Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Kit for the Birds

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think im gonna grab a set to replace my stock housings with hids
Old 04-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
^^^ How was this achieved?
That's the pattern that a projector lens produces. It's how factory HIDs and projector HID retrofits look. You can easily see the difference compared to the earlier photos of the pattern created by HIDs in reflector housings.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Banned

wow these are much better! i need to get me a set!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Does the LMC kits also fit the 2002 WS6 also?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Teching In

where can I find the 35 watt, 9006, 600k bulb that is straight and not right angled?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyJ
where can I find the 35 watt, 9006, 600k bulb that is straight and not right angled?
The straight bulbs have a "XS" in the model number. 9005 is angled and 9005XS is straight.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

is the low beam the 9005 or 9006 im ordering an hid kit from hidny and wanna get em rite the first time?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

its the 9006
Old 05-14-2011, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That's the pattern that a projector lens produces. It's how factory HIDs and projector HID retrofits look. You can easily see the difference compared to the earlier photos of the pattern created by HIDs in reflector housings.
The LMC truck lights seem to have a decent cut-off. I would agree with your argument completely, if it were not for the fact that when driving, the vehicle's suspension (unless you have a Porsche Turbo) does not compensate for the light's angle, and end up blinding everyone anyways. I've had my retinas scarred from many a BMW and Lexus factory HID setups. A happy medium would to be aim the conversion HID's down to the point where everyone is not getting blinded on the flat and level. No lighting system is perfect, and I strongly agree with the poster above who said that increased visibility is safety in itself.. I've had many a sketchy moment when something I couldn't see (due to crap OEM headlights) showed up in front of my car. I installed 35W HID lights in my 2010 Malibu as well, (non-projector) and actually had my wife drive toward me so I could adjust it for minimal glare. I filled the only source of glare (little bowtie inside the factory reflector) and all is good. It's illegal, yes, but so is modding your exhaust system. The reasons behind the laws arent always cut and dry, and bright halogens glare pretty bad, too.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Did this kit on my car and made a huge difference.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
The LMC truck lights seem to have a decent cut-off.
I would like to point out that the posted photo actually was an LMC conversion. Note how there are bright spots above the cutoff line (circled in red) and light scatter across the entire width (circled in yellow). That's caused by the misplacement of the light source within the reflector. You can make it less annoying by aiming the lamps down but you can't get rid of it because it's a function of the shape and position of the arc of the HID capsules. Besides, aiming down really kind of eliminates the benefit of extended light range.

I would agree with your argument completely, if it were not for the fact that when driving, the vehicle's suspension (unless you have a Porsche Turbo) does not compensate for the light's angle, and end up blinding everyone anyways. I've had my retinas scarred from many a BMW and Lexus factory HID setups. A happy medium would to be aim the conversion HID's down to the point where everyone is not getting blinded on the flat and level.
Actually, BMW factory HIDs are self-leveling (at least they were in my 330Ci) so they constantly adjust position to compensate for road angle. My Mustang doesn't have self-leveling but the cutoff is below the window level of other cars so it is seldom a problem. Granted, road irregularities will cause the light to bounce up sometimes but that results in only momentary bright flashes for other drivers. That's quite a bit different from having lights producing constant glare that blinds other drivers.

No lighting system is perfect, and I strongly agree with the poster above who said that increased visibility is safety in itself.. I've had many a sketchy moment when something I couldn't see (due to crap OEM headlights) showed up in front of my car. I installed 35W HID lights in my 2010 Malibu as well, (non-projector) and actually had my wife drive toward me so I could adjust it for minimal glare. I filled the only source of glare (little bowtie inside the factory reflector) and all is good. It's illegal, yes, but so is modding your exhaust system. The reasons behind the laws arent always cut and dry, and bright halogens glare pretty bad, too.
I've never figured out why people say things like "it's no worse than an illegal exhaust". A loud exhaust is annoying but it won't affect the safety of other drivers. HID conversion kits are illegal because they affect the safety of other drivers not because some bureaucrat decided to regulate something.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

has anybody just put the lights in without the hid kit?? How are they. Do you need the harness from lmc to do that?? I am tired of my crappy lights when I am doing wot tuning at night.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by rpmauto
has anybody just put the lights in without the hid kit?? How are they. Do you need the harness from lmc to do that?? I am tired of my crappy lights when I am doing wot tuning at night.
See this post for pictures of the installed housings without HID bulbs, just as God intended. They are great and no regrets. Even though they pull the same power as stock, the lighting is more intense and much more even.

This thread also shows how I addressed the connector and made a direct connection. (without the adapter)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ht-option.html
Old 05-22-2011, 03:34 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

These pictures are exactly why I decided to spend the money on the BLS kit. It's pricey, but check out the pictures in his threads, it has a perfect cut off and excellent lighting.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

I think you talked me into them. Going to be ordering soon.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Ok so my 02 Hawk has a LEDGauges.com 6000K HID kit in it now, and yes I know they went outta business, the HID kit is spliced into the headlight motor wiring to supply them power so that they can work. So when I turn my headlights on the headlight motor wiring feeds power to them to flip them up and also feeds power to the balasts to light up the HID bulbs.

I need to replace my passenger side headlight motor, so my question is can I get these LMC Truck housings, get a DDM Tuning 6000K HID Kit, and have it all work in sync, (flip the switch on, lights flip up, lights stay up, lights come on, lights stay on, when I flip switch off, lights turn off, lights stay off, lights flip down, lights stay down) WITHOUT having to splice the DDM kit into the new headlight motor to supply power to everything to work??? Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

And to help anyone understand how the ledgauges kit is setup to work and to see what I'm talking about click on this link http://www.ledgauges.com/firebirdguide.html and read the installation guide, maybe once you see it, it'll make more sense.

Thanks guys,

THE F-BODY KING
U.S. ARMY
Old 05-30-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HID's in reflector housings are dangerous.

If you guys upgrade housings look at running an HIR bulb. They are the brightest halogen you can go with. Also, upgrading your factory wiring harness as this alone will improve even your OE lighting output, let alone an upgraded system.

This is what I did for my prior F-body, 93 Z28:

Thread here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...installed.html
Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just so you guys know I bought these housings and put some of the high performance halogens from nokya and it burnt up the connectors. I bought the stock wattage lights too. The pig tails that come in this kit are really cheap and melt very easily. I took some nice connectors that my friend has laying around from all his HID retrofits he does and am using those instead. I also put the 9006's that came with the housings in the first place. My lights are yellow now instead of white, but hopefully they don't melt the connectors like the nokyas did. Just a heads up for you guys.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went with the conversion kit from xenonheadlights.net
Comes with everything you need, any K headlight you want, you'll just need to find housings for them
So does anybody know where to find some that are preferrably black?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Just so you guys know I bought these housings and put some of the high performance halogens from nokya and it burnt up the connectors. I bought the stock wattage lights too. The pig tails that come in this kit are really cheap and melt very easily. I took some nice connectors that my friend has laying around from all his HID retrofits he does and am using those instead. I also put the 9006's that came with the housings in the first place. My lights are yellow now instead of white, but hopefully they don't melt the connectors like the nokyas did. Just a heads up for you guys.
The connectors are also unsealed and will let moisture in.

This thread shows how to crimp the proper connectors and seals on the factory wires so we can skip the adapter that comes with the kits. https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ht-option.html

Quick Reply: New Kit for the Birds