Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok first.... Read my sig... I drive a Trans Am, I never owned a LS1 Camaro. Secondly I'm a thirdgen guy, and I never proclaimed myself to be an expert on these cars, I just started... however I DO have a knowledge of stereos. I dont know everything on the Monsoon setup Im going by the information I can find... No I dont believe everything I read online because If I did I would have ripped out my entire Monsoon System because 2 of my speakers blew which is COMPLETELY retarded.

In the same respect Im not gonna go buy a Camaro in addition to my Trans Am so I can mess with the monsoon setup and be an "expert" The resource at Houston fbody while It may not be perfectly up to date IS THE most comprehensive one available online. It DOES have the GM wiring diagrams, and hey while the info isnt exact, I dont see any GM tech sheets readily available, and Im not gonna go order them at $40 a pop just so I can be an "expert"... Im wingin it on what I know and what I read around here. I didnt see anyone else stepping up and making an attempt to debunk the myth that the speakers are NOT changeble which is completely BS.. Or worse the poor guys that are convinced to change their entire system out because of 1 blown speaker when they DONT have to or want to.. Its a $1000 solution to a $200 problem.

As for blowing speakers the Trans AM guys blow up speakers just as easily so that theory is out the window.

My point was your reply was very argumentative, and youre jumping down my throat over somehting that as I even said in my post "id assume" sorry I dont have a fleet of test cars in my massive shop to test these things out. Jeeze man I was just trying to help and it seemed up until you, everyone appreciated the attempt even if it wasnt perfect...
Old 11-01-2003, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry if I seemed like I was bashing, I was trying to help out with correct info.

And I was NOT claiming to be an expert. I am just a 4th gen Camaro enthusiast who tends to be a freak when it comes to schematics and details... I was just trying to help you out with correct info about the Monsoon system.

And I still do not mind scanning that Camaro buyers guide for you...
You might like it, It has pics of ALL the different model year Camaro's and the complete list of ALL the available options (and upgrades) for the anniv. (last model year) Camaro. And as if that is not enough, It has a wicked cut-away view of the LS-1 engine with an GM article comparing the similarities to the 'Vette LS-1 engine.

My wife will not allow nasty girly pics hangin on the shop wall, but I can be just as happy looking up there at that LS-1 cut-away view..... "LS-1 be praised" And if the engine is not enough to keep you smiling, you got the Monsoon for a 'back-up'! The Monsoon is NOT a bad system. It just needs a little Love to bring out the Typhoon...

And I "DO" appreciate all of your advice and tips with regards to the Monsoon system we have. Guys like you who 'experiment' with different ideas and solutions save ALL of us a buttload of MONEY and FRUSTRATION.

This one is for Rogue Leader for helping us out with the trial-and-error part of it...
Old 11-02-2003, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well thanks BigDaddy I appreciate your response.

I still live with my folks, so nudie girls are not on my walls either LOL...

I think my friend has that Camaro buyers guide... I may need to five finger discount it from him. hehe but I appreiate the offer!
Old 11-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Ohm's law is pretty simple:

Watts = Volts^2 / Ohms

Now, to convert peak to RMS, multiply or divide by two, so peak is always twice RMS and vice versa.

The monsoon rating is suppossed to be like 50Wx10ch and that's peak watts at an absurd amount of distortion for just a fraction of a second (then incorrectly extrapolated to a full second).

The new term seems to be a WLS (When Lightning Strikes) to describe outlandish wattage ratings that are just a big marketing number. So its 500W WLS!

Cliff
Old 11-07-2003, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cliff,

The Monsoon isnt evenly divided at all. The Subwoffers get more power than the front and rear speakers. The tweeters are powered off of the deck's power and not the monsoon amp and probably get the least powr of all.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:41 PM
Launching!

What can I do about my vert. It's supposed to be the 500w system. The speakers in the door sound good enough but the ons at the back seat sound like they only put out highs.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kobwo
What can I do about my vert. It's supposed to be the 500w system. The speakers in the door sound good enough but the ons at the back seat sound like they only put out highs.
My speakers back there suck as well, but I think the Monsoon System has some sort of built-in crossover in the amp itself. I have not really figured that one out yet... There has got to be a way to get around that and make better sound out of those speakers. (How 'bout some tips Rouge Leader...)

Right now, I am trying to figure out the "easy way" to install a couple of "small"
(and clean) amps to power those and the backmost speakers. Maybe If I add just a 'little' more power to them and get a better quality speaker I will be able to deal with it.

As far as the front door speakers go... Mine were rocking along pretty good untill that damn Sevendust CD came along. Then... BOOM! Time for new speakers!

James
Old 11-10-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well the Monsoon amp has some sort of midpass filter on the front and rear channels... I know it definitely cuts the signal at the bottom at 120 hz... and it cuts it somewhere towards the top too (as evidenced by my attempt this weekend to wire tweeters in parallel). Convertibles are a different animal, the monsoon setup was very much not designed for the vert at all.

Is it possible your factory subs are dead??
Old 11-11-2003, 06:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Well the Monsoon amp has some sort of midpass filter on the front and rear channels... I know it definitely cuts the signal at the bottom at 120 hz... and it cuts it somewhere towards the top too (as evidenced by my attempt this weekend to wire tweeters in parallel). Convertibles are a different animal, the monsoon setup was very much not designed for the vert at all.

I knew you were the man to ask about that crossover...
Thanks, Rouge Leader...

James
Old 11-13-2003, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

I have a set of mb quart components just lying around dsd-216. I was going to put them in my other car but I ended up selling it before I installed them. Anyway I was wondering if I put them in my 01 ws6 would it have the same effect as the alpine speakers or will it not sound as good? Would it sound better than stock? Lastly- if I do install them should I use the supplied crossover or should I just hook it up like the stock speakers using the factory crossover? Thanks. Stereo newbie just looking for a better sound while not spending that much money.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I would use the crossover that comes with them firstly... cut the factory crossover off and wire this one in its place.... then plug into the factory harness

That said those MB Quarts probably will sound worse, their power requirements are higher and higher quality speakers require more cleaner power to sound decent... They may sound good, but more likely they may sound like complete crap.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:19 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a blown 6.5 sub in the sail panel and I'm thinking about replacing both sides. How hard is it to remove the sail panels?

Derek
Old 11-17-2003, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

its just those plastic grates... start at the bottom and pop em off
Old 12-22-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

I have a vert and I noticed this same thing. In the convertible...there are only front and rears....since we don't have a hatch....there are no subs. The rear speakers seem to have no bass what-so-ever and seem very underpowered. Is there a crossover or something near the speaker...or is it that way straight from the HU.

If so...are there 2 spare channels someplace that are not being used since the verts are minus 2 in speakers compared to the non-verts.

Heck...do the verts even have an amp....or are the front and rears powered from the HU only?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert
I have a vert and I noticed this same thing. In the convertible...there are only front and rears....since we don't have a hatch....there are no subs. The rear speakers seem to have no bass what-so-ever and seem very underpowered. Is there a crossover or something near the speaker...or is it that way straight from the HU.

If so...are there 2 spare channels someplace that are not being used since the verts are minus 2 in speakers compared to the non-verts.

Heck...do the verts even have an amp....or are the front and rears powered from the HU only?
I wish I knew the answer to this one as well. The sound system in the Vert is outright SAD! There is no bass whatsover, and I am embarrassed to turn the music up while the top is down. May have to install some 10" subs in th trunk later on.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XtinctHawk02
I wish I knew the answer to this one as well. The sound system in the Vert is outright SAD! There is no bass whatsover, and I am embarrassed to turn the music up while the top is down. May have to install some 10" subs in th trunk later on.
I'm trying to avoid putting subs in the car and I'm concerned about the convertible mechanism being interfered with by a speaker that is too big.
There must be a crossover or something that chokes off those rears!!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert

Honestly I never looked at one but Im sure the amp is probably there... The crossovers for the tweeters are mounted to the sweeter, the speakers are crossed over at the amp.

From what I've read so far about the difference in the vert setup, the best bet with verts is replace it all if you want decent sound.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Honestly I never looked at one but Im sure the amp is probably there... The crossovers for the tweeters are mounted to the sweeter, the speakers are crossed over at the amp.

From what I've read so far about the difference in the vert setup, the best bet with verts is replace it all if you want decent sound.
I think the front speakers sound good....I just want to replace the rears. I'm past the awesome stereo part of life...I want decent sound.......but I'd rather make the car go faster!
Old 12-29-2003, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Excellent write-up! I've been wondering about the details of the Monsoon system for a while now, and this thread cleared things right up.

Are all of the speaker models listed in the first post direct drop-in replacements?

Also, has anyone verified the front speaker setup for the Camaros? I know we don't have a tweeter that's mounted separately like the T/A's, but is it a true coaxial speaker in the doors? Or is it a mid with the separate tweeter mounted in front of it using the wiring setup like Rogue Leader described for the T/A?
Old 12-29-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chili Pepper
Excellent write-up! I've been wondering about the details of the Monsoon system for a while now, and this thread cleared things right up.

Are all of the speaker models listed in the first post direct drop-in replacements?

Also, has anyone verified the front speaker setup for the Camaros? I know we don't have a tweeter that's mounted separately like the T/A's, but is it a true coaxial speaker in the doors? Or is it a mid with the separate tweeter mounted in front of it using the wiring setup like Rogue Leader described for the T/A?

The door speakers AFAIK in a Camaro are just standard Coaxials, 2 ohm like the mids int he TA... You ca just bypass the whole tweeter part of the recipe and just install the Alpine (or whatever brand you buy) coaxes.

Quick Reply: ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers