Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

15X15 Mickey Thompson on a 2000 SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeBen
So is there any wheel/tire combo that'll keep me firmly planted in a drag race as well as on the freeway/on/offramps at high speed and still be better than stock for around town? I mainly want good performance on the freeway, including on and off ramps and taking a somewhat curvy freeway road at 140+, but I really like dragracing too. It seems there should be some tire/wheel combo that'll keep me on the ground no matter what I'm doing (within the laws of physics of course). Maybe I'm looking for something like nascar uses, but will those be good off the line? I saw some nascar rims on ebay. Should I get them? Man, finding the right tires and wheels is alot harder than I thought it would be.
Please sell your car and buy a honda civic before you hurt yourself/someone else. I can tell you're definitely not ready to own any sort of vehicle with power. 15x15 rims on a stock car? Tires that perform at the strip and take corners well? Taking on/off ramps at 140mph+? Dude. You're a complete moron.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slocar mopar
Please sell your car and buy a honda civic before you hurt yourself/someone else. I can tell you're definitely not ready to own any sort of vehicle with power. 15x15 rims on a stock car? Tires that perform at the strip and take corners well? Taking on/off ramps at 140mph+? Dude. You're a complete moron.
What I wrote was "I mainly want good performance on the freeway, including on and off ramps and taking a somewhat curvy freeway road at 140+". How did you get "Taking on/off ramps at 140mph+" from that? The sentence structure clearly separates "good performance on the freeway, including on and off ramps" from "taking a somewhat curvy freeway road at 140+". So where do you get off calling me a complete moron when you can't even read English properly? There are many extremely intelligent people in this country, some of them geniuses, who know nothing about tire performance. However, not knowing how to interpret a normal English sentence is much more likely a trait of a complete moron than being unknowledgeable about tire performance. Oh and just fyi, I'm not going to sell my car and I hate civics. I'm going to do 140+ on the freeway as much as I please, like it or not.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm going to do 140+ on the freeway as much as I please, like it or not.
Hopefully you'll just end up in jail and not kill some innocent person.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS69TA
Hopefully you'll just end up in jail and not kill some innocent person.
I didn't come on here to bicker about things or be spiteful or insulting. I came on here to learn about tire performance and other things. Please don't let other peoples lack of ability to handle high speeds on a freeway cloud your judgement of me. I can handle it no problem. Just because you or other people can't do 140 safely doesn't mean I can't.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, and one more thing. I hate to have to contradict you, but I've taken many intelligence tests and mental aptitude tests and I always end up very considerably above average, (last one was the asvab and I got 98 out of 99, the test doesn't go to 100, just 99) so for the record, I am not a complete moron. I'm not trying to brag here, just setting things straight so nobody misunderstands.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Teching In

What I wrote was "I mainly want good performance on the freeway, including on and off ramps and taking a somewhat curvy freeway road at 140+". How did you get "Taking on/off ramps at 140mph+" from that? The sentence structure clearly separates "good performance on the freeway, including on and off ramps" from "taking a somewhat curvy freeway road at 140+". So where do you get off calling me a complete moron when you can't even read English properly? There are many extremely intelligent people in this country, some of them geniuses, who know nothing about tire performance. However, not knowing how to interpret a normal English sentence is much more likely a trait of a complete moron than being unknowledgeable about tire performance. Oh and just fyi, I'm not going to sell my car and I hate civics. I'm going to do 140+ on the freeway as much as I please, like it or not.
Oh, please excuse me..there is such a huge difference in "taking on/off ramps at 140mph+" and "going 140mph+ down curvy highways." The latter is much more safe and only a true intellectual would do such a thing. Go right ahead and put 15x15 slicks on the back of your stock car and drive up and down the highway going 140mph+.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Teching In

I didn't come on here to bicker about things or be spiteful or insulting. I came on here to learn about tire performance and other things. Please don't let other peoples lack of ability to handle high speeds on a freeway cloud your judgement of me. I can handle it no problem. Just because you or other people can't do 140 safely doesn't mean I can't.
Regardless of what you think..your car cannot go 140mph safely. Especially with other traffic on the road. You have a stock suspension LT1 f-body on bald *** 225s. It's only a matter of time until you have a blow out and lose control of your car and die.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Oh, and one more thing. I hate to have to contradict you, but I've taken many intelligence tests and mental aptitude tests and I always end up very considerably above average, (last one was the asvab and I got 98 out of 99, the test doesn't go to 100, just 99) so for the record, I am not a complete moron. I'm not trying to brag here, just setting things straight so nobody misunderstands.
All of that aside...it's very clear to me that you have zero common sense.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Regardless of what you think..your car cannot go 140mph safely. Especially with other traffic on the road. You have a stock suspension LT1 f-body on bald *** 225s. It's only a matter of time until you have a blow out and lose control of your car and die.
Ok, we're really having a misunderstanding here. Like I said, I am not a complete moron. If you understood this then maybe you would realize that I decided weeks ago that I'm not going to try 140 again untill I get new tires.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

All of that aside...it's very clear to me that you have zero common sense.
Actually, common sense is required to get any kind of a high score on the asvab. It's one of the most used placement tests in the world. Besides, this is not a thread for discussing my intelligence, so how about you just stop insulting me and get back to the subject at hand.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, please excuse me..there is such a huge difference in "taking on/off ramps at 140mph+" and "going 140mph+ down curvy highways." The latter is much more safe and only a true intellectual would do such a thing. Go right ahead and put 15x15 slicks on the back of your stock car and drive up and down the highway going 140mph+.
Actually on/offramps often have cloverleafs and other sharp turns which cannot be found on the freeway itself. I'm surprised you hadn't noticed this. And I already said a while back that the 15x15 idea is out the window. Also, I was never even considering slicks and I'm also doing hp mods. Sheesh you should try reading the thread before you make fun of me for something I was never planning on doing.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

this thread is incredible...
Old 02-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hondo
Agreed. I hope we will soon be able to get back to a mutually respectful discussion on the topic of wheels and tires.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hondo
Incredibly stupid. My final question is how old are you, HeBen?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Teching In

You my friend have some serious issues to work out. Get a set of Eagle F1 GS-D3 and call it a day. All your mods are barely going to make a difference in traction, at least I don’t think, and if it does get some 9.5" wheels to even it out. My 0.02 cents. Slocar mopar I don’t think his age is the issue here, this guy was one of those people that asks for your opinion and then tries to argue that what he was originally doing is right. You said you are new to cars or whatever so then take the advice given by those who know more. You make yourself look stupid when you try to prove a point without having much knowledge about a subject.

Last edited by indoes; 02-22-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Incredibly stupid. My final question is how old are you, HeBen?
Why is it that you seem to be so bent on insulting me? Is this how you get your kicks? Can't we just discuss cars? I never tried to present myself as being knowledgable about cars. I'm just trying to learn. Knowing nothing about cars doesn't make me stupid, it just means I haven't learned it yet. If you try to remember back real far I'm sure you can remember a time when you didn't know anything about tire performance either. My age is irrelevant to this thread, but since you asked I'm 24. I may be ignorant, but I'm not stupid. There's a big difference.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Banned

aside from the flame pit...

i understand that you want 15x15 slicks on your car... but just dont do it... ALWAYS research alot before buying ANY kind of mod, and you will save alot of money/time doing so. you have a stock LT1 t/a (no offense), not a tubbed drag car... stick with street wheels man, there are alot of very nice wheels that have a considerable amount of width...

you might be interested in:

american racing TT2's- very common, you can get them in 17x11
replica ZR1's- also come in 17x11
replica zo6's- come in 18x10.5

the wheels above can be had considerably cheap. if money is not an issue, look at wheels by CCW, boyd coddington, Fikse, and HRE... they offer custom wheels made to your specs and can be made in tons of different sizes, widths, offsets and etc... just look around.

on a 17x11 rim, you can fit a 315/35/17 drag radial that will give you WAY more than enough traction for your setup. also, dont spring and buy a set of skinny/drag wheel setup for your car right away, tires for these setups can be very expensive, and would give you no more traction advantage than a 315DR setup with your kind of power. i would stick with a basic street setup for now, untill you REALLY need the drag wheels

basically, just look around... research, look at as many pictures as possible, and find which wheels YOU like... and dont always spring for the most hardcore thing you can find (15x15 drag wheel).

as for handling, just about any aftermarket wheel you would want runs a 9.5" wide wheel for the front, which with a nice suspension setup, should be enough for street driving... as for doing 140+ on the freeway, its your car, your decission... im not going to say anything about that... you make your own decissions. anyway, i hope this helped
Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Thankyou for your input. They're not exactly bald, but they are worn enough to replace. And wouldn't a 275/60/15 be too small in radius for my stock rims whereas a 275/60/16 would fit just fine? Not sure about that but I think that's the case. The hell why I would even consider putting 15x15s on my stock car was already explained in previous posts, but it is because the stock wheels/tires were not nearly enough traction even when they did have plenty of tread and that's why they've been replaced who knows how many times and are now needing to be replaced again. Furthermore, it's hard for to me to see how adding one or two inches when I've already got like 9 would make the kind of difference I'm looking for, especially since I'm doing hp mods very soon. You really think it'd slow me down to a mid 15? I've heard that the car can do high 13's stock and was told by a guy at a race shop that putting a 10in rim with 11in tread could shave as much as a full second of my 1/4 et, so I don't see how adding another 4 inches of tire/wheel weight, plus more traction, would add about 2-3 sec. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just not quite convinced that you're right, especially since I'm planning on doing at least cai and full exhoust and tuning with tunercat before I'd even think about taking it to the track. with all those mods do you still think 275/60 is all the traction I could possibly need?
In a word, yes.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Teching In

"If you try to remember back real far I'm sure you can remember a time when you didn't know anything about tire performance either" there was a time like that and guess what? I used that handy button on the top of the page, 3rd one from the top right called search, and searched for information.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

what good is the search button without people making threads to read about? such as this... let this thread serve noobs across the country SEARCHING for 15x15 wheel info.

Quick Reply: 15X15 Mickey Thompson on a 2000 SS