Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

removing baked on funk on inside of rims ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006 | 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default removing baked on funk on inside of rims ?

I have some yellowish funk on the inside of my expensive rims the only thing I think it could be is wheel wieght glue.

? can I use an abrasive cleaner like comet to clean this funk off?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2006 | 10:05 PM
Launching!

If it indeed is glue/sticky stuff from a wheel weight then try "goof off" or "goo gone." Don't let the stuff sit on the rim too long as it may damage the wheel surface. Try to use either product with a rag to help remove the sticky stuff.

I don't think I'd try Comet on a wheel, especially a nice one. The Comet will scratch the surface pretty quickly. I'd stay with the over the counter wheel cleaners (I like Meguiars A2Z). It may take some time and elbow grease, but you won't damage the rim surface.
Old 10-22-2006 | 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Default Best Wheel Cleaner

Try Armoral Wheel Cleaner. It May Take 3 Or 4 Treatments With High Pressue Car Wash But I Have Found The Stuff Really Does Work.
Old 10-22-2006 | 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Ive used a brillow pad like youd use to clean a frying pan.. Worked pretty well with some water , only used it on the inside of rim to remove dirt/brake dust..
Old 10-22-2006 | 05:45 PM
11 Second Club
20 Year Member

I use simple green and a stiff brissled brush on my wheels. It takes a little more time and work but I know they won't get scratched or stained.
Old 10-24-2006 | 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default rims

I tested a small section on the inside back part of rim / a dishwashing soap the rough side & it rubbed off the clear coat.

next I'll try small part / peanut butter then goof off.

I've tryed armor all a few years back and it stripped small spots of clear off never again.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2006 | 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

On the inside I use dawn and a brush the outside I use my car wash and just try and wash em once a week.

Trending Topics

Old 02-06-2007 | 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default a2z

Originally Posted by Rob Hood
If it indeed is glue/sticky stuff from a wheel weight then try "goof off" or "goo gone." Don't let the stuff sit on the rim too long as it may damage the wheel surface. Try to use either product with a rag to help remove the sticky stuff.

I don't think I'd try Comet on a wheel, especially a nice one. The Comet will scratch the surface pretty quickly. I'd stay with the over the counter wheel cleaners (I like Meguiars A2Z). It may take some time and elbow grease, but you won't damage the rim surface.
I've been looking around for this cleaner you suggest at discount auto & wallmart where is this a2z cleaner available?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2007 | 09:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I've been looking around for this cleaner you suggest at discount auto & wallmart where is this a2z cleaner available?

Thanks
Hmm...I wonder if Meguiars relabled their wheel cleaner. Just checked my stash in the garage and it's called "Hot Wheels" cleaner now. Same color bottle (purpleish). Sorry for the confusion!
Old 02-06-2007 | 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep. I've got the Meguiar's "Hot Wheels" cleaner and it works great for brake dust.
Old 02-06-2007 | 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Hot Wheels is Meguiars. The Eagle One is now in a silver bottle and called All Wheel and tire cleaner. It USED to be called A to Z wheel cleaner and in an orange bottle. If you have crud that is stuck on good you can use the wheel cleaner and a fine steel wool to get it off. I've used this on the polished cast exhaust tip on my truck to get off the baked on tar and gunk that has gotten stuck to it. It actually helps polish it. Then I go over it with some "Never Dull" to polish it.
Old 05-20-2008 | 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default finally got so time to clean

Originally Posted by GETGONE
Hot Wheels is Meguiars. The Eagle One is now in a silver bottle and called All Wheel and tire cleaner. It USED to be called A to Z wheel cleaner and in an orange bottle. If you have crud that is stuck on good you can use the wheel cleaner and a fine steel wool to get it off. I've used this on the polished cast exhaust tip on my truck to get off the baked on tar and gunk that has gotten stuck to it. It actually helps polish it. Then I go over it with some "Never Dull" to polish it.
I finally got so time to clean that funk on the rims.

Goof off did'nt get the baked on funk off.

The only product I could find that was clear coat safe was the eagle 1 never dull it claims to be a cleaner and polisher however at there web site they say to clean the rim first then apply never dull?

never dull did clean the majority of the funk but not all.

is there any other cleaning product thats clear coat safe?

http://www.meguiars.com/?wheel-care/...-Wheel-Cleaner

Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 05-20-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2008 | 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

denatured alcohol shouldn't mess with the paint/clearcoat at all, and does pretty good at cleaning off gunk/gum/etc.

you can get it in the painting department of wal-mart