Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Will these speakers work ?(Infinity 602CS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will these speakers work ?(Infinity 602CS)

I'm in the market for new door and possibly sail panel speakers.

I really don't know too much about audio, I'm just looking for something that's basically plug and play and will work well with an otherwise stock Monsoon system.

I was at Best Buy today looking at speakers, and the Infinity 6020CS 6.5's sounded AWESOME. They come with tweeters and crossovers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INFINITY-602...3A1%7C294%3A50

In my door panel there's a spot for the tweeter, so no problems there, but what do I do with the crossovers? Do I even need those?

And I know I need 2ohm speakers, but these are listed as 2.65 Ohm. Close enough?

I was origianlly thinking I wanted Infinity Reference 6022si's,
http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-REFEREN...3A1%7C294%3A50
but the 6020cs sounded much better. Not that the 6022's sounded bad, just the 6020's sounded GREAT.

If I'm going to have a headache with crossovers, would I just be better off w/the 6022si's? I'm sure they're still 10x better than stock.

Or what about Infinity 62.7i? Anyone run those?

I mostly listen to rock and punk, btw.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by StuntmanMike; 04-14-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

imo there are much better speakers for around $100. I'd go to a couple car audio shops. Circuit city has polks that blow them out of the water in clarity, and you could get for a damn good price by now, if the stores are still open at all. just don't listen to the salesman because they have to be paid by certain brands from what they tell you (at least at my local stores).

and since you have a bird any 6.5 component setup will do.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

First, I think ALL Circuit City's were liquidated at the end of March.

As for your setup, You WILL need the crossovers for a component setup, but keep in mind MOST aftermarket component setups are intended to be powered by aftermarket amplifiers. And, your factory components are already crossed-over at the factory amp, so sound quality WILL probably be compromised.

Also, I am willing to bet the speakers you heard in the store WERE powered by an external amplifier, and not the head unit. If keeping the monsoon setup, remember this....the factory speakers were meant to be powered by the factory amp. That being said the power is equally matched. Don't expect the same sound experience that you had in the store compared to your car. The biggest improvement you can make is the head unit, think of it has the brain of your sound system, the smarter the better right?

That way you ditch the monsoon, factory amp, and crummy factory speakers. Also you can switch to the typical 4ohm speaker setup.

In summary, yes you can switch to those speakers. I think there are better out there for the price. You will need the crossovers. The 2.65ohm WILL work. If you stay monsoon go with the reference series speakers, if you go externally amplified and a new HU get the next step up. Don't waste your money on something the monsoon cant power properly.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

you dont need its crossovers with monsoon amp since there are separate wires for tweeter and mids. also, they will still be as loud or louder than stock so don't worry about power. although, yes the ones at best buy were most likely amped. they wont sound as good, but good none the less. least my polks do.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

I suppose you COULD physically do it with out the cross overs but it wouldnt make scense. Aftermarket speakers are meant to be crossed over at certain frequncies, and those are predetermined (hence the name cross-over). If you run it from the "separate wires for tweeter and mids" you will be using monsoon x-over frequencies built for monsoon speakers. Sure it will be louder than stock but is louder the goal or sound quality. What's a loud speaker if it sounds like !

If you don't want to deal with the X-over go with a good set of Co-axial or Tri-axial speakers.

And, Flaring Afro..... What's with all the Polk hype in the past couple threads, are you a rep? Those speakers are alright at best!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have em installed... using stock wiring. components need too much juice, if you didnt use tweeter wires and powered both from mid wiring, you'll have to turn it up more and have more distortion, i'd guess.

the polks are certainly better than infinities. there are better speakers out there, but i listened to most of whats in its price range and the memphis, mb quarts, etc werent as clear sounding. but like i told him he should go in and listen himself. i've never told anyone to def buy the polks, but when people ask what they suggest, thats it.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
i have em installed... using stock wiring. components need too much juice, if you didnt use tweeter wires and powered both from mid wiring, you'll have to turn it up more and have more distortion, i'd guess.
I understand your reasoning, and agree that "components need too much juice" and as I mentioned earlier MOST aftermarket component setups are meant to be amplified. As for distortion, if the crossover in the door is bypassed and the crossover that comes with the aftermakets is used he would be fine (assuming the new speakers could be powered by the monsoon setup). The crossover in the door has the two sets of wire coming out that you are talking about, but the one set on the other side offers the full signal coming from the amp. So additional distortion would only be caused by the speakers being underpowered or too much bass (easily cured with blockers).

the polks are certainly better than infinities.
purely personal opinion.... I have heard very nice infinity reference series setups (polk also, but saying one is "certainly better" is not true).

but like i told him he should go in and listen himself.
One other thing we "certainly" agree on...
Old 04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Hello, I have a 02 Trans Am Collector Edition. Here are the speakers I have changed. For the doors I put in Focal Axcess 165 6.5 inch component speakers, did not use their crossovers just wired the woofer and tweeter like stock. I am using the stock monsoon head unit and amp. For the sail panel subs they are dual voice coil 4ohm 6.5 inch subs. I put in Audio Pipe TSV-6, these are 6 inch dual voice coil 4ohm subs, they fit just right no spacer needed and have two terminals since the subs have four wires going to them, it wired up like stock. The Focal speakers have a price range between $200-$300, and the subs were about $50 each. I believe Kee Audio has the subs and tested them out, I believe he liked them better than the bazookas he used before he found the Audio Pipe subs. I am extremely happy with the sound quality. One important note is that all speakers have to be broken in, normal diving for me was about a month, and the sound quality got better. Sorry for the long read hope this helps you out.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Focal are very nice speakers, good job. I am glad to hear the factory crossover is working well for you. If you ever get a chance, trace down the input to the factory crossover and rewire in that Focal and report back.

Also, did you need a spacer for the fronts? I know you said you didn't for the backs...
Old 04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Teching In

No, I did not need a spacer for the fronts, they mounted right into the plastic basket that attaches to the door panel. As for the crossover, I havn't thought of that but now you got me thinking. The main reason I got them was that my dad has one of focal's top of the line home stereo speakers and they kick ***, also my local Sound Advice went out of business so I got the pair for like $170. Thanks