Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

MP3 Mass Storage Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MP3 Mass Storage Options

I currently have a JVC headunit that takes MP3 CD's, however, I recently have the desire for MORE that 650MB of MP3's and I hate changing CD's. So here are some options I have come up with for mass storage and playing of MP3's in the car and I need some help deciding. A few requirements are that I still want to be able to use the steering wheel controls, which I am already doing on my JVC headunit with the IR adapter and I also want to be able to view the MP3 ID3 tag information.

Also note I have 17GB's of MP3's I would like to have in the car, although I could probably do with about 10GB's.

Option 1: Add JVC 12 Disc MP3 CD Changer.
Capacity: 9.1GB
Cost: $130
Pros: Inexpensive, easy install
Cons: Not quite as much space as I wanted. May not display ID3 tag information because my headunit is an older generation than the changer.

Option 2: New JVC headunit and JVC 12 Disc MP3 CD Changer
Capacity: 9.1GB
Cost: $368
Pros: Easy install, could sell old headunit to help with cost, will display all ID3 tag information, 4V preouts instead of 2V current ones, newer style headunit is a few new features.
Cons: Not quite as much space as I wanted.

Option 3a: 20GB iPod
Capacity: 20GB
Cost: $530 includes accessories like IR remote adapter and car charger.
Pros: Much more capacity. Easy install, portable outside of car.
Cons: Not as clean of an install. Mounting issues, although may fabricate small mount infront of cig lighter next to TCS switch.

Option 3b: 40GB iPod
Capacity: 40GB
Cost: $630 includes accessories like IR remote adapter and car charger.
Pros: Much more capacity. Easy install, portable outside of car.
Cons: Not as clean of an install. Mounting issues, although may fabricate small mount infront of cig lighter next to TCS switch.

Option 4: Carputer with Touch Screen
Capacity: 80GB
Cost $1160 approx.
Pros: Super slick. Can have even more capacity. Movie capability. Can add GPS Nav, ATAP, internet, etc.
Cons: Expensive. Super difficult install with much fabrication.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

Last edited by skytower31; 01-02-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I think Kenwood had something called an MP3 Keg. If I remember correctly, it could be controlled like a CD Changer. You might want to check that out or maybe others on here know what I am talking about.

--VIP1
Old 01-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

You can go ahead and scratch options 3 and 4 off because the battery in the IPods only lasts 18months and can't be recharged wihtout you either (1) sending it to Apple and they'll put in a new battery $250, or (2) doing it yourself with a new battery costing $100.

http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

I myself am actually going with Option 4 for the incredible capabilities and versatility. If you do it right, it shouldn't cost you that much. I myself am looking for jsut a power supply that accepts the 12V from the car battery. Or you can get a regular old PC and put in a power inverter and run the computer that way.

If none of these, then I'd go with Option 2.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Now that site is regarding the 1st gen iPods. Do you have any info about the current 3rd gens? My friend has had one for a while and has not had problems. I will have to look into it though because that is what I really want. It will give me a ton of storage and I will be able to take it out of the car and use it elsewhere. Anyway, thanks for the info.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

i'd wait for the dvd players. The new ones will play mp3's on dvd+-/r/rw. then you can watch movies with a screen if you decide to bling.

i dont care for jvc. Stands for junk with various controls. a great headunit is the key to great sound. I regret putting the $130 sony xplod junk mp3 head unit in my car. I shoulda spent a few more bucks and got a better quality unit. Not that it skips or doesnt anything wierd. The remote is lame (credit card type) and well the SNR with even high quality VBR mp3's leaves a little to be desired.

The same mp3's on my $59 pc speakers sound 10x more vibrant, and my dub is well setup with 4" dash, components door, 6.5" rear mid, 10" sub , with two amps,active crossover. Whole setup cost $500 including wiring due to the honda locals needing chicken scratch and opportunity. The head unit was new of course.

Next time i'll stick to tried and true pioneer/clarion. Always has pleased me much more without breaking the bank.

also the sony takes a few seconds to boot a new disc (Several actually) really annoying. They certainly can afford 64megs of sram or nvram to store all the file info so every time you power the car it doesn't take forever to boot a full cd.

Whenever someone comes out with a hacked XM radio setup i might wanna upgrade to that too, so you might keep that as an option on HU choices.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone else?
Old 01-13-2004, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

you could build a carputer for less than 1100, you can find xvga screens on ebay for 340 shipped to your house, and thats the most expensive part. Pick up a micro-itx board with a gighertz processor already on it, with onboard everything for 200, build yourself a case, but a remote/keyboard/mouse and a dvd drive and a power supply. and you have yourself a little computer that can play dvd's and use winamp. If you want it to stay really small, get a laptop hard drive and laptop dvd drive. If you are starting with nothing, you should be able to find all the stuff you need for around 900 bucks.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

I have been looking at buying one of the Kenwood Music kegs for a while now. They have two options 10gig or 20gig. They are around $400-$500 depending on where you buy them. Of course they work best with a Kenwood head unit as well. They do make an adaptor to for use with other head units though. The only problem I see is that they only allow for a 1000 song title list. Everything after that you would need to know where the music is on the hard drive. Here is the Kenwood site for more info.
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/excelon/excelonKeg.jsp
Old 01-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Teching In

BigBlackZ28 and anyone else looking for a 12v ATX power supply should take a look at Opus Solutions. They are pricey, but are very good quality and have amazing features such as a shutdown controller and relay to boot when 12v ignition line is sensed. Much more on carputers can be found at mp3car.com.

~Lucius