Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

iPhone Hands Free for Music and Calls

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default iPhone Hands Free for Music and Calls

I'm looking for a way so I can use my iPhone to listen to music, but also take calls over the car speakers. I've looked at some stuff on eBay, but after reading more about them I found out they have a slight "beeping" sound that occurs every couple minutes - I don't want that really, unless anyone on here can convince my it's not that bad. I need the setup to be able to also charge my phone, since these things don't have the greatest battery life.

Here is the product I was looking at:
http://www.canadadrivesafe.ca/index....od&productId=4

Video About it - Pretty good video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2dk2OiYgiY

If I used this product and used an AUX cable instead of the FM transmitter, would I get rid of the beeping noise? Or is there a better solution?

Does anyone have an iPhone set up currently in there car? If so, let me know how you're doing it. Maybe I should ask this on an iPhone forum, but I figured I'd ask here first.

Last edited by Counted Out; 07-04-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

I have my iphone setup in my car using a regular audio cable. It is inconvenient that it doesnt charge the phone but just buy a $10 car charger and your set. I don't know what you mean about the beeping, mine doesnt beep at all. I'm happy with how it works. Its pretty cool when your listening to music and ur phone rings, the music fades out and your ringtone plays through the speakers until u answer the call and when ur done with the call the music fades back in and resumes exactly where it left off. The only complaint I could have is that I've been told that the person on the phone hears their voice coming back to them. I guess due to the fact that the phone is picking up the voice coming through the car speakers. Oh well, sucks for the person calling.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpr884
I have my iphone setup in my car using a regular audio cable. It is inconvenient that it doesnt charge the phone but just buy a $10 car charger and your set. I don't know what you mean about the beeping, mine doesnt beep at all. I'm happy with how it works. Its pretty cool when your listening to music and ur phone rings, the music fades out and your ringtone plays through the speakers until u answer the call and when ur done with the call the music fades back in and resumes exactly where it left off. The only complaint I could have is that I've been told that the person on the phone hears their voice coming back to them. I guess due to the fact that the phone is picking up the voice coming through the car speakers. Oh well, sucks for the person calling.
The beeping comes from the product I listed. I mite just buy it so it can hold and charge the phone but use an Audio cable so I don't have to use the FM transmitter.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Considering it doesn't have a mic angeled toward your driver's seat, I'm betting the voice quality is pretty bad. Have you read more reviews?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parrot makes bluetooth kits with wired FM direct modulators, isimple makes a unit that will allow you to control the ipod through the factory head unit, but it won't charge the newest gen iphone. Neither of these products beep intermittently. A cheaper route is to go with a single din head unit with USB and bluetooth. You will end up spending less. The product you posted seems okay sans the beeping but I'd rather be able to do all of this through the radio without having to mess with the iphone.

For example, Sony MEX-BT2600 or Pioneer DEH-5100UB are from $150 to $200 at best buy.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Counted Out
The beeping comes from the product I listed. I mite just buy it so it can hold and charge the phone but use an Audio cable so I don't have to use the FM transmitter.

You keep mentioning using an auxiliary input to replace the FM modulator. As I read it, that device doesn't have any other output besides FM modulation. There is no place to connect an auxiliary output to go to your stereo. Not only that but if you have a factory radio, you don't have an auxiliary input to connect it to. The device has only a power connector and a 3.5mm cable between the phone and the holder. There is no mention of a direct-connect option to bypass the FM modulator.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You keep mentioning using an auxiliary input to replace the FM modulator. As I read it, that device doesn't have any other output besides FM modulation. There is no place to connect an auxiliary output to go to your stereo. Not only that but if you have a factory radio, you don't have an auxiliary input to connect it to. The device has only a power connector and a 3.5mm cable between the phone and the holder. There is no mention of a direct-connect option to bypass the FM modulator.
I have an aftermarket deck with an AUX port on the back, I could run the AUX cord into the headphone jack - I don't see a need for the cradle to need an input. Unless I'm missing something.

I'm also looking into the Motorola T505 but it's just a Bluetooth and FM Transmitter so I would have to hold the phone or buy a cradle separately.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trojan35
Considering it doesn't have a mic angeled toward your driver's seat, I'm betting the voice quality is pretty bad. Have you read more reviews?
You can angle the thing anyway you want, I'm pretty sure it uses your iPhones Mic. I've read reviews on a Porsche forum and those guys all seem to love it.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Not exactly... the 3.5mm plug is a headset plug (4 conductor) not a stereo plug (3 conductor) that you would use for your auxiliary input (although I'm sure Apple has an answer to that). I'm just not sure the mic will work if there is a plug in that jack.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Launching!

I'm has the head phone plug in right in front so that is what i use. I just need to get the holder for it now I'm going with proclick at they are really nice and hold very well..I love pandora but slacker radio has more songs though it's easier to drop.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Not exactly... the 3.5mm plug is a headset plug (4 conductor) not a stereo plug (3 conductor) that you would use for your auxiliary input (although I'm sure Apple has an answer to that). I'm just not sure the mic will work if there is a plug in that jack.
My friend has his hooked up with an AUX cable, I'll ask him how he did his.

Thanks for all the help everyone. As you can tell I know nothing about stereos/electronics.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm looking for a little more info on this subject.

I have an auxiliary input and a regular stereo cable from my iphone's headphone jack to the head unit. My problem is that when I receive a call, I don't hear anything. Not from the phone or the car speakers. I'm wondering if my cable needs to be compatible or something.

Anyone that has successfully used a stereo cable to aux input for hands free, could you please give me more details on your setup? Brand/model of cable, iPhone model, etc? This sounds so awesomely simple, that I just want it to work.