Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sail panel Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sail panel Options

What are my options for replacing the blown speaker in my sail panel?

Spent the morning reading the forum and I'm pretty confused.
Here is what I think will work with a factory setup:
http://www.keeaudio.com/audioipe.html
http://www.keeaudio.com/bazooka.html
http://www.keeaudio.com/cdtmidbass.html

The Bazooka and CDT seem to be popular over here. Which CDT is the one to go with, they have way too many ******* products?

ED seems to make a sub, but it looks like you have to cut a hole in the sheet metal which I would rather not due unless the performance was worth it.

Also came across a Kicker sub http://www.kicker.com/comp_vt how are these? (I realize these are SVC)

Rockford and JL both seem to make a product that is no longer available.

So what are my options not taking $$$ into consideration. (I want to stay with the factory setup and look. Don't plan on putting a sub in the trunk anytime soon)

Last edited by 2002 Trans Am; 10-31-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audiopipe and Bazookas are both DVC 6.5" subwoofers. Neither need any mods to go in. The Bazookas have been pretty bulletproof and do very well.
The eD are also DVC but need a little modding to get in right from what I understand. They are a nice product though.
The CDT CL-6 are more geared toward midbass but can hit low frequency bass (as low as 50hz) very well. They really benefit from aftermarket power for full potential though. The M-6, M-6+, ES-06 and ES-06+ can hit very hard but aftermarket power is mandatory for those. The M-6+ and ES-06+ would both need some spacers to fit due to depth. All however are SVC so if you plan on staying stock you'd be better off with one of the DVC subs.
Hope this helps a bit!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Audiopipe and Bazookas are both DVC 6.5" subwoofers. Neither need any mods to go in. The Bazookas have been pretty bulletproof and do very well.
The eD are also DVC but need a little modding to get in right from what I understand. They are a nice product though.
The CDT CL-6 are more geared toward midbass but can hit low frequency bass (as low as 50hz) very well. They really benefit from aftermarket power for full potential though. The M-6, M-6+, ES-06 and ES-06+ can hit very hard but aftermarket power is mandatory for those. The M-6+ and ES-06+ would both need some spacers to fit due to depth. All however are SVC so if you plan on staying stock you'd be better off with one of the DVC subs.
Hope this helps a bit!
Which do you prefer between the Audipipe and Bazooka?
Can the stock monsoon amp be replaced? I'm more of a plug n play person, so I don't want any amps exposed or wires running all over the place.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

the DVC will do u good IMO with factory amp, ive seen ppl very happy with them here.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 343 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Which do you prefer between the Audipipe and Bazooka?
Can the stock monsoon amp be replaced? I'm more of a plug n play person, so I don't want any amps exposed or wires running all over the place.
This as plug and play as it going to get: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ll-w-pics.html
Old 11-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Banned

My personal preference are the Bazookas because they have a bit more excursion over the Audiopipes.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Any thoughts between the bazooka's and the JL 6.5 w3 subs/
Old 11-14-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As long as the mounting depth is not over 3.125" you shouldn't need to do any metal cutting.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by taguy94
Any thoughts between the bazooka's and the JL 6.5 w3 subs/
The JL is a nicer subwoofer but it isn't optimal to work with the stock system because it is a SVC 4ohm sub. The Bazooka subs work very well being DVC so they can work in both Firebird and Camaros equipped with the stock Monsoon system. In that case an aftermarket amp would be a better choice for that. With that being said, CDT makes some incredibly nice 4ohm SVC subwoofers that can outperform almost any 6.5" subwoofer made.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

I've just installed a pair of Bazooka's in my Camaro behind a Kenwood 6140 head unit and the stock monsoon Amp. They hit and sustain far better than stock. I installed them with Dynomat both behind the speakers in the well, and on the face of the sheet metal they mounted to. I just drilled fresh holes to mount the speakers and then covered the speaker wire hole with another strip of mat to ensure a good seal. You'll have to wired them in parallel if going into a Camaro, Kee can give you details (there is a thread in here if you search).

I have a 10" powered bazooka tube in my 3rd gen, and this pair of subs is about 85-90% as strong as that stand alone sub. You're not going to win any audio contests, but if you just want nicer than stock without going all out with amps, etc, it is a good route to go.

I upgraded my door and hatch speakers a couple of years ago. All nice aftermarket speakers + a clean head unit with the stock amp makes for a darn nice system on a budget.