of Fikse's.

And honestly, thats not too bad of a price for rims. Go price out HRE, Fikse or CCWs. When you start dealin with 3k+ JUST for rims - THATS - expensive.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:29 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Yeah that Zoop Seal stuff didn't work for me on my iForged Senekas.

I had the Boyd Coddington tuned wheels first. I never got them on the car though. As I prepped them for the Zoop Seal, I noticed the 4th wheel was bent pretty good. I was pissed and sent them back.

Many have had good experiences with Boyd, but not me. The Lug holes were not deburred, along with the valve stem holes. Their "fully polished" wheels were also not fully polished. Just the lip and the face, which was BS I felt for the amount of money.

The smoothies are a lower quality wheel. In terms of them being cast anyways. They can be found much cheaper than $350 a wheel. Trust me, call a few places and you'll find the price drops a good amount.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
[snip]Their "fully polished" wheels were also not fully polished. Just the lip and the face, which was BS I felt for the amount of money.

[snip]
Hmmm...sorry to hear about your troubles with the Boyds...my Boyd Timeless 2's *are* fully polished... :shrug:
Old 10-03-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DUSTYWS6
When I bought my TA, it had Timeless 2's on it. They are nice wheels, but polished aluminum is hard to maintain. I use metal gloss and it helps prevent oxidizing so you may want to look into that.

Were you NAKED when you took that picture??
Old 10-03-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOLL!! i just noticed that ^
Old 10-03-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Anything that is polished is a pain to keep up. I started using magic mix to polish my wheels and the shine would last a lot longer.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Had my Boyd Magneatos for about a year now, I haven't had that much trouble keeping them lookin good. I daily drive the car and I polish them maybe once a month at the most. Other wise I just wash them w/ soap and dry. The luster has stayed good and when I got a tiny bit of curb rash on one all I had to do was lightly sand and then repolish the spot, try that w/ a painted or clear coated wheel.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:52 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Shane
Hmmm...sorry to hear about your troubles with the Boyds...my Boyd Timeless 2's *are* fully polished... :shrug:
That's what I had wanted. I called and complained and they told me that, a lot of wheels are finished liked that, it was was basically standard.

Not acceptable to me, I'm glad u like yours. I would like to believe that the set I recieved, was a fluke. Easily the worst set of new wheels I have ever seen. I've seen pep boys wheels finished better than what came to my door step.

Couldn't be happier with my iForged wheels. They were twice the money though.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

boyd is way overpriced for his quality, reguardless just as mentioned if you search you can find them cheaper. check out alot of sporttruck style forums and websites as they have the best deals.

$350 a wheel isn't bad at all for polished if it's 18" or larger but it isn't a deal either. you can spend alot more again just as noted above. my 19's were $650 a rim through boze alloy.

as far as upkeep it was asked about driving once a week. to be honest it's all about upkeep in general. if you drive it and park it til the next week they will still get dirty and even more so then if you were to drive them everyday and clean them. the object is to keep them clean. i use to spend 3-4 hours a wheel, more so when detailing my billet wheels for indoor shows. i still do this for indoor shows but now i use the mothers power ball for touchups every few weeks. beyond that i keep them clean and dry. i'll drive the car saturday night and at least wash the wheels sunday, especially if i know the car is going to sit.

no problems at all. here is a picture of my old 18's, this was taken after having them for over a year so upkeep is key. good as chrome...

http://gmhightechperformance.com/fea...p_z28_04_z.jpg
Old 10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

I don't have much trouble keeping mine cleaned. Give them a good polish every couple months and just keep them washed in between, they'll look great for a while.

Quick Reply: Boyd Coddington's... worth it?