Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Mounting two amps to the rear deck

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mounting two amps to the rear deck

I am going to be installing two amps on my rear deck. What is the best way to go about this? Should I get some wood or something and glue it to the deck under the carpet and screw the amps to this? I need some advice... (type of wood, thickness, etc. etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Should've just put this in along with your other thread..but if you want to be simple just secure them on the back deck and just lift the carpet and screw the amps to the carpet with some small screws. Of you can get creative and try some different ideas, just look around on here for what people have done.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, don't screw amps to carpet. Carpet is not strong and that will not hold in the event of an accident. Dangerous. You could probably use a bolt and a fender washer on the carpet to prevent the bolt from pulling through if you wanted.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

I've had mine like that since day one and with all the screws in it doesn't move.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...lkthrough.html
Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
I've had mine like that since day one and with all the screws in it doesn't move.
Sure, but have you had a serious (airbag deployment) accident? Your amp could become a projectile in that situation.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Sure, but have you had a serious (airbag deployment) accident? Your amp could become a projectile in that situation.
No but i also have a box built around it to help hold it in place. I think on one/two of the screws i have a bolt holding it but oh well.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

what is with this guy^? DONT mount amps to carpet. They will become projectiles in accidents. You can search for incidents where this happened and broke the windshield. Spend a few bucks, make your own amp rack or buy one from a dealer. Also, dont screw them to the hump, you could hit the gas tank.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

i used a board...carpeted it. much more secure and looks pretty. gonna plexiglass the bitch and put some fancy schmancy lights in there too...but thats later.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by b's90cam
what is with this guy^? DONT mount amps to carpet. They will become projectiles in accidents. You can search for incidents where this happened and broke the windshield. Spend a few bucks, make your own amp rack or buy one from a dealer. Also, dont screw them to the hump, you could hit the gas tank.
Mine's not screwed to the hump, just small bolts through carpet. And like said, the amp is also in a box and can't move either way, can't even see the amp. No, screwing them into carpet itself won't hold it in..I was just saying what I've done.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
Mine's not screwed to the hump, just small bolts through carpet. And like said, the amp is also in a box and can't move either way, can't even see the amp. No, screwing them into carpet itself won't hold it in..I was just saying what I've done.
Well, in that case, I hope you never get hit in the back of the head with a flying amp after smashing your face into an airbag behind the wheel of your car.

Don't give dangerous advice like that to others...it's your car, do what you want (and I feel bad for any passengers who are unknowingly at the same potential risk of a searious head injury)...but don't tell others to do it when it's a very dangerous thing to do.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Well, in that case, I hope you never get hit in the back of the head with a flying amp after smashing your face into an airbag behind the wheel of your car.

Don't give dangerous advice like that to others...it's your car, do what you want (and I feel bad for any passengers who are unknowingly at the same potential risk of a searious head injury)...but don't tell others to do it when it's a very dangerous thing to do.
I can 100% guarantee the amp wouldn't fly out ha. The box with the amp in it can't even be moved/lifted unless the hatch is open and i really pull on it and its secured along with being stuck between my sub box and back seat. You guys haven't seen my setup so quit judging how my stuff is secured, I've already made sure when i installed everything nothing would move, even tried hard accelerating along with slamming the brakes and sharp turns..calm down people, really. It's like saying my sub box in the hatch is going to fly at me haha. Getting bent outta shape when you don't know what you're even talking about.

Here's a pic of the area, and how its been for awhile.

So tell me, how is that amp is going to hit me?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

If that rack thing is secured then it won't but you didn't suggest that here - you just suggested screwing it into the carpet. By the way, it looks like your amp probably can't breathe very well there.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Thought i mentioned that, my fault. And yeah I am going to install some sort of fan system soon, but it hasn't gotten hot on me at all, even after full tilt and I check all the time. Still going to be safe though and figure out how to ventilate it and how to properly run fans. If anyone has wired something up like that or some ideas, PM me some info.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

I would drill some holes through the top of your amp rack and make it more like a mesh top for ventilation.