Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

17x11's and 315!! Do i need to worry bout..

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17x11's and 315!! Do i need to worry bout..

Aight got my wheels in. Santa came a lil early

Now i've heard a lot of things the wheels are 17x11 with 315's +50mm offset, out back and i need to know what i need to do to get them to fit!! Stock hieght

I didnt jack the car up by the axle and put the tires on and they hit the bump stop.

Now with the suspension loaded (jacked up by the axle) it clears the bump stop and the fender well by the lest distance is bout an inch away maybe less... Is this ok or will it still hit the bump stop when i go over bumps?

Now i've also heard it you do jack it up by the axle it will clear the bump stop and there will be no problem.

So will it be ok if i jack them up by the axle then put them on a drop it back down or do i need to go ahead and shave the bump stop and posible roll the fenders..

What have some of you guys had to do?

Also what all do i need to roll the fenders and grind down the bump stops.. i have a die grinder will that work? If so what kind of cutting wheels do i need or w/e?

Last edited by 97BBlackZ; 12-19-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

my wheels are fine, i can jack up the car by the body
Old 12-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cop Car
my wheels are fine, i can jack up the car by the body
I did that 1st then the tire touched the bump stop onces it was flat against the hub.. were your not touching? Also are they the same offset?
Old 12-19-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

My first set of 17x11's in back rubbed all the time. The second set really never did and I did nothing. No hammering, grinding etc....Each car is different so you'll need to put them on and drive and see if they are rubbing anywhere...Also are you lowered? I'm on a prokit 1.5" lowering..
Old 12-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silver02Z
My first set of 17x11's in back rubbed all the time. The second set really never did and I did nothing. No hammering, grinding etc....Each car is different so you'll need to put them on and drive and see if they are rubbing anywhere...Also are you lowered? I'm on a prokit 1.5" lowering..
Naw man i'm not lowered at all. So it will be ok AS LONG AS i jack the car up by the axle all the time?? I'm just worried bout it traveling to far when i go over a bump on the street and hitting the bump stop/metal bracket and messing the wheel(s) up.

How much clearance do you have between your bump stop and the inner rim??

Last edited by 97BBlackZ; 12-19-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

same here i can jack it up anywhere and its fine
Old 12-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
same here i can jack it up anywhere and its fine
Is your car lowered by chance?? Also how many of yalls cars are lowered?? Is there anyone on stock height?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I missed the part about jacking up the car, Sorry!...If I jacked the car up with the body the one wheel would get caught on the bumpstop but just barely. I never used an adjustable PHR but that would definately help!
Hopefully some stock ride height guys will respond...
Old 12-19-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the 17X11 Afs Zr1's and they hit the bumpstops on a conventional lift but never touch anywhere no matter how hard I drive it. My 02 has the bilstein susp. which is slighty lower than stock. Also have an adj PH bar.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

im not to sure about what my offest is, i know they arent AFS wheels, they are the correct ZR1 deep lug style. so they have that same offest
Old 12-19-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Every car is different, but I'll tell you what my experiences were with the 50mm offset ZR1's.

Stock height:
A little rubbing on the inner fender wells. Hammered those in.
When jacking up from the frame, the rims hung on the bump stop mounts. For peace of mind, I trimmed the plates where the bump stops mount so that they are only as wide as needed to hold the bump stops in place. They clear just fine now. I did NOT grind the bump stops themselves.

Lowered (Hotchkis):
More fender massaging required.
Rolled the fender lip because it was gashing the outsides of the tires.
Used my existing adjustable panhard bar to get everything centered.

-Mike
Old 12-19-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

S E A R C H . . .
Old 12-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
S E A R C H . . .

I did... none of them directly answered my issue.. almost all the threads i found their cars have been lower or just didn't say at all.

I put the wheels on. I had to put the on with the suspension loaded and they only rub in a very small patch on each side during hard cornering.

So i plan on hammers those small patchs and shaving the bump stops just a little.

Also what did yall use to shave them?? I have a die grinder if that will work but what kinda attachment would i need.

I'll also be posting picture in another thread soon
Old 12-20-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

YOu will be fine jacking the car up by the axle. I did it for a couple of years without any problem

ok once the suspension is loaded the wheel will not hit the bumpstop. I went without grinding my bumpstops for a while but when the car was put on the lift it would hit the wheel and dig into the tire. It really doesn't take much grinding really so just do it and get it over with. As for the fenders- Mine are rolled since I lowered the car I didn't want to tear up my tires. Before the car was lowered I didn't really have many problems. Also you will need to do the BFH mod bt drive around and then pull the wheel off.. You will see where you need to beat the inner fender. There is a ton of info here if you search
Old 12-20-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I chopped my bumpstops off just to make it easier to lift the car by the body on a conventional lift.

Here's a before and after.

Your car will not hit the bumpstop at all or anything like that just from driving, unless you get the car airborne....in that case you competely unloaded the suspension and it will land up having the same effect as lifting the car by the body with a conventional lift, in other words you'll have a little spark show going on before the wheel will stop spinning, but really, at that moment in time...you have bigger problems to concern yourself with since you're flying through the air and don't really have control of your car.

The bumpstops lose their effectiveness with 315's anyways since the wheel is much closer to the inner fender well and therefore will hit the inner fender well before the bumpstop has a chance to do it's job, which is engaging the axle and therefore preventing it to move too close to the body where it would inflict damage on the inner fender well.

Just keep that in mind when you drive at all times. I hope you don't live in San Francisco, chances of you getting airborne are a tad higher there than where I live...the flat chested state of Florida.

Manny
Old 12-20-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I never shaved mine and don't have any problems other than they hang on the bump stop when jacked by the body. Make sure that your rear end is even on both sides. Best thing you can do is get behind the car and eye ball the tires on both sides and notice if one sticks out further than the other. If so get a adjustable panhard bar. I'm lowered in the back an inch and I have the APB. I used mine to straighten up the rear.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

aight thanks guys. I put the tires/wheels on there and it came out like yall said. They rub on a small 1 inch spot on both sides during cornering and i'll fix that tomorrow. Other then that i might as well go ahead and shave the bump stops a little bit.
Thanks,
-Brian
Old 12-20-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on the brand of tire, you will get more or less rubbing.

I have Yokohama AVS Sports, and as you can see by the picture, I had quite a bit of rubbing going on.

After you are done hammering the hell out of it, get yourself a can of rubberized compound/undercoating and spray it on the area you beat with the hammer, after it's dry, you'll never know you hammered that area.

Manny
Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

sweet thanks manny. The pictures help. I'm hoping to do this tomorrow.