Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

15X15 Mickey Thompson on a 2000 SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15X15 Mickey Thompson on a 2000 SS

Hey whats up guys i want to put fat slicks on my ride, 15x15 will they fit. Or do i need to do something to make them fit.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have replace the entire back half and fabricate everything.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Well i think im gonna go with 15X10 with micket thompson indy profile ss tires
thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Question me too!

I want to go 15x15 too! But I don't want to tub it out. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking that if I raise the rear and get antisway bars I should be able to keep the fenders from coming down on the wheels. Anyone know if this would work or not? I know some say it won't work but you never know untill you try.

Last edited by HeBen; 02-21-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

15x15 requires tubbing the car. period
Old 02-21-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Unless you want them to stick outside the fender about 5".
Old 02-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nsty98LS1
15x15 requires tubbing the car. period
Well, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a 3rd gen camaro with this done before. I don't know how they did it. I didn't get out a measuring tape but they sure looked like 15x15 wheels to me. They extended about 4 inches past the fenders which looked very stock. It had pretty low profile tires. It appeared to be a daily driver with stock wells. Is there another explanation for what I saw? And what exactly would make this impossible? Just looking at my wheels and wells I can see that if the wheel and tire extended out past the fender then there would be about three inches between the tread of the tire and the edge of the fender. If I raised the rear, including the bump stop, on ajustable coilovers another 3 inches that'd give me 6 inches before contact would be made, and if I stiffened the shocks and made sure the bump stop was keeping the body properly off the tire then I see no way for the setup to go bad. Correct me if I'm wrong, and please explain why. I'd also like to know if I'm right and if anyone has any knowledge or experiance on how to accomplish this. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS69TA
Unless you want them to stick outside the fender about 5".
Yes! That's exactly what I want! Mostly 'cause I can't afford tubbing it but also because I think it looks really mean. Do you know how this is done? I totally agree with you about the look of the ws6 too, hehe. Very agressive look there. I love it.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Im having the same issue, I wish I could make mine look like this one, itll take a lot of work but..
If somebody can tell me exactly what wheel size and tire I need for a 2001 z28 to look like this other one at http://www.myls1.com
Attached Thumbnails 15X15 Mickey Thompson on a 2000 SS-camaro.jpg   15X15 Mickey Thompson on a 2000 SS-camaro2.jpg  

Last edited by Christian8A; 06-09-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

I'm wanting to know what all would have to be relocated or replaced to fully tub the rear? I know that you'd have to get a narrowed rear-end and weld in new wheel tubs but wasn't for sure as far as suspension wise or anything else that would have to be done?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not completely sure but I think tubbing a car out usually entails getting a new gas tank and of course all the suspension needs to be relocated. It's like z28/2002 said, you'll baisically have to replace the whole back half of your car and fabricate everything. So, my question is, can this be avoided? I know it's generally not done but there must be some way to get away with it and I intend to find out how.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HeBen
I'm not completely sure but I think tubbing a car out usually entails getting a new gas tank and of course all the suspension needs to be relocated. It's like z28/2002 said, you'll baisically have to replace the whole back half of your car and fabricate everything. So, my question is, can this be avoided? I know it's generally not done but there must be some way to get away with it and I intend to find out how.
It can be avoided if you're going to leave the tires to stick out like you said above but if you want the pro-street tucked-in look for the car then tubbing is not avoidable. It has to be done, well, with a 15x15. Just depends on how you want it.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69chevy
It can be avoided if you're going to leave the tires to stick out like you said above... Just depends on how you want it.
YESSS! THANKYOU! I've been waiting for someone to tell me this for way too long! The other half of the question is, Do I need to mod the suspension or anything to keep the tires from rubbing the fenders on turns n stuff? if so then how so?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Are you really wanting to go with a 15X15 on a stock car? You can easily stuff an 11" rim under the rear but 15's? I can honestly say that I've never seen it done. They would weigh a ton and actually hurt you more than they would help on a stocker.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, i'm not a suspension guru so I can't help you on that but I have one question for you. Why would you want a 15x15 to stick outside of the fender? My personal preference is to have them nice and tucked in and if I can't get a 15x15 to fit, then i go smaller. What i'm trying to say is that that would look really really awkward (I guess i'm trying to say ugly).

Also, how does a tire that sticks out 4 inches past the fender appear to be "stock"? You must be kidding, right?

Last edited by 69chevy; 02-22-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Unless your car is heavily modded (all out drag racer), then 15x15 is way too much tire for your application. MountainMotor is right in that it will definetely hurt you more than it will help (if at all). I can actually visualize how your car would look though. Around here, there are a crap load of the older body style chevy pick-ups (heartbeats) that guys slap on 15x10 wheels on and the tires stick out past the fenders about 2-3 inches. If that's the look you're going for, then go for it. To me, it looks rediculous, but to each his own...
Old 02-22-2006, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Christian8A
Im having the same issue, I wish I could make mine look like this one www.justchris.com/camaro.jpg , itll take a lot of work but..
If somebody can tell me exactly what wheel size and tire I need for a 2001 z28 to look like this other one www.justchris.com/camaro2.jpg
If I had to guess that is a 15x10 with a 7.5" backspacing. You can fit this size wheel on a stock car easy. No suspension mods needed, just a little finessing of the inner fender.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MountainMotor
Are you really wanting to go with a 15X15 on a stock car? You can easily stuff an 11" rim under the rear but 15's? I can honestly say that I've never seen it done. They would weigh a ton and actually hurt you more than they would help on a stocker.
How would it hurt? Just the hp sapping weight of the wheel? Right now I have way more hp than I can use because I don't have enough traction. There's about 9 inches of tread stock and I loose traction pretty much anytime I step on it hard, even if I'm going into 5th at like 130. I really want to stick to the ground so I can use all my hp especially since I'm planning on intake, exhaust, and some other hp mods very soon. I don't think adding an inch or 2 or 3 is gonna cut it and I'M SICK OF SLIDING ALL OVER THE PLACE! What good is hp if you can't use it? It seems like 15 wides would be the simplest way of solving this problem, especially since I plan on modding for more power soon. Am I wrong? I know I could also get more traction from performance suspension parts but those are expensive and add up quick and I'm skeptical of how much traction they'd really add. Btw thanks for your imput, it's helpful.
-Ben
Old 02-22-2006, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69chevy
Well, i'm not a suspension guru so I can't help you on that but I have one question for you. Why would you want a 15x15 to stick outside of the fender? My personal preference is to have them nice and tucked in and if I can't get a 15x15 to fit, then i go smaller. What i'm trying to say is that that would look really really awkward (I guess i'm trying to say ugly).

Also, how does a tire that sticks out 4 inches past the fender appear to be "stock"? You must be kidding, right?
I know most people seem to prefer the "pro-street" look nice and tucked in but my thinking is why hide such big beautiful wheels and tires? I think the big wheels/tires look awesome and they're just too hidden when they're all tucked in like that. I'd like to show them off. I think it looks awesome, just my personal preferance though. Also, like I said, the main reason is that I can't afford to tub it out.

Also, I meant that the fenders looked stock, not the wheels, hehe. Sorry if that sentance structure was a little ambiguous. Thanks again for the input and info.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Krab
Unless your car is heavily modded (all out drag racer), then 15x15 is way too much tire for your application. MountainMotor is right in that it will definetely hurt you more than it will help (if at all). I can actually visualize how your car would look though. Around here, there are a crap load of the older body style chevy pick-ups (heartbeats) that guys slap on 15x10 wheels on and the tires stick out past the fenders about 2-3 inches. If that's the look you're going for, then go for it. To me, it looks rediculous, but to each his own...
Thanks for the input. My thinking is that if I want to be an all out drag racer then I have to start somewhere. Why not the wheels and tires? And how can you have too much tire? How will it hurt more than help? I know it will sap some hp but I have more than I can use right now anyways. I know I have to up it to at least 10 in wide which would give me a couple more inches and fit easily inside my wells, but why stop there? My thought is that if I don't need all 15in right now then I will later when I mod for hp. I'm just REEEEEALLY SICK of sliding out all over the place cuz I don't have enough traction. Yes it looks rediculous, but I need rediculously large tires to go with my rediculously powerful engine and I can't afford to well it out, so that's where I'm at right now. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: 15X15 Mickey Thompson on a 2000 SS