Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

need serious tire info? drag/circuit/street!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need serious tire info? drag/circuit/street!

I need info on tires and I know I am asking for the impossible, but there has to be some kind of compromise.

My 2001 z28 m6 makes around 380 rwtq and that number will continue to rise!

Here are the three scenarios that I hope to find one kind of tire that will work!

My car is my daily driver in spring, summer and fall so I don’t need an all season tire.
I race SCCA solo circuit timed races
I street race
And I hit the drag track too.

I do have suspensions mods that I change according to either drag or circuit

So I’m looking for a tire that can give me about 12,000+ miles as daily driver, grips and launches on the street well while, being able to corner fast on circuit, and gets sticky when heated up at the drag track.

I know that in order to grip at the drag track the best tire footprint goes front to back and for circuit the tire footprint goes side to side, which both work great for their purpose, but they defeat the purpose the other way. Yes I could read all the reviews posted on tirerack and other sites but I’m looking for some serious knowledge on tires so I can make the best choice. I look at it this way, your car is only as good as your tires, and that’s where it all starts, at the ground!

I plan on hitting the drag track about 4x this season and I will run the circuit tracks about 6x and who knows how many street races there will be, but it’s usually a lot. Also I don’t feel that I need the most sticky drag tire, just a great one because I am still running the stock rearend and I don’t want to nuke it right now, so I am not looking for the most amazing 60’ times, I am just tired of spinning my tires from first through third gear.

I don’t think any of the street drags (nitto, bfg or MTs) would work well on circuit unless anyone has tried it?
I checked out the new potenza track racing tires (cant remember the model number) they are great tire but they don’t com in my size. I need 275/40 17.

Anyone know of serious tire info and as anyone accomplished what I am trying too do!

Thanks guys!
Old 02-14-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone know anything about tires?
also has anyone tried the Nitto 555RII extreme, its a street legal road racing tire, but has the same tread pattern as the street drag?

I found out the nitto 555rII is exactly the same as the street drag nitto, the only difference is that it has a stiffer sidewall, for autocross racing!

Last edited by ibanez7; 02-14-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Launching!

ttt. coz i'm interisted to know the answers of ppl
Old 02-14-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Commando
ttt. coz i'm interisted to know the answers of ppl

I have found more info on corvette forums regarding tires and different applications. From what I have gathered the Z06 guys love the nitto 555r2 for street and autocross use. they work well at the drag strip but since the sidewalls are stiff they dont grip quite as well as nitto 555r.

and of course there are guys complaining the tires dont work well in cold weather or rain. Well they are not a all season street tire.

Many did say they griped better in rain then a street radial did!
Old 02-14-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I run the RII's and they take a few miles to warm up in the cold and they are surprisingly good in the rain and didn't hydroplane as much as I thought they would.
they are the funnest (is funnest even a real word?) tires to have on the car for all sorts of driving. I run the 275/40/17 size on all 4 corners.
here is a video from an auto-x event last year,
http://www.transamws6.com/video/manny-acu4.wmv
Old 02-15-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zepher
I run the RII's and they take a few miles to warm up in the cold and they are surprisingly good in the rain and didn't hydroplane as much as I thought they would.
they are the funnest (is funnest even a real word?) tires to have on the car for all sorts of driving. I run the 275/40/17 size on all 4 corners.
here is a video from an auto-x event last year,
http://www.transamws6.com/video/manny-acu4.wmv

excellent thanks for th reply. How many miles do you have on them?!
Old 02-15-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have about 12000 miles on them(5 auto-x events and the rest street/highway miles) and there are probably about 3-5000 miles left if I take it easy on them.
it's so hard to corner slow when you have these very grippy tires on the car.

here are what they look like at teh moment,

Last edited by Zepher; 02-15-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

excellent thanks for the pics too.

I am up in the air between those or these
Falken Azenis RT-615 which have a longer tread life but they might not be as sticky because of that!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Azenis are great tires, a lot of people auto-x with them. for my size, they are $30 cheaper/tire @ $146, vs $177 for my RII's last time I checked a few months ago.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

once again thank you for the info!!!

Its hard to find a good all around tire for mutiple applications, since tires are made for that. plus it seems as most people with f-bodys only car about makeing their straightline times fast!!