Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

I ruined my front wheels after cleaning!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I ruined my front wheels after cleaning!

What an idiot I am.... I had bought a bottle of "Eagle One All Wheel & Tire Cleaner" a while back and decided to use it today. After I left work, I drove into a wash bay to clean my wheels. Stupid me, not reading the instructions I started spraying the aluminum 5-star wheels on my firebird doing 2 at a time.

The wheels were hot (directions say to spray on cool and dry wheel) at the time I applied the spray. Since the frint wheels were really dirty, I used a brush to help with cleaning. The brush I used wasn't all that soft, but I thought it would do the job. Anyway, after I finished spraying and scrubbing the wheels a bit, I rinse them with the high pressure wash.

Now the front wheels look like sh't, there seems to be streaks or patches of discoloration (ie. parts which are dull, and look like the imprint of dripping spray). I tried applying some glass cleaner, then some wax, but they still look like sh't. The back ones aren't as bad.

Can someone tell me what the hell happened? I have already thrown the brush in the garbage, and the only reason I didn't throw away the spray was just to get the name down right for this post.

Someone please tell this idiot here how to properly clean aluminum wheels, and what is a good cleaner to buy. I used to be good at this stuff, but I have gotten a little old and clumsy as of late.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

if the wheels got brushed and made them dull, I have good luck with mothers aluminum polish, dont know if its what you need though. That stuff cleans my wheels up real good and makes em shine like new, even gets off stuck on brake dust. just a thought.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Not sure what you did, but I ONLY use Simple Green Automotive on any wheels. Safe and powerful.

As stated, you'll probably need to spend some time polishing now. Mother's powerwheel works well.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd give the mother's a shot also. Don't panic too much
Old 05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show Me Pics Of Your Wheels....if The Are The 17 Inch Aluminum Ws6 Wheels...its More Then Likely That U Just Messed Up The Clear On The Wheels....which Can Be Stripped So That U May Polish The Aluminum
Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDubs
Not sure what you did, but I ONLY use Simple Green Automotive on any wheels. Safe and powerful.

As stated, you'll probably need to spend some time polishing now. Mother's powerwheel works well.
Actually Simple Green really shouldn't be used on bare/polished aluminum. You can dilute it a little bit with water, but it's still not the best wheel cleaner.

Back on topic, which wheels is it exactly that you have? If they are stock and aluminum.... They are either painted, or clear coated WS6 wheels.

Looking back at your post, it's hard to say whether your running painted/cleared or polished wheels. You said aluminum 5 star wheels on a firebird, which kind leaves me hanging.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

2 things you now need.

1. Mothers mag and aluminum polish
2. Mothers Powerball Mini

and get to polishing.

it sux, i did it myself also.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i hope your not the guy in your avatar
Old 05-08-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
i hope your not the guy in your avatar
Wow, I scanned back up to check it out and its Freakin hilarious! Nice! Anyways, sorry for the Good luck on those rims, im sure its nothing a little elbow grease cant get out!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

The wheels I have are the stock firebird 5 star aluminum which come on most of the 4th gen from around 95+. You've all seen them a thousand times.. I think they're nice wheels, but of course sort of boring.

I bought a small bottle of the Mother's aluminum wheel polish.. it's pretty expensive at around $10. I haven't had a chance to try it yet as I've been busy, but I should probably have a chance this weekend.

While we're on the topic.. can anyone recommend a safe or mild wheel cleaner which can be applied to hot/dry wheels? I don't know how many times I cleaned wheels in the past and never had this problem, so I am pretty sure it was the spray I used which was too strong (of course I should have read the directions and waiting until my wheels were cool). But this spray was pretty intensive, I noticed once I applied it I could see dirt and ssh*t rolling off the wheel mixed in with the foam.

LOL - and it's not me in the photo!
Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, definetly mothers aluminum polish them. It takes a little while, but it is the thing that works. Next to that if that doesnt work... is to wet sand them, and then use mothers aluminum polish, and try to get them recoated with clear coat.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Teching In

i have never went wrong with the armour all wheel cleaner spray. strongest i have used, and it doesnt mess up the wheel, even when hot.

Quick Reply: I ruined my front wheels after cleaning!