Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Clearcoated my Speedlines, Very Pleased

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Scammer Alert!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearcoated my Speedlines, Very Pleased

I bought some speedlines th eother day off of a user on this site and as ive seen on alot of peoples ws6 and speedlines ssince they ar epolished aluminum they tend to have alot of fine scratches on the face, after about 3 hours of attempting to polish them with every polish there is, i decided to clearcoat them, needless to say they look brand new and i couldnt be happier, ill post pics soon, i am putting 275 40 17 tires on tomorrow, going to look good i think
Old 07-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Please do. I've got a line on some 18" Z06s but they're polished and I'm not dealing with that on my daily driver. Its headache enough on my nice weather car. Did you do them yourself with a rattle can or have them professionally done and if so how much did they charge?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Scammer Alert!

well my dad owns a body shop, and i am employed there as a painter so i did them with RM/Diamont clear, but i also did my buddys with a rattle can and it looked a millon times better than the polished aluminum, if you use the rattle can just make sure you shake it really well, hold it about a foot away and go slow, you dont wanna run it, when i did my buddies i did like 3 coats per rim, let it flash about 5-10 minutes in between coats, goodluck
Old 07-02-2007, 10:01 PM

No problems with the clear sticking to a polished wheel? How much would your shop charge to clear four wheels and if they're just clearing the faces and lips would the tires need to be removed? Just wondering what you guys in IL are charging so when i get some quotes around here I can compare.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Scammer Alert!

If you have tires, they would just have to be masked off, which would prolly run you a little more due to materials and time, as far as clear sticking, you scuff slightly beforehand, with a greay scuff pad, and the scartches from that are tiny enough to allow the clearcoat to adhere and also cover the scratches, if it were just rims prolly like $35 a rim, but if you have tires mounted and had to be masked most likely around 50 to $60 per rim
Originally Posted by josh99ta
No problems with the clear sticking to a polished wheel? How much would your shop charge to clear four wheels and if they're just clearing the faces and lips would the tires need to be removed? Just wondering what you guys in IL are charging so when i get some quotes around here I can compare.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:51 PM

Good to know. I'm going to pick up those 18" Z06s then and put a good polish on them, then take them to get cleared at a local shop I trust. The wheels I'll swap for and the only cost to me will be the clear which will be well worth it.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my old set, I stripped the clear-coat off of them.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Scammer Alert!

Hey 02 trans am whatd you use to strip the clear? just a paint stripper? I used thinner on one of my sets, and all it did was make the clear really soft and a paint to get off, like wet masking tape, what procedure s did you do when stripping, the whole deal if you dont mind