Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

So I got a screw in my tire today. Is it true that 1 plug/patch wont void...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default So I got a screw in my tire today. Is it true that 1 plug/patch wont void...

So I go to put my summer wheels/tires on today, and as I am lowering the jack back down I notice I have a screw in my back tire . I call up Discount Tire where I got the tires from, and they tell me that they will replace the tire free if it can't be repaired. Having had tires plugged/patched before I know what can and can't be repaired. My screw was in the thread, about 3 inches in from the outside wall, so I know it can be patched and plugged (repaired). I remember them telling me previously for a Drag Radial I had replaced that a plug and patch would void the speed rating. After I brought this up to the Discount Tire associate, he told me that the speed rating was still good as long as the tire isn't plugged and patched twice!? Does this sound fishy to anyone else? Or is there actual truth to the matter that I can run around as fast as I want just as safely as before when I didn't have a plug/patch in my Khumo Ecsta Supra tire?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

it has nothing to do with a drag radial or not

a correctly done patch will lower the speed rating of a tire by one step.

also important to note is that according to RMA (rubber manufactures association) a Z rated tire should only be patched once
Old 03-28-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe this was what he was trying to say, that my Z rated tire could only be patched one time. But in fact he did say that you can have it patched once and the speed rating is still good. Hmmm.... Anyone else?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just had a nitto dr have 3 nails in it and they wouldnt fix it and i had to get a new one, called a few different companys and they all said the same thing, that they wouldnt fix a tire with more than 2 holes
Old 03-28-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, if you have more than one hole, especially in a DR, I can understand them not wanting to fix it. My issue seems to be different though.

Anyone know if one plug/patch voids your speed rating?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't if you have a credible shop patch the tire for you. Does discount tire even carry a roadhazard policy on their tires? It seems to me last time I checked it out, you are on your own with tire repairs unless the tire is unrepairable, and in that case I'm sure you have to send it in, and they will decide that.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ yes we do.

i work at discount tire and the rule is if it has 3 patches we cant repair it. so if this is your 3rd patch on one tire then you are ok.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

The associate I spoke with told me that it takes 2 patches/plugs to void the speed rating (which is my biggest concern here). I never asked about how many it would take before the tire is no good anymore.

I am more concerned with using the tire to its ZR capability, as I do make it up to 150+ here and there, as well as drive on them hard at the track.