Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

295/35R18 on ADR M Sport with pics inside - will it rub?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 295/35R18 on ADR M Sport with pics inside - will it rub?

I test fitted one of my rear wheels today. The tire is a Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 295/35ZR18 on a 9.5" wide ADR M Sport wheel. Offset is 35mm. Haven't driven on it yet, but does this look like it will rub on the edge of the wheel arch?

The car is lowered about 1.5-1.75". There's about a 0.7" gap between the tire and wheel arch in the pics. Can I get away with rolling the lip, or will I need to raise the car some?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I would do is go find a steep drive way or a steep incline. Drive your car half way on it and get out to check where your tires are, then keep going up and down it, checking each time to see how things look. From the pictures it looks like you will need to do the fender roll at least.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like you might get way with just rolling th fenders...

get some more shots if you can. like of the whole side of the car. I wanna see more on how they look on the car.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jermzz
Looks like you might get way with just rolling th fenders...

get some more shots if you can. like of the whole side of the car. I wanna see more on how they look on the car.
I will as soon as I get my front tires mounted Still waiting for them to arrive.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes it will rub - rolling will most likely resolve most of it, and BTW, wrong sized tire on a 9.5" wide wheel . . . .
Old 06-09-2008, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

hmmm this scares me...

I have 315's on the rear of mine and wanna lower it...how much do you think I can get away with??

car looks good tho!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Yes it will rub - rolling will most likely resolve most of it, and BTW, wrong sized tire on a 9.5" wide wheel . . . .
I can live with a little tire rub as long as it doesn't cut up the tire. I know 295 is not a recommended size for a 9.5" rim, but as you can see from the pictures, the proof is in the pudding. There is just enough bulge in the sidewall to protect the lip from curbs and the like, since these tires don't feature a rim guard like most low profile tires. I had some concerns about trying to force such a wide tire onto a 9.5" rim but it fit like a glove. I have seen techs have more trouble with 275s on the same size rim. Also, the tread sits dead flat at operating inflation pressure.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie
. . . . I know 295 is not a recommended size for a 9.5" rim, but as you can see from the pictures, the proof is in the pudding. There is just enough bulge in the sidewall to protect the lip from curbs and the like, since these tires don't feature a rim guard like most low profile tires. I had some concerns about trying to force such a wide tire onto a 9.5" rim but it fit like a glove. I have seen techs have more trouble with 275s on the same size rim. Also, the tread sits dead flat at operating inflation pressure.

What ever you say . . . there is "no proof in the pudding" . . . You can force a square peg through a round hole with a big enough hammer, but it still does not prove a square peg fits in a round hole . . . .

The tire is too wide for the wheel period, but it is your choice and your car . . . the "techs" which if they were "technicians" should never had put that tire on that wheel . . . and I get more and more dissapointed when "professionals" do this careless action . . . . the tread "may" be sitting "flat" in your eyes but the sidewalls and the tread is being forced out of shape and against manufacturer recommendations . . .
Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

The recommended rim widths for that tire are 10-11.5 your only .5 off so your golden. Looks awesome ,perfect size for that rim width. Since you are not running these in the 24hr of Lemans you will never have a problem or will you effect the engineering of this tires. Just keep it below 200mph.

Last edited by garrett3; 06-10-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

...You can force a square peg through a round hole with a big enough hammer, but it still does not prove a square peg fits in a round hole . . . .
Talking about big hammers, how come it's acceptable to use a BFH on your car's sheet metal to make 17x11s and 315s and 335s fit but not ok to mount a 295 on a 9.5" wide rim. Is that not literally forcing a square peg into a round hole? I am certainly not the first to have mounted a 295 on 9.5" rim - as I said earlier I had my concerns but I searched the forums and saw that people had already successfully pulled this off earlier without suffering tire failure.

... but it is your choice and your car . . .
Glad you pointed that out. That's precisely the reason I made this thread.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Well, here I go eating my words, but the wheels are on and boy do the rears rub! I put the stock springs back in, albiet with 1.5 coils cut off to lower it to a lesser degree than the Intraxes, but it's still low enough to rub. Even with the AGXs on the hardest setting, I still got to drive like grandma to avoid chewing the tires up. The fender edges are getting rolled tomorrow. It will likely still make contact on large bumps and the like, but at least my tires will live through it.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some stranos while theyre still in stock, maybe your springs are just too much of a drop? you could also try rolling the fenders.

Quick Reply: 295/35R18 on ADR M Sport with pics inside - will it rub?