Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

wheels for my 68 camaro GREG WELD STARS

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wheels for my 68 camaro GREG WELD STARS

first of all where would be the best place to get them??? tomz wheels, oe places like that cause summit actually seems to be pretty good having the 15x4s for like $130 and then the 15x8s for like $150 or so....

but the most important question is sizing for my 68 camaro cause its stock all around.... no fenders cut or tubbed just plain old stock... but i dont wwant them to stick out any more than they have to and have then tuck in nicely.... i need to know if anyone knows the "perfect" back spacing and ect for me cause i made a mistake talking to an idiot before and he has me looking stupid with my weld XP pros sticking out so bad i hardly even wanted to keep them.... but i dont mind a little stick out cause im going with a MT ET drag so its gonna be a decent size tire but i dont want any excess if i dont need it.... and also the right back spacing for the front as well.... someone please help me out so my car looks good!!!!

im also so happy that greg weld deicided to able us regular guys to be able to afford these wheels without going to the bank and getting a loan.... these things look very good and are priced right!!!!! thanks greg weld!!!! but i did hear that they didnt have the wheels all out before they said they did about 6 months ago which created some hassle..... is that all over with?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can anyone answer this for me??? im trying to buy right now
Old 09-19-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a brand new set of Greg welds design wheels for my car about 8 months ago. ( http://www.gregweld.com/wheel_detail...2_star_15.html ) The fronts fit perfect but the back didn't! I contacted Mike over at Greg Welds and told him what the problem was. He told me they would make a revision to the wheel to fit the 2002 f-body without grinding and would be out by the middle of summer. I still haven't gotten my rear rims and now my whole build was waiting on these rear rims to come in. I just ordered a new set of Billet Specialties ( http://www.billetspecialties.com/ite...d=251&pid=1027 ) for my car because now with the death of Mr. Greg Weld (R.I.P.) they are having other problems and don't know when the revision would be finished. So now I'm stuck with the brand new rims that don't fit my car and Mike refused to take them back!! I'd be willing to sell these wheels very cheap. 15x3.5 front and 15x8 4.5 back space for the rear. I am not sure if they will fit your car or not but you can call Greg Weld and ask them. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

I do know they will fit the LT1 f-bodies without grinding. at least thats what Mike said.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i will check them out.... we need to find out if they fit man and i might be able to help you out..... but we must makre sure cause i cant help you out and get them and then be in your same situation when i can just buy some new ones that wil fit for sure..... im sure you can understand.... what were you thinking cheap what do you mean cause i can get a brand new set right now for $550 shipped!!! let me know man cause thats the size im wanting.... just gotta make sure they will fit on my 1968 model

but your sure they fit on a LT1 with no issues as welL cause i have a 94 Z28 thats a drag car and needs wheels.... 68 is top priority though
Old 09-19-2008, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

From what Mike Herzog told me, before they put these wheels out on the market they test fit them on the LT1 f-body and had no clearance issues. I've also read on here that someone took LT1 brakes and put them on his LS1 car so the wheels would fit. When I say cheap I mean like $400.00 shipped cheap.. Oh and these are a brand new set never used once!!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by odarabla
I bought a brand new set of Greg welds design wheels for my car about 8 months ago. ( http://www.gregweld.com/wheel_detail...2_star_15.html ) The fronts fit perfect but the back didn't! I contacted Mike over at Greg Welds and told him what the problem was. He told me they would make a revision to the wheel to fit the 2002 f-body without grinding and would be out by the middle of summer. I still haven't gotten my rear rims and now my whole build was waiting on these rear rims to come in. I just ordered a new set of Billet Specialties ( http://www.billetspecialties.com/ite...d=251&pid=1027 ) for my car because now with the death of Mr. Greg Weld (R.I.P.) they are having other problems and don't know when the revision would be finished. So now I'm stuck with the brand new rims that don't fit my car and Mike refused to take them back!! I'd be willing to sell these wheels very cheap. 15x3.5 front and 15x8 4.5 back space for the rear. I am not sure if they will fit your car or not but you can call Greg Weld and ask them. Let me know if you are interested.
Wow 15x8 4.5bs would look horrible on a 4th gen. They would definatly stick WAY out giving it that "1984 check out my crager ss's" look.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:46 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

For a 1968 Camaro, with stock width axle, a 15x10 with 5.5" backspacing will fit the rear. Might have to roll the fender lips depending on tire width and suspension height.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Wow 15x8 4.5bs would look horrible on a 4th gen. They would definatly stick WAY out giving it that "1984 check out my crager ss's" look.

I was thinking the same thing!

...hopefully the rear-end was shortened. 15x8's are a bit small for the size tires which can be easily run on a 4th gen car.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i already specified these are for a 1968 camaro so i dont know why we are even talking about LT1 or LS1s??? lol anyways 9 ball what would the 4.5 BS look like on my car???? thanks for the info reguardless guys!!!!

i know yall said they would look bad on a F body but what about the 68??
Old 09-19-2008, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

We were referring the backspace setup to the poster who mentioned he had used ones for you to buy, not for your setup. (at least I was).

If you go by Tony's comment, a 10" wheel was centered in the fender area with BS=5.5", the 8" with BS=4.5" the wheel would still be centered. You cannot easily run the same wider tires the 4th gen guys use...so 8's with smaller width tires may be a better choice. It depends on the modifications you've done as well as what you're willing to do to make a wider tire fit.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:01 PM
FormerVendor

btw, if you already have a set of wheels with a backspace you do not like...that is perfect. You should easily be able to calculate what you prefer.

Look and see how much clearance you have on the inside of the wheel and fender area and pick up a wheel with a corresponding backspace you've determined you prefer. If you wish you're wheels were 1" more tucked in...as long as you have 1" on the inside, you're good to go.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so the 4.5 in a 8 inch wheel would be good for me????
Old 09-19-2008, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

Measure your current wheels if you still have them and adjust accordingly. There really isn't a correct backspacing that you must follow. You could follow Tony's suggestion...if so, the 8 should work. But that doesn't mean it will sit where you may like it.

The main suggestion that I have is if you're picking up a set of over the counter wheels, as long as you don't mount them, typically you can exchange them for another backspace if it doesn't work out as you anticipated. Do NOT mount tires until fitment is verified.

Quick Reply: wheels for my 68 camaro GREG WELD STARS