Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Can you repair an Et Street?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can you repair an Et Street?

So. i picked up som Mt Et streets. 26x 11.5 x 17. Got them mounted on my stock ws6 rims. Well i have had them mounted and on the car for about 3 weeks now. I maybe put 40 miles on these tires. The last week the car has not moved, other then me rolling it around because i had no pcm. The tire was inflated all week while it didn't move. I get the pcm in the mail today, go out to look at the driver side tire is flat. I pump it up to about 25 psi, what i have the other one at till i get to the strip, and within an hour its flat. I had the tire off, and couldn't find any nail/screw in it. When the tires were put on new valve stems were installed, and like i said the car was fine for while, and then all of a sudden 1 day its flat.

My main question is can this be patched? Im going to the track on friday night, and i cant get another one by then, nor do i want to drop another 170 bucks on a tire that lasts 40 miles. Can i take it to discount tire and have it patched? can i get a tire repair kit and do it? or since its a slick can it not be patched.

When i have daylight tommorrow im gonna put some soapy water on it to try and figure out where its coming from.

Thanks guys. Chris
Old 08-14-2007, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure there is a hole in the tire? My was doing the same thing when I got it and there wasn't a nail in the tire. It turned out that the stock rim and corroded on the mounting surface and was not sealing properly. It needed to be ground out and the tire needed to be re mounted and balanced.

If there is a hole in the tire I wouldn't even think about patching it. ET streets are basically a racing slick, any damage to the tire compromises the structural integrity of the tire and it would be dangerous to try launching on a weak tire. During the 60' is not a good place to have a blow out.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably a leaky valve stem.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cronic_Moronic
Are you sure there is a hole in the tire? My was doing the same thing when I got it and there wasn't a nail in the tire. It turned out that the stock rim and corroded on the mounting surface and was not sealing properly. It needed to be ground out and the tire needed to be re mounted and balanced.

If there is a hole in the tire I wouldn't even think about patching it. ET streets are basically a racing slick, any damage to the tire compromises the structural integrity of the tire and it would be dangerous to try launching on a weak tire. During the 60' is not a good place to have a blow out.
this is not true, the way we patch tires at Discount Tire is a way to not cripple the structual integrity of the tire. its done in a way that doesnt effect anything on the tire. ive repaired plenty of et streets and watched them go 140+ on the highway. another good thing to do is call mickey thompson and ask them wat they think. and not trying to be a dick but i would rather have a blowout at the 1st 60' then have one while doing 100+mph down the quarter. like i said not trying to be rude just giving my opinions
Old 08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
this is not true, the way we patch tires at Discount Tire is a way to not cripple the structual integrity of the tire. its done in a way that doesnt effect anything on the tire.

Please do explain. I'd love to know how you repair a HOLE in a tire, that doesn't affect the structural qualities of the tire. Any patch/plug isn't as good as a new.

Sideways240, here's what you need to do. Dismount that wheel, and get a bottle of windex. Go around the perimeter of the tire, and check for leaks in that area. It's not uncommon for there to be a leak @ the edge of the rim where the tire seats on the bead. If that's the case, you can have the tire dismounted, and have them clean the wheel up with a wire wheel. Then I'd just go ahead and use a little bead sealer around the perimeter of the wheel and remount the tire.

You can also pull the valve stem cap, and spray a little windex in there. Look closely, and if it's bubbling, obviously you've found your leak. Check around the valve stem as well on the wheel.

It's extremely easy for these type of tires to pick up road debris/metal in the contact patch of the tire. That's the only problem with DRs and street slicks, I picked up a nail in mine with under 500 miles on my BFG.

I don't recommend patching or plugging DR tires. But people do. I especially would advise against it on an ET street.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Please do explain. I'd love to know how you repair a HOLE in a tire, that doesn't affect the structural qualities of the tire. Any patch/plug isn't as good as a new.
its way to hard to explain but if they werent safe and effective we wouldnt use them. try http://www.rma.org, http://www.tirewarehouseonline.com/Tirerepair.html

you'll see some stuff in there that answers your question and favors your answers, but in what i wrote in my first post was from experience. according to RMA standards a tire can be plugged and patched more than once, twice, etc as long as they are dont right. and ive plugged and patched my drag radials by their standards and theyve held up with no problems what so ever. but like that second link says some manufacturers dont recommend it although extensive testing has shown that the tire holds up perfect.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:38 PM
9 Second Club

Well i took the tire off after work today. I got some soap and water in a spray bottle, and i found the leak. Right in the middle of the tread bubbles were coming out.. There is no nail, screw or can you even see a whole. It must of been like a pin ***** in there.

The tire has maybe 40 miles on like i said. I didn't even do a burnout on them yet. I really dont wanna drop another 170+ on the tire, so i brought it to discount tire, and had it patched.... If the tires at least make it through 1 trip to the track i will feel that i atleast got some use out of them. I mean a almost 200 dollar tire, last 40 miles.... I can justify not trying the patch...

Wish me luck in not going into the wall. I will be at the track on friday...

Thanks guys.

Chris
Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

oh yea, and i had the spare out of the car. I will be bringing it with me, just in case. I also have a small 12 volt air pump. So maybe i will be ok.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:19 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
its way to hard to explain but if they werent safe and effective we wouldnt use them.
That's cool. I'm a BMW tech, so I've got plenty of experience with low profile/speed rated tires/ stickies and slicks.

I mount a lot of tires for myself, and others as well including slicks and DRs.

Way to hard to explain? The whole process is thoughtless. But the fact that people would even suggest about patching a ET Street, is rediculous.

They aren't talking about DOT slicks in any of those links you've posted BTW.

I'll leave it at that. Do what you want, but it's your life. And I sure as hell wouldn't patch/plug one for you...
Old 08-15-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
That's cool. I'm a BMW tech, so I've got plenty of experience with low profile/speed rated tires/ stickies and slicks.

I mount a lot of tires for myself, and others as well including slicks and DRs.

Way to hard to explain? The whole process is thoughtless. But the fact that people would even suggest about patching a ET Street, is rediculous.

They aren't talking about DOT slicks in any of those links you've posted BTW.

I'll leave it at that. Do what you want, but it's your life. And I sure as hell wouldn't patch/plug one for you...
the reason i told him to was because he didnt even get to use them. i would hate for people to buy a new tire because they got a hole in it and didnt even get to burn some rubber. now if it were a single digit race car where its hella risky to even think about cutting corners on the car then no i wouldnt do it. i respect your thoughts and opinions and thanks for the suggestions and info

izzy

Quick Reply: Can you repair an Et Street?