Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Head unit is too freakin' bright - how can I dim it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head unit is too freakin' bright - how can I dim it?

OK guys-

It could just be me, but this thing is like laser bright. It's a Pioneer DEH-7700MP.. On the "0" setting for brightness, it is still waaaay to bright.. Sometimes I'll flip the face down just so I don't have to be blinded by it.. It could be just the way I like my lights, I usually turn everything down as low as it'll go in the cockpit, so maybe it's just me..

What I'm wondering is if I could put a manual dimmer switch on the thing? Like a rheostat of some sort to dial the joker down even further? Is this possible or am I dreaming?

Thanks guys

J
Old 04-10-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

I sold my double din tv/dvd because I couldnt even listen to the radio at night without being blinded
Old 04-10-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u hook the dimmer wire up to it
Old 04-10-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK here is what I did, it helped. I carefully removed the 5 screws from the back of my detachable display. I inserted a small piece of blue plastic between the LED's and the display part that Glow. This helped to diffuse the light coming through the display. It's not perfect but I am happy.

I used a piece of tape we use at work for sealing up cases on the production line. I folded the tape over onto itself carefully as not to have any wrinkles and cut it to size.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might be able to take the faceplate apart and put a piece of tint on the inside of the front face, then put it all back together again.....not really sure, i haven't taken one of those faceplates apart yet myself.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

So no one has ever tried to put a rheostat on the dimmer line to dim it?
Old 04-14-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tint it?
Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, I could tint it, but then I'd have go into settings and jack the brightness back up to be able to see anything in the day time..

There has to be a way to control the power put to the head unit which controls the brightness... Isn't the dimmer switch supposed to be allow the head unit to be dimmed with the car light swtich?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Pioneer head units don't connect to the factory dimmer wire - they connect to the factory parking light wire. They have a simple on/off configuration for their display dimming. If the car's lights are off the Pioneer display is bright, if the car's lights are on the Pioneer display is dim. Connect the orange with white wire from the head unit to the corresponding wire in the adapter harness or to the brown wire in the factory 10-pin white connector. Using the factory dimmer wire (gray) or adding some kind of external control (rheostat) will have no effect.

The menu has separate settings for brightness and for dimmer on/off. If the dimmer setting is off then the display will always be at the brighness level you selected regardless of whether the headlights are on.

Quick Reply: Head unit is too freakin' bright - how can I dim it?