Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What do you think of NEXEN tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of NEXEN tires?

I just recieved a set of OE C5 chrome wheels for my '02 Z28 and am thinking of installing the NEXEN 275/40/17 tire on them. What have you heard about them? thanks1
Old 04-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Nexen N3000? Budget tires...had a few people tell me that they have no grip, but they aren't bad for a daily driver. They're inexpensive...so that's a plus.

-Matt
Old 04-14-2008, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

for add tires id do the fuzion zri's they are cheap and ive personally seen 2 people cut 1.8 60's on the 245's. they are a nice cheap tire
Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Yes on both! 3000's and a daily driver. I bought the car to cruise in and save my '69 SS 396 for shows. I'm tired of shifting gears. The Nexen's are a good looking tire and have a nice pattern to them.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Nexens are the most inexpensive I see in that size....Fuzions are a bit more expensive, but a decent tire as well.

For a daily driver, if you're not wanting a really high end performance tire...just want something round, black and has a hole in the middle....go with the Nexens.

-Matt
Old 04-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Teching In

As far as going with the nexen i wouldn't do it. Unless you don't really do anything but drive the car normally. Even then they still wear like **** only good thing about them is that cheap yet theres still things better then that for just as much money. If it was me spend the money on good tires it worth it, But i do get a discount working for a tire shop selling all sorts of tires but hey i see what works and i see what dont.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hennytime
for add tires id do the fuzion zri's they are cheap and ive personally seen 2 people cut 1.8 60's on the 245's. they are a nice cheap tire
agreed, theyre a great tire for the price.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Banned

I had the misfortune of taking them to the track after a long tube header install. Heh, second gear was like driving on ice. Completely spun all the way through second. I had to get all the way out of it. This was even at high altitude.

They do look nice, have an F1 style tread design, but suck for the most important thing you should be looking for in a tire, and that is traction.

I sold mine after little mileage.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hennytime
for a dd tire id do the fuzion zri's they are cheap and ive personally seen 2 people cut 1.8 60's on the 245's. they are a nice cheap tire
I'm looking at tires for my DD Z-28 right now, so I've been doing a lot of research. I was looking at the Fuzions through the Bridgestone/Firestone website, and when I clicked on getting a price quote from my local Firestone retailer, the ZRi was posted in red print, which, according to the site, meant that the tire is "discontinued, and subject to available stock on hand".

I was going to call F'stone/B'stone's 800 number today to find out, but got tied up taking the snow tires off the wife's DD, as well as a front end alignment and freeing up a couple of sticking caliper slider pins (damned Ford design.....)
Old 04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had them on two of my cars and they are a great tire for a budget dd....They didnt grip all that well but for the price I didnt care...I would highly suggest them...They are great in the rain obviously
Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

honestly i like my nexens the first set I had lasted me about 20,000 miles, just replaced all 4 for under $500 brand new mounted balanced on 18" rims. The funny thing is when my car was stock the tires did not spin at all at the track gave me a 1.9 60ft stock... Now if i'm concerned about traction with my mods i put my et streets on
Old 04-15-2008, 12:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98WsSick
honestly i like my nexens the first set I had lasted me about 20,000 miles, just replaced all 4 for under $500 brand new mounted balanced on 18" rims. The funny thing is when my car was stock the tires did not spin at all at the track gave me a 1.9 60ft stock... Now if i'm concerned about traction with my mods i put my et streets on

ummmm, i seriously doubt they didn't spin at all especially on 18's, oh wait you must be one of those guys that race with the TCS on..... and 20k miles is horrible imo, i've had my bfg's on for almost 30k there is plenty of tread on them and they aren't the highest treadwear rating on their list, i am not shy about gettin on it and i love to drift a lil when it's a little wet.

granted bfg's cost alot more but not twice as much, they'll last twice as long if the nexxans only lasted 20k. and the extra grip may save your **** in an emergency
Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

i have nexens on the front in that size and they have been a great tire for me. they dont slip and they grip well in turns
Old 04-15-2008, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much are you paying for those nexxens?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

You can get the Nexen's for as low as 330 for 4, I'm running them on my 17x9 35th LE wheels and there fine. As for the people talking about taking them to the track GET SOME NITTOS OR SLICKS...Jeez regular tires aren;t meant for track use buy some drag radials. These tires wear evenly last awhile, I'm on my 2nd set, and look decent I give them 2 thumbs up!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm looking at tires for my DD Z-28 right now, so I've been doing a lot of research. I was looking at the Fuzions through the Bridgestone/Firestone website, and when I clicked on getting a price quote from my local Firestone retailer, the ZRi was posted in red print, which, according to the site, meant that the tire is "discontinued, and subject to available stock on hand".

I was going to call F'stone/B'stone's 800 number today to find out, but got tied up taking the snow tires off the wife's DD, as well as a front end alignment and freeing up a couple of sticking caliper slider pins (damned Ford design.....)
I just called Bridgestone and spoke with their rep. I read her the wording on the "Firestone Master Car Care" website, and she thought it was a little misleading, because as far as she knows, the Fuzion ZRi tire is still in production.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had my Nexens on for several weeks now, and I'm very pleased with them. My car is a daily driver and goes to the track every so often. I haven't ran these at the track yet (hopefully i'll have some drag radials by the next time I run) so I don't know how they perform in a racing situation, but in just day to day driving they perform great. I would definitely suggest them for a budget daily driver tire.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by toslo5o
ummmm, i seriously doubt they didn't spin at all especially on 18's, oh wait you must be one of those guys that race with the TCS on..... and 20k miles is horrible imo, i've had my bfg's on for almost 30k there is plenty of tread on them and they aren't the highest treadwear rating on their list, i am not shy about gettin on it and i love to drift a lil when it's a little wet.

granted bfg's cost alot more but not twice as much, they'll last twice as long if the nexxans only lasted 20k. and the extra grip may save your **** in an emergency
Well you know what I don't drive like a ***** like you probably do. 20,000 miles and 2000 burnouts over 3 years is pretty damn good if you ask me. Plus they cost probaby half what you paid
Old 04-16-2008, 02:34 AM
Launching!

I have Nexen N3000 tires that came with my new C6 replica wheels. After about 3-4 weeks of use, I can say that I'm much happier with these than I was with my Fuzion ZRi tires. The Nexens make much less road noise and have much better wet traction. I haven't taken them to the track yet, but as others have pointed out, these aren't drag tires. For a low-cost, high speed rated tire on a daily driver, these seem to be a pretty good buy. Obviously, these are summer-only. I'll need Blizzaks come winter. I can't speak for durability just yet... ask me in about a year and a half.

I got these tires as part of a package deal, but before I bought them I did some research. I found mostly positive reviews online and found that Nexen tires are produced in Korea by Michelin; they're supposed to be similar in quality and performance to Pilot Sports.

All that said, if I had the money, I'd have Pirellis or some other high-end, high-performance tires.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98WsSick
Well you know what I don't drive like a ***** like you probably do. 20,000 miles and 2000 burnouts over 3 years is pretty damn good if you ask me. Plus they cost probaby half what you paid

k. i drive sideways and get on it....how's that *****? i mash the gas at nearly every light, i'm 22 years old bought the car with my own money because i'm addicted to speed and even drive the car in the winter cause i go through power withdraws driving anything else,

i put 20,000 miles on my car in under a years time and bought it 62,000 mi ago and out of the kuhmos, nexxans, bfg, the best tire for the money are the KDWS, IMO i dont have much cash but i wont go that cheap on tires ever again for my TA

Quick Reply: What do you think of NEXEN tires?